Does Rims affect MPG, Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Rims affect MPG, Speed

Well I heard about it and my cousin even say so cause he use to have donut and he get 400 to the tank and now with 17 inche rim he say he get like 250 now. Also does rims slow your car down too. Cause When I have donut and I when I go to gear 2 it pull harder and now I got 17" rim it doesn't do that anymore and Also I only got 50 mile on not even half of the tank and usually I get around 100. So I decide to put the front donut back on and It feel faster and I'm getting better mileage. What do you guys think.

i think for the look it gives its worth losing a little speed but i have white rims and my car still gets same mpg so i dont knw waht was up with that 400/250 and the car is still fast
    ]

Comment

yea i've heard that the bigger the rim the more power your car needs to use to make the move, which results in more gas consumption.

My Cb bad, Cb bright and the cops can kiss my Cb lights - I’m gone!
      Frost White Member 13
      My Ride
      "Girls are like a new car... lease w/ option to buy"

Comment

Size of the rim does not matter. It is the overall diameter of the rim and tire. If the total height of a 17" wheel with proper tire matches the height of the stock wheel/tire, then you have not changed the ratio at all.

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
          but a wheel that ways 10 lbs more, is 2" wider, and still retains the same tire diameter will use more gas......more weight toward the outer part of the wheel.....performance tires have all the rubber near the edge as well
          Ok, I was assuming they owned a light wheel...the whole [functional] purpose of having a larger diameter wheel and less rubber.

Comment

Working...
          X