Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLEASE HELP!!!!: - Honda Accord 91 SE - Shift Problem at Low Speeds

Hello,

I have a 1991 Honda Accord SE (Automatic).

My car died last week, and the mechanic diagnosed and had to install a new distributor. Additionally, he also installed new spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter.

Been having this weird problem since I got my car back.

At low speeds, esp when in 1st or 2nd gear or from complete stop, I really have to PUSHHHH the gas pedal to get the car to accelerate and move quicker, and once it shifts into the next gear and I take my foot of the gas pedal, it drops back to the previous gear ( from 2nd to 1st). I accelerate again and moves to next gear and take my foot off and downshifts again.

This doesn't seem to be any problem at higher speeds

I dont know what the problem is or if the mechanic messed up?

take it back and tell him that u have lost of power at first and second gears. tell him that the torque in going downhill.

its probably something wrong with the distributor.
    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

From AccordZTech

Response From AccordZTech to HondaFan2000:

well first thing i look at oddly is the throttle cable, check to see if it is hella looose.

do yo uknow how to check the spark plugs urself? if u can take one out and note the condition and possibly check the gap.

did the mechanic replace the distribitor only or the distribitor cap? the distribitor is the WHOLE assembly...the cap is just that black thing.

im asking cause if replaced teh whole distribiter then he may of not set your timming correct. try to reset ur ecu first and see what happends..

Comment

Hi accordztech,

Thanks for the response.

Yea, the guy changed the whole distributor (cause the car would not start, it had gone dead), as well as the cap, rotor, spark plugs(+ wires), fuel filter and air filter.

I already reset the ECU twice, but doesn't seem to make any difference.

Also, my car wont' shift from first to 2nd until it hits 4000 rpm ( is that normal), other shifts from 2--> 3rd --> 4th happen smoothly at lower rpm (like 3000 rpm or so approximately).

I will defilitely inspect the throttle cable, and spark plugs again today and email u if I find something wrong.

Cud u tell me where the throttle cable is located?

Thanks a million bro

hondafan200

Comment

How long was it sitting dead before it was fixed? If a while, check air/fuel filters, and exhaust flow. If the engine isn't breathing well, it's gonna go nowhere quick.
          1 3 5
          |-|-|
          2 4 R

[ [ - ] ] ( ( ) ) [ [ \ ] ] [ [ ) ) / / - \ \

Comment

Hi mojo,

The car was sitting for the weekend. Had t towed first thing monday morning, and had it the distributor, distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter all replaced same day.

I looked at the air & fuel filter, seemed alright.

Any ideas.

Thanks,

hondafan2000

Comment

From AccordZTech to Hondafan2000

From AccordzTech to hondafan2000:

no prob, check ur timing though i think thats the number one cause.

throttle cable is umm...on the air intake area, that pipe that goes into the engine, that little gold thing, thats the throttle cable.

Comment

mmmm it shifts at 4000rpm??? that makes me think that is something wrong with the tranny.
                make sure the throte cable is ok.
                are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Did you make sure your firing order is right? Get him to check that. If the plugs aren't firing in the right order you could have some serious power loss also.
                  H22
                  grill mod
                  that's about it

Comment

Working...
                  X