Oil in the distributor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil in the distributor?

What's the story with oil in the distributor. The car won't start. Can the seals just be replaced or does it need to be completely replaced?

I had the same problem but I replaced the o-ring thats on the distributors end that goes into the engine and it works fine now, had oil leaking in my cap but wasn't that bad but if yours is like flooded badly I would change it the whole thing. PEACE. The old o-ring was cad and rock solid so I change it.

Glenn
    Red Devil Crew - Member 7
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) 5spd swap...100% done. Will post pics soon.
    F22a1-Turbo still debating...?

Comment

where can one buy that o-ring?

Comment

try to locat auto parts store. then if u buy the a new distributor then ask there for the seal
        are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

It isn't so bad in amount of oil. I replaced the cover gasket and there was a little bit in the cap. Now that the oil has no place else to go the amount is more. Still, it took three weeks to stop it from running.

thanks again guys for all your help.

the chilton makes it sound like an easy job.

I'm going to need to set the timing. Has anyone seen the first two pages of the shop manual and the control box? Says on fuel injected moters there is a screw adjust for the timing...http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/AccordManual/400/16-81.pdf

Comment

If there is oil inside the distributor (getting the rotor wet) then you need the internal O-ring for the distributor (which is a real bitch to change). If there is oil leaking from around the distributor then it's the easy O-Ring and that's cake to change.
            My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

I'll let you guys know tomorrow. It didn't work after the change of the "o" ring. then I get home tonight and it starts right up. sounds now like the main relay is part of the equation. there was still oil in the cap after the change. I removed as much as I could. I will check it tomorrow to see the oil in the cap situation and then deal with the start up issue.

Comment

Well, it wouldn't start because of the main relay. the issue with the oil is solved it appears since, when it cooled down last night it started right up and so I drove it a bit. checked the oil in the cap today and there was still a little but not much. I will check it again in a week and see what's up.

Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

yes, bustedLX is correct, external leakage can be solved by replaced the o-ring on the dist shaft, but if there is oil INSIDE the distributor it is the internal seal which is bad. Bets thing to do is just buy a new distributor sub-assemblly. If this isn't fixed, this can and will cause the coil or ignitor to fail.
                  00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Does sub-assembly mean the linkage?

Comment

Working...
                    X