what does the sport shift do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what does the sport shift do?

I have a 90 accord automatic... I was wondering what the difference between the 'sport' shift mode and the regular mode is, using that button. I tried both, they seem the same

Just a stupid question but I was curious

All it does is take it to redline basically doesnt do much IMO. I had it in my 90 and didnt feel much of a diff.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

ooo... is that under WOT? Cuz I didn't hammer it yet, just let it wind a bit. I thought it would firm the shifts or something. I guess I'll try it later, but I dunno if it's worth the time lol

Comment

I think it's more for if you need a little extra kick to pass someone on the highway or something. Mine has never worked, so I don't know how it feels/difference it makes.

Sean-Dinner.com

Comment

makes the shift points at higher rpm
          uh... if by overboosted you mean "right the fuck on" then, sure, it is.

Comment

believe sports mode is without overdrive, your auto tran dont switch to overdrive gear while in normal mode it does.

Comment

No, it'll go into 4th (OD) when in Sport mode. Mostly it's malarky. Notice it's gone in the 92-93 cars.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

One way to feel what it does is to turn it off sort of mid-way through accelerating. Let me explain what I did recently.

I was going about half throttle from a stop light the other day, with "S" on, about half way through 2nd I turned the button off, my revs urked abruptly and it upshifted right away.

Like others say, it extends the shifting pattern, whereas without it, you would upshift at, say 3k rpm under 1/4 throttle, with "S" on it would shift at about 4k instead. Just an example, not saying that describes the pattern correctly at all, thats just to give you an idea of what it does.

It's pretty much useless though...what I would really want it to do is stay in a lower gear, say, when I need to go through a corner, and I want the transmission to stay in a particular gear, even if I let off the throttle; to keep the power going, to keep me in the right gear to exit, and to maintain balance.

That can be done by manually shifting the AT, but to have the "S" do it intelligently would have been nice...but it doesn't. Even with "S" engaged, if you let off the throttle it will upshift, and if you were hoping to stay in 2nd, well, too bad.. swap to 5-speed

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                where you been, is something wrong?
                i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
                  One way to feel what it does is to turn it off sort of mid-way through accelerating. Let me explain what I did recently.

I was going about half throttle from a stop light the other day, with "S" on, about half way through 2nd I turned the button off, my revs urked abruptly and it upshifted right away.

Like others say, it extends the shifting pattern, whereas without it, you would upshift at, say 3k rpm under 1/4 throttle, with "S" on it would shift at about 4k instead. Just an example, not saying that describes the pattern correctly at all, thats just to give you an idea of what it does.

It's pretty much useless though...what I would really want it to do is stay in a lower gear, say, when I need to go through a corner, and I want the transmission to stay in a particular gear, even if I let off the throttle; to keep the power going, to keep me in the right gear to exit, and to maintain balance.

That can be done by manually shifting the AT, but to have the "S" do it intelligently would have been nice...but it doesn't. Even with "S" engaged, if you let off the throttle it will upshift, and if you were hoping to stay in 2nd, well, too bad.. swap to 5-speed
                  Interesting. This makes me want to learn how to properly drive an automatic lol (I know it sounds funny but I'm serious). The only times I have ever driven an auto is for very short periods of time on rentals and friends cars.

Members Ride Thread

Comment

There isn't really a good way to drive an auto....stick with the 5 speed, take command of your powerband

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                    where you been, is something wrong?
                    i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
                      There isn't really a good way to drive an auto....stick with the 5 speed, take command of your powerband

Members Ride Thread

Comment

Sweet, thanks for the great responses! I kind of figured it would just let the gears wind out farther. It's gonna be my secondary car/ daily driver so being an automatic is actually kind of nice. The 5 speed is in my Mustang

It's a great car though. Today I'm supposed to be putting the front axles and springs in here at work. This one technician is gonna come in and help me do them using the lift/air tools etc etc. I work at a ford dealer as a driver.

Thanks again all

God bless

George

Comment

i found a used shift lever from a 91 auto at the junk yard that didn't have sports mode, after transfering over the maroon handle i kinda damage my sport mode button because i couldn't figure out how to slide the wire out of the lever. it used to click when pressed and depressed, now it sits there doing nothing.

after reading most of this thread, it looks like sports mode does squat so damaging that button or not, i'm not missing much.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeydude3
                            I have a 90 accord automatic... I was wondering what the difference between the 'sport' shift mode and the regular mode is, using that button. I tried both, they seem the same

Just a stupid question but I was curious

i have that...and no it doesn't do much...its the same just makes it shift faster...no diff....mine works just fine but why use it your just gonna fuck up the tranny....so i relocated mine and put it where i don't have to press it.....

check out the pic the car is a lil messy....sorry

Last edited by 2.2AZUL; 12-04-2006, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X