stripped nut on cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped nut on cat

so i was bolting up my header and found one of the nuts on my cat is completly unusable. is there some magical trick or somthing that i can use to remove this nut?

thanks

PB blaster and vice grips or an adjustable wrench?

Formerly 91AccordExR33
    11.68 @ 127mph
    417whp/375wtq
    Sold: 8/2016

Comment

I had the same damn thing happen to me. Went to unbolt the header and the damn socket just spun! Damn thing rounded the nut.

I went to Sears and bought a set of " Bolt-Out damaged nut/bolt remover " sockets.

That and 2 cans of WD-40.
      3 CB's gone....
      1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

you can get a set of these sockets:

from sears for like 30 bucks, hammer it onto the bad nut and as you apply pressure while slowly loosening, itll cut into the nut more and grab it even tighter! its gotten me out of jams many times, very easily!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

If all else fails, and that socket above should work, you can grind off the head of the bolt and drill it out, then you will need to re tap the threads... but I have had to do this on the heads of a VW bug before, not that big of a deal

Comment

the studs on the cat are actually press fit in... there arent any threads... you could pop em out with a hammer (read- beat the piss outta em) and put regular stainless steel nuts and bolts in... thats what I did...
            Seattle Silver crew #5
            Member of the Midwest Car Club.
            ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

USe a torch heat it up and make it blow up lol. Not a wise idea haha.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by accord91lx
                the studs on the cat are actually press fit in... there arent any threads... you could pop em out with a hammer (read- beat the piss outta em) and put regular stainless steel nuts and bolts in... thats what I did...
                some one with common sense hard to come by these days good job i 3rd this suggestion i have had bolts and nuts the entire time

the build and demise
                buy stuff i want a new car

Comment

How do you propose he hammer them out with the NUTS still on the stud?

Anyways, what I did, was file the nut down to 1/2", and then used a 1/2" socket to take it off.
                  Originally posted by sweet91accord
                  if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

If you have access to a air compressor, a cut off tool or air hammer with a steel chisel bit will fix this problem in about 2 mics. If you use a oxyace. torch make sure you have no fuel/vapor leaks and cut downwards toward the ground. Since all that is unlikely maine, I'd go with the sockets cp suggested.
                    Last edited by Fake Thug; 07-22-2007, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X