Crank bolt coming out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank bolt coming out

Has anyone had issues with the crank bolt coming out while driving. I just got my new motor in and iv had issues with it coming out. I caught it the first time and tightened it back down but later that day it fell out while going down the road and the pulley fell off got busted up and i ended up braking the keyway allowing the crank to spin freely. I tightened the bolt as much as i could both times.
    92 Accord EX 2dr -- G22 project
    -5 Speed Swap 10-10-05

you do know that it needs to be like 125ft-lbs for torque?

or it may be a vibration that can cause things to break loose.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

did you torque it to specs? i usually just hit it with an impact and never had any problems

i suggest you use some loc tite on it this time around
      Members Ride

Comment

I would say use loctite but then your gonna have a bitch of a time taking it out. Is it the right size bolt? Maybe first time didnt do it tough enough? I think they are rated like 350 ft lbs something like that.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

you are using the special tool to hold down the crank pulley right while you tighten the crank bolt right?? or are you just using a hand ratchet and tightening that shit down?? just curious so I can better assist you. let us know.
          The beginning of a new era............................
          165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
          184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

iv just been using a breaker bar to tighten it. the first time i might not have had it tight but it lasted a week of me driving from work and back. after i cought it working out the first time i had the car moving up and down i was lifting so hard and it didnt last the day.
            -5 Speed Swap 10-10-05

Comment

personally, id bring it to a shop and have them blast it with their impact gun.

thats what ive done to both my cars and they were fine.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Impact it. Doing it by hand is way too risky
                Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                  personally, id bring it to a shop and have them blast it with their impact gun.

thats what ive done to both my cars and they were fine.
                  Yep the only other way I say to do it unless your he man.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  I piss off people for fun.
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Something is wrong with the threads/keyway, etc or you are simply not tightening it enough. There has never been issues with crank pulley screws, you're doing something wrong or overlooking something.
                    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                      Something is wrong with the threads/keyway, etc or you are simply not tightening it enough. There has never been issues with crank pulley screws, you're doing something wrong or overlooking something.

x2 unless where the key goes the gear is jacked up and stripped (where the key is placed) another thing try using a pry bar stick it in the timing area (the black plastic on the transmission) this is unless you don't have access to air tools. use blue loctite. its rated at 150lbs or something forgot but the red loctite is rated at 250lbs lol. whatever you want use it. sometimes the special tool to remove the crank bolt really doesn't work well.

My came off in my civic my B16 crank pulley came off along with the bolt and snapped in 2. reason my key broke the gear housing (where the key lays) taht it connects to and spun and spun and spun until it broke into 2 pieces. and it was a pain the ass to remove since it was loctited in and even though using revesal drills and shit didn't work had to use a power tool from sears to remove it out.
                      either kill it or drift it...

2002 Toyota Tundra V8

Comment

Hello.......... are you using anything to hold the crank pulley still while you tighten up the crank bolt? you cannot tighten a crank pulley bolt with a hand ratchet/breaker bar and not having anythiing to hold the pulley still. like wed3k said, just take it to a shop.

Comment

Originally posted by jhondayaaj
                          Hello.......... are you using anything to hold the crank pulley still while you tighten up the crank bolt? you cannot tighten a crank pulley bolt with a hand ratchet/breaker bar and not having anythiing to hold the pulley still. like wed3k said, just take it to a shop.
                          i have it in gear so the motor dosnt turn over. but i got some blue locktight and used my impact on it but im keeping an eye on it. I used to work at a honda dealership so i know better then to take my car to any shop even if it is to just tighten a bolt.
                          -5 Speed Swap 10-10-05

Comment

The previous owner of my car said that the crank bolt broke off, but they boared it out
                            wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos_CB7
                              i have it in gear so the motor dosnt turn over. but i got some blue locktight and used my impact on it but im keeping an eye on it. I used to work at a honda dealership so i know better then to take my car to any shop even if it is to just tighten a bolt.

Comment

Working...
                              X