WHOA....just in time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHOA....just in time!

As most of you probably already know, the F and H motors have a problem with the front countershaft seal "walking out" which intern leads to rapid oil loss. In fact Honda issued a recall to install a seal retainer over the seal to keep it in place. For some reason it only applied to 94+ Accords and Preludes which is weird because the 90-93 block is virtually the same. Anyway, after seeing what happened to ACCORDianate's car (the seal completely blew out and he lost all the oil) I figured I should probably trow a seal retainer on my car. Well, work was pretty slow yesterday so I brought my car in and took it apart. Whoa! I caught that thing just in time! It wasn't leaking at all, but it was sticking about halfway out of the block. So I pushed it back in, threw on some Hondabond, and installed the retainer. Damn, that was a close one. I'm glad I did it when I did. Can you imagine if I was driving to Arizona out in the desert in the middle of the night and that seal blew out? I would have been F-U-C-T
    00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Good thing you decided to take a look when u did or you'd have nothing but the moon, stars, and a pack of hungry coyotes to keep you company.
    Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
    2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
    2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
    2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

can somebody tell me where the countershaft seal is located, I would like to check mine out but I don't know where exactly it is located.
      Originally posted by rickyduckworth
      i'll do *** things for the OEM trunk lip spoiler

Comment

Are you referring to the front balancing shaft?

Comment

You first have to take off the splash shield, the accessory belts, the crank pulley, and lower timing cover just to see it. I have pics that as soon as i can find a program to change format of the pics, mrhonda and I will post them, hopefully making it a sticky, as there's so many similar threads.
          Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
          2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
          2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
          2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Originally posted by Slateboy
            Are you referring to the front balancing shaft?
            yep, that one...

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

mrhonda,i have that little drip at the bottom of my timing belt cover,that means a sels is crappy,anyway is there anyway to take off just the top of the t beltcover to take a look at the t belt to see if theres oil on it? itsprobably easy but does just the top come off or the whole thing?ijustwant to take alook at the belt.thanks.anything i should look for besides oil saturation?

Comment

Yeah, just pull off the valve cover, then there are two bolts securing the upper timing cover. If you see that oil drip from the bottom of the lower timing cover then all the seals are most certainly bad. If this is the case, then all the seals and belts need to be replaced ASAP.

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

thanks,i heard people drive around with this "drip" for a long timw with no problems,excepts filling oil every so often.lol way back awhile ago i overtightend my oil pan bolts and crushed the gasket causing a leak all around,lol i thought they were loose but i guess i was wrong.

Comment

Yeah, just pull off the valve cover, then there are two bolts securing the upper timing cover. However, if you see that oil drip from the bottom of the lower timing cover then all the seals ARE most certainly bad and the t-belt IS saturated with oil.....and that is NOT a good thing. If this is the case, then all the seals and belts need to be replaced ASAP.

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

yeah, that may be, but do you really want to take that chance? The timing belt is such and important part of an engine, and that oil saturation is seriously compromising the intergrity of that belt. I've seen ALOT of t-belts break as a result of oil saturation, even reletively new belts, and I know I sure as hell am not going to take that chance.

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

so what if its not saturated,i will be doing the h22 swap midsummer so i kinda dont wanna dump $700 for a t belt package.that would kinda suck ya know.maybe i shouldnt even check because than i dont have to wrry about it,the leak isnt to bad but it is a leak noe the less.it leaks about the size of a quarter every weak.seems slow to me.i also got a couple leaks in each spark plug tube.so somethings up.240 k+ so its probably on its way outlol seems to have great power though,runs very well.i have been burning oil to,but no blue smok just black.i gotta check my oil every couple days to keep it full,thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhonda
                          yeah, that may be, but do you really want to take that chance? The timing belt is such and important part of an engine, and that oil saturation is seriously compromising the intergrity of that belt. I've seen ALOT of t-belts break as a result of oil saturation, even reletively new belts, and I know I sure as hell am not going to take that chance.
                          damn it!! i thought a few drops of oil on the belt would make it turn faster & smoother = more power

shit!
                          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

man, i thought i was alone on this. my car doesn't really burn oil, is just kinda disappears.. every few weeks i have to add oil.

i have a question i should ask in here too. in my friends 90 lx, he occasionally has the oil light come on, and then go off. does it every once in awhile. not under any special circumstances either. do you think something would really be wrong if it wont stay on for more than a few seconds at a time, or maybe just a messed up light? thanks
                            92 lx
                            automatic
                            slow

but its clean!..kinda

Comment

any pics yet...

Comment

Working...
                              X