tcm/S light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tcm/S light.

ok guys. the S light on my automatic tranny stays on all the time. it DOES NOT blink. the car will go directly to 2nd gear and drive fine after that. i can manual shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear to 3rd gear.
    i tryed to pull the code out of the car and the S light just stays one.
    after pulling the tcm out of the car to check it out whats wrong with it(nothign was wrong with it, no burn resistors etc) and installing it back the S light was still one. but after 2 hours it took it off and the car drove fine but only to come on one day later and the car will bypass the first gear.
    i know many of you will say "tcm is bad" but i would like to hear from someone who Actually had this problem
    and i don't have adobe reader on my pc and i can't install it for some reason.
    can someone who has the on line manual read what does it say when the S light stays one. or on the diagnostic page>>> what does it say if the tranny bypasses the first gear.
    thank you.
    Last edited by alb_accord; 11-21-2006, 12:02 PM.
    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Does it move in any other position on the selector? I have symptoms like moves in R and 2, but not in D3, D4 or 1; moves in D3, D4, 1, R, but not in 2; moves in D3, D4, 2, but not in R.....there is not symptom that says "skips 1st gear"...

I'm looking at the 90 accord service manual btw....

Lets see..under diagnostic codes there is no code 0, it says

"If the LED displays codes other than those listed above or stays lit continuously, the control unit is faulty."

I know you didn't want to hear that, but there it is.

I sold a tcu to a guy here, didn't solve his problem so he prob has it available for sale if you want another one

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
    where you been, is something wrong?
    i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

i had the same prob. i replaced my tcm and its all good now .... they just go bad for some unkown reason......if your positive its not the tcm(not sure how you could be) might be your solinoids are cloged or working inproperly and wont shift into 1st and it just skips it

idk i say just replace the tcm more than likely thats your problem like i said thats what it was on my car
      R.I.P. 6-10-07

(\__/)
      (O.o )
      (> < )

My Rotor DIY
      I'm not perfect i will make mistakes if i do just point it out to me

Comment

well i just installed adobe reader and read the service manual. yes it says if the S light stays lit all the time then its a bad tcm.
        i came to the conclusion that if i can manual shift it into the first gear and the tcm won't kick in the first gear when u start driving then it has to be a bad tcm.
        the things that bugs me the most is why this problem its not persistent.
        but for now i will get a tcm and see what happens.
        i don't think its a selenoid because they will throw a different code.
        thanks for replying though.

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord
          well i just installed adobe reader and read the service manual. yes it says if the S light stays lit all the time then its a bad tcm.
          i came to the conclusion that if i can manual shift it into the first gear and the tcm won't kick in the first gear when u start driving then it has to be a bad tcm.
          the things that bugs me the most is why this problem its not persistent.
          but for now i will get a tcm and see what happens.
          i don't think its a selenoid because they will throw a different code.
          thanks for replying though.
          Hey, any update on the new TCM?
          91 EX F22A4 - Stock w/ 220k mi
          My Ride - 12/06

Comment

i wonder if those refurbed ones on ebay work?

Comment

Originally posted by Leung
              i wonder if those refurbed ones on ebay work?
              I bought one of them and it has worked great for over a year now.

The 90 Accord 4DR Sedan my son and I are building.

Comment

was there a particular seller you bought it from?

Comment

Originally posted by Leung
                  was there a particular seller you bought it from?
                  I got mine from these folks;
                  http://stores.ebay.com/AUTO-COMPUTER...Q3amesstQQtZkm

Comment

Looked at all of this post and I wanted to ask ....
                    TCU means Transmission Control unit and ECU is Engine..Right?
                    The 91 coupe has a continuous blinking green S light and the check engine stays on. So does that mean a problem with a engine or transmission item? I know to check the codes , but am I reading for the TCU or ECU Code list?

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                    New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                    My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

ok the check engine code was 6
                      the Green "S" is 14
                      I'm guessing the 14 is the IAC but what is the 6?

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow
                        ok the check engine code was 6
                        the Green "S" is 14
                        I'm guessing the 14 is the IAC but what is the 6?
                        I think you have that backwards as there is no code 14 for the tcu. Here are the tcu codes;
                        http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelpk...TCM_codes1.PDF

Here are the ecm codes;
                        http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelpk.../ECM_codes.PDF

Comment

#14 tcm. short or open FAS wire. trouble in the PGM-FI unit.
                          the symtom is-> trasmision jerks hard when shifting.

Comment

I dont know how exactly this will help. My ecu read code zero. I replaced it and when i did the TCM gave me a code 14 twice. It did not fiz my problem and it still wouldnt shift.

If there is a short then its in the pins. Some one in here knows how to remove them and replace them but i havent seen his post or him in a long time.

I think that if I just replace the ecu tcm and connectors i should be fine. I doubt its an open wire or a failed sensor . other wise it wouldnt engage in the gears over half the time.

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord
                              #14 tcm. short or open FAS wire. trouble in the PGM-FI unit.
                              the symtom is-> trasmision jerks hard when shifting.
                              Still confused. In your quote you state #14 tcu. How do you know the code is from ECU or TCU?
                              All I know is the yellow check flashed 6 times
                              the "S' green flashed one long and four short (14)
                              So again..is the yellow one the ECU reading and the green TCU? Or is that the other way around?
                              symptoms of the 91 coupe is
                              corroded Fast Idle
                              shifter stuck in Park (rear lights work, fuses are fine)
                              Has a slight jerk when slowing down to a stop. More like a rough down shift but it's an automatic.
                              Last edited by SilverShadow; 03-14-2007, 10:30 AM.

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com

Comment

Working...
                              X