Bolt Broke Off while Changing Tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolt Broke Off while Changing Tire

Alright, my cousin and I had this genius idea to change the front tires to the back and the back to the front...save a little money on tire rotations...Well one of the bolts...broke off. Its fine to drive but I need to get it fixed before I make my trip back to Nashville (I'm in Louisville right now). Went to one tire place and they wanted $40 for a slide on rotor and $120 for a pressed on rotor replacement. Now of course its going to cost the most for me.

Would this be hard to change myself with tools from Auto-zone and get a bolt there.

Any other ideas or suggestions you guys have would help a lot. Thx.

If the lugbolt snapped off, then it won't be easy. You have to disassemble the front knuckle assembly, and remove it from car. Hydro-press the rotor off the bearing, and press the bearing off the hub. The hub is one piece, and the lugs bolts are all apart of that.

Comment

Ah crap...well am I better off paying the $120 to get the tire shop to do it then? Or should I try to find somewhere else that will do it for less.

Comment

I was searching the site, looking for some other answers and I saw one person say the fronts weren't pressed on rotors. Is this true, I always thought they were.

I saw this DIY anad thought I should just follow these steps, or am I wrong?

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ght=rotor+bolt

Comment

The rotor themselved to not always need to be pressed on the bearing. However, depending on the amount of corrosion, most of the time, they will NEED to be pressed off, and sometimes be pressed back onto the bearing. However, the main bearing itself is definitely pressed onto the hub assembly, and will NEED to be pressed off to replace the hub.

Comment

slateboy is right you have to have a machineshop do that for you its seperate. I had to do this when i had some drilled slotted rotors to be put on I didnt put em on i sent em back I though it would have been an easy swap but the shop told me that they were pressed on and i have to take em somewhere to get em done.

Comment

Great...
              Ok thanks for the help.

BTW How much would you expect to spend on something like this...I guess I'll just have a shop do everything if I'm paying ot have one done. I still think $120 is steep, especially when I spent $500 for the car...but oh well.

Tim

Comment

probably 120 a piece or maybe less but usually shops wanna rip cause times are tough now.

Comment

slateboy & h22sparkle are right.

As I see it, you have two options...

1) Pay to have it done

2) You and your cousin do it yourself and replace the wheel stud. If corrosion is present, then hydro-press or arbor-press will most likely be needed to press off the hub-rotor assembly out of the knuckle (after removing 4 screws from inside the knuckle). You can also just pay to have them pressed off by a machine shop if you don't have access to this equipment, but removing the knuckle is a must for that. After you have the rotor-hub assembly by itself, remove the 4 screws to get the hub off the rotor, then press/draw-in the wheel stud into your hub assembly and reinstall parts. To install the hub-rotor assembly into the knuckle, you simply just need to evenly torque down the 4 screws from the inside of the knuckle to bring in the wheel bearing evenly into the knuckle bore, the torque spec is 33 lb-ft.

IMPORTANT: Anti-seize ALL your wheel studs when you tackle this or even do it after the guy does it for ya. Also, always start the lugnuts by hand first, then use a impact gun on low setting or do it with wratchet.
                  Last edited by HondaFan81; 05-05-2005, 10:58 AM.
                  HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Alright, I think I'll just take it in. I'm going to call around see what the lowest price I can get. The good news is front tires are only $36 for my car so I figured I'll get some while I'm there instead of rotating the ones I have.

I was loosening them by hand and one got stuck so me and my genius cousin were like hell we'll just try really hard then snap and "oh shit".

Comment

Ended up going to sears getting the stud fixed for $35 and 2 new tires for $28 a piece. Thought that was pretty good in the end.

Comment

i need to get 3 studs replaced is that pretty chead to do?
                        R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
                        My members ride page
                        Official Ebay Whore Crew #1

Comment

The cheapest I found was $35 a piece at Sears unless you do it yourself. If thats cheap to you then okay...

Comment

Went to sears and they charged me 80 a wheel cause the rotors are pressed on
                            R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
                            My members ride page
                            Official Ebay Whore Crew #1

Comment

Wow...I'm sry, the guy told me $35, and I didn't mention what type my rotors were. Was yours front or back? mine was front.

Comment

Working...
                              X