Burning Oil After Oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning Oil After Oil Change

Alright, I finished changing my oil just a few minutes ago. Following that, I took it out for a drive for five minutes or so. I was driving it a bit hard when I took it out. While i was driving I came to a stop and smoke started coming out from under the hood. I got out a took a look under the hood and it smelt like burning oil! First of all my car has not had a problem of burning oil. I had been driving the car a couple hours before, and nothing happened. I need some help ASAP

its probably just oil burning off the exhaust.
    00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

when you took off your filter you most likely spilled oil on your fron pipe,its almost impossible not too.it will burn off in a short amount of time,what i dois wrap a old rag around the pipe and keep the filter tilted up as much as possible to prevent tom uch oil from spilling,your old filter has a lot of oil in it when you remove it from the filter housing,just be careful next time and you should have it all burnt off within a few miles.i hope you didnt over tighten the new filter and make it have a leak,if so your fucked.good luck.

Comment

Yea in doing oil change you will spill some oil on header and if you don't clean it up, it will burn off for a bit, then the smell goes away.

Assuming you did the oil change and this problem persists, then it may be your oil pressure sender right above your oil filter. This part leaking, will look like the leak is coming from your oil filter, but it's actually right above it. You may have to remove the oil filter (drain oil & redo oil change) to get to this part. It only costs $7.50 from Advanced Auto Parts. Torque spec is 13 lb-ft or 156 in-lb. Buy the liquid Teflon thread sealant and squeeze alot on the tip of pipe thread and hand tighten. It will feel like it bottoms out in a few turns, then proceed with a torque wrench to 13 lb-ft or 156 in-lb. It is a tapered pipe thread, this is why you still proceed to tighten it down after it feels like it bottoms out by hand tightening. It may not sit flush against the engine block, don't worry about that...just torque it to spec...it's how it's supposed to be.

BTW....a leaking oil pressure sender will leak onto your header and burn, smelling like absolute crap. Especially after revving up the engine and coming to an idle or stop....you will get smoke coming out from under ur hood and into the cabin reaking.
        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

i change my oil every 3,000 miles, and i have never been able to keep from spilling oil on the exhaust. i have tried everything, but as long as you wipe it up it should take less than a day to burn off.

Comment

Working...
          X