Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

h22, rebuild then turbo, options????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h22, rebuild then turbo, options????????

well i have been thinking about doing something to my car but i dont want to put any money into it yet without any direction. i have read and read about h22 and then other people say just rebuild then with the n=money i would use for swap i could make more power with the f22a1. so many options i so what would be better in the end i am sure with a 50 hp gain from an ha22 i would be satisfied but would it be easier to rebuild and then turbo charge, i have even heard about about putting diff head on the f22 block and so on. i think i am going to go crazy i really want to start doing something. i have read that the h22 you can find for about 1000 does that include everything i would need, what all do i need and how much is labor on this swap. will i have to relocate stuff like crazy seems that alot of people do this so any info would help. i have searched on this forum and read a ton of stuff i just have a few unclear questions that i wanted to discuss.
    1991 Honda Accord Lx 5spd manual

Not to hijack... but what is required to set the engine up to handle a turbo?

I know with Mustangs... they can handle a reasonable amount of boost on a stock block but you must forge the internals to go higher...

Is this true of these engines as well? I've been tossin around the turbo idea myself

Comment

if u could find an h22 for a 1000 it would be awesome.......its prolly gonna cost you anywhere between 1300-2000 bucks depending where you get it....the labor on this motor also depends usual flat fee (or at least in my area) is 800 plus you should change water pump timing belt ect. since the motor is already out its easier...so in the end with parts u need, labor and the motor its gonna cost you prolly about 3000-3500 dollars but remeber these are all ruff estimates.

Comment

this question does not deserve to be answered

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

about how many miles will these engines have on them when bought? so what about rebuilding and turbo cost wise and which would be best option?

Comment

could i use the tranny on my current car or do i have to buy the h22 tranny? what about the ecu does it need to be swaped out as well?

Comment

when people by the jdm h22a's they usually have somewhere around 50,000 miles depends where u buy from. As far as rebulding and turbo...If your gonna get it built then get it reubilt for turbo if thats the route u wanna go.CAuse h22 is a high compression motor.<<<this will be expensive cause your gonna do internals as well as a turbo setup...lots of machine shop work=expensive and i read u wanna pay for install...so your looking at alotta moneys.

The h22 swap is pretty straight foward...accord motor mounts work....you gotta run a couple of wires

Yes an f22 tranny will bolt upto the h22 but you cant use your f22 ecu...you can use the p13 or get another ecu chipped such as p28,p72 theres others

i have only skimmed the surface though u need to reaserach and READ alot MORE cause the answerss are everywhere heres a link...

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8873

start there this will tell u everything about an h22 swap in a cb7 step by step
              then move on to learning about turbo
              My Members Ride Thread

Comment

so about how much would it cost to do a rebuild of the f22 then turbo? the reason i ask here is cause you guys have done this and i read and things dont make sense sometimes sorry if some of the questions i ask are redundant but you guys asked at some point, but all that is past the points just wanted to get some opinios on which would be more worth it and spend less if possible.

thanks

Comment

well if you have a good running f22....theres no need to rebuild...do a compression test on the motor...if its good and motors in good conditon you can turbo it for pretty cheap...get a dsm setup pieced together probly under 1000 running a like 8psi if you have stock internals and if u decide to build up the motor you can slap on a bigger turbo...for prices on on internals chekc f22parts.com or dhracing.com<<<<talk to him about building a motor...or even your local shops
                  My Members Ride Thread

Comment

well the reason i started thinking about this was the other day i did a spark plug change and i saw something weird. when i changed the plugs they were about half way tightened loose really loose. when i pulled the plugs out they all had oil on the threads but what is weird is that the car does not feel like it is missing at all. i had a supra once that had a leaky cylinder and would foul the plug and i could feel the putter and even at idle but i dont feel that so i think it might be that the plugs were not on tight and oil seeped in. i dont know if that makes since but maybe we can figure it out. i think that i will see about a compression test will that tell me if there is a leak?

Comment

Originally posted by abelh7
                      well the reason i started thinking about this was the other day i did a spark plug change and i saw something weird. when i changed the plugs they were about half way tightened loose really loose. when i pulled the plugs out they all had oil on the threads but what is weird is that the car does not feel like it is missing at all. i had a supra once that had a leaky cylinder and would foul the plug and i could feel the putter and even at idle but i dont feel that so i think it might be that the plugs were not on tight and oil seeped in. i dont know if that makes since but maybe we can figure it out. i think that i will see about a compression test will that tell me if there is a leak?
                      Check this thread out about the oil on the plugs... http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...&threadid=9300
                      Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
                      Project 240SX
                      Originally posted by chillin943
                      anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
                      Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

those are your spark plug tube seals....you dont need to rebuild a motor for that...very simple fix...get your self a repair manual....
                        My Members Ride Thread

Comment

some of those steps seem pretty easy but the ones lke valve adjustment and take the timing belt off are kinda scary cause if i mess i up i am in more crap than i am now. but i guess i will keep reading it over and over order the parts and do it.

Comment

your thirst for power will only grow and grow. you can build your f22 for turbo to equal the h22 true. it could cost just as much or more than the h22 swap. look at it this way. when you do crave for more power with the h22 build it for turbo. quite a bit of building but you can surpass any f22's capabilites.

the h22 is a direct swap. a h22 swap can vary in price as well. depends on if you have a auto or 5spd already and if you wanna to go from auto to 5 spd. i paid about 2850 for my install and motor. it was the jdm h22a auto though. account for buying a header to. i paided like 3 hundred something for a dc ceramic. a swap won't include a complete header. you can always do your own swap. you save a ton and you learn in the process. once you do it yourself, you'd see how much shops rip you off. if you have a buddy, grap him. a mechanical buddy that know honda is even better.

as far as building the h22 for a reiable turbo. tuning is key for one. remember that. but most run forged pistons for turbos, and you will need to resleeve the block to start. a beefy bottom can be your insurance. if you stay stock i have heard a few running up to 10-12psi on a stock block. thats pushing it on the frm block. 6-8psi is what most try to stay around. but as your thirst grows you will increase the psi so you might as well just resleeve, get it over with and boost double digits if you want.

but there a tons of writes up on things that are in question. not being a di@k but there are. you can also head over to hondatech.com. another good source for the mentioned topics.
                            91 Ex CB9
                            JDM h22 auto swap, now w/H23 5spd conversion, short ram intake w/K&N filter, DC ceramic header, 2.25" custom catback exhaust, AMR Engineering coilovers, 205/50/16's Enkei RS5's, front slotted rotors, Xenon body kit.

W.I.P.
                            p72 ecu on Hondata

To Come
                            Weight Reductions
                            R33 or R34 front end

Comment

Working...
                            X