Clutch Master Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Master Cylinder

Well, tonight I was driving when I noticed my clutch felt different, (I just changed the tranny sunday night, so I am still getting use to it but you know how you can tell somethings just not right) So I go to turn around notice I have no pressure in the clutch, So I shift with no clutch until I get back to my house, I was only a few blocks away so thats why I did it.

Upon further examination I came to the conclusion my clutch master slave cylinder is leaking.

My questions are, How bad is it to do? I've seen some threads where people said it was a bitch, some said it wasn't too bad.

Has anyone had trouble loosening the flare nut? I already sprayed it with PB Blaster, but my worst fear is having that snap on me and me having to replace the line (I have no garage, I'll be working outside in the freezing cold weather, literally with just a flashlight.)

And approximately how much brake fluid did you guys use when you fully bled the system? When I changed my tranny at my work I had basically an unlimited amount, but I just want to know whether or not I should buy another bottle or not, I probably will just to be safe.

Master cylinder is in fact a bitch. Flare nut is not the problem, as long as you use flare wrenches. The bitch is the nut that is inside, the upper one which is in a tight location. You are going to need a few extensions, and a flex joint that will allow it to move, and a deep 12mm socket.

2 of those small bottles of brake fluid should be fine. Replace the slave cylinder at the same time.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
      Master cylinder is in fact a bitch. Flare nut is not the problem, as long as you use flare wrenches. The bitch is the nut that is inside, the upper one which is in a tight location. You are going to need a few extensions, and a flex joint that will allow it to move, and a deep 12mm socket.

2 of those small bottles of brake fluid should be fine. Replace the slave cylinder at the same time.

Well I have all those tools you've mentioned so I think I should be in some pretty good shape I hope, lol. The slave cylinder isn't going to be replaced, I just did it 2 nights ago when I changed out the whole transmission!

Comment

You gonna replace the clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder while your at it?

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Clutch master cylinder replacement is easy, you can do it in you driveway. Matter of fact, I have a brand new one for sale if you need it.
          00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

It is easy, except after you're done you always end up scraping the shit out of your hands reaching around the pedal assembly.
            Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

It was easy for me but thats when i was doing my auto to manual conv. So the clutch pedal wasn't there. But the only prob is what they said, the top bolt on the master cylinder. It is a little tight under there.

Comment

I think my master cylinder is gone..bled the clutch a few minutes ago and nothing changed, still letting out right on the floor. so do I need to change both the master and the slave cylinders?..or just the master cylinder?

EDIT: Just saw where the master has been leaking. Going to pick-up the new one now and replace tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.
                Last edited by GunRunner; 02-03-2007, 03:22 PM.
                -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
                -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
                -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Yeah Keith replace them both at the same time. If you need help call me because I just did this like 2 months ago.
                  Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

on average how long does it take to completely bleed the clutch?
                    -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                    -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Decently long time if you dont bench bleed the MC. If you replace both slave and master cylinder its gonna take a while.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      I piss off people for fun.
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                        Decently long time if you dont bench bleed the MC. If you replace both slave and master cylinder its gonna take a while.
                        replaced only the master to begin with and worked with it for almost an hour..went to the store and bought a slave and had pressure on the clutch in about 40min.

got it going again ...now I think the cheap oem replacement clutch is slipping after 63k
                        -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                        -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Working...
                        X