Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cars steering wheel shakes bad when over 60 mph, help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cars steering wheel shakes bad when over 60 mph, help?

like title says, it shakes at curtain speed but it doesnt do it when I hit the brakes so I dont think its the rotors. also, I removed my powersteering when I did my swap, but that was couple years ago and I dont think thats the problem, when I drive on the freeway, sometimes it feels like the car is pulling me to side to side like my steering has play. anyone have this problem? also, I just took of my driver side front and used the rear and I replaced the rear one with regular steelie wheel since I have bad camber problem but my car is only lowere by 2" at the most. if it is my rotors, how can I tell if bad or do you think its drive shafts?
    Last edited by aznpnoyracer; 07-30-2007, 02:06 AM.

so ur using old tires?

sounds like u have bad tires or the tires need to be balanced. if it was ur brakes it would do it when applied.

tire issue. that is all.
    F22a1-->F22A-->H22A-->auto-2-5spd-->K20 6spd-->F22C 6spd RWD-->4G63 6spd AWD-->K24 6spd????

Sold to: blackice, Myothercar, Rennat, Ilikebigbutts, HA91, DA92CB7, accord91lx, Cb7GHOST, Gemini, whiteaccord92,Warudakumi, jhondayaaj
    Bought from: 93twodoorLX, Datmofo, g7kobayashi, accord_inspire, Accord SiR, Kurobei, UK-Accord, phreakish93, RENR, k-mart

Comment

Originally posted by SMseagren83
      tire issue. that is all.
      x2, definetely sounds like your tires

SOLD!!
      Boosted H22
      375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

sounds to me like either tires, inner tie rods, or rack & pinion problems... put the car up on jacks and shake the wheels in/out from left/right corners to see if there's any play(there shouldn't be at all) and while up you check over the tires for obvious lumps or imperfections

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
        My Ride thread
        Flickr
        Originally posted by d112crzy
        And it can only get better. That's the best part.
        All I gotta really say is:
        People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

a tire could be separated, that means the rubber is coming off of the steel belts its wrapped around in which case would cause a lump or bulge as someone said before. This is pretty dangerous if you see one of these, since the tread is about to rip apart from the tire itself. just run your hand around the circumference of the tire or look for anything that looks suspicious when you spin the tire.

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Sounds like the problem mine has. Mechanic narrowed it down to the rack (everything outside it was checked several times, including the tires/wheels and steering column). But he didn't examine the rear with the same detail.

Here's my observations, does any of it sound familiar aznpnoyracer :
            An increase in tire pressure helps a little bit.
            Its not an oscillation. It varies with the road surface and wheel position.
            If I try to correct for it, the car with jump to pulling in the opposite direction. So I look like a drunk driver if I'm not very delicate with it.

The toe of the rear right tire has been out a couple times I had an alignment done, so I'm wondering if if its moving a bit, which would cause some steering and explain way the front end checks out OK.
            Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

thanks for the reply fellas, Ill try all yall sugestions, very helpfull peeps. thanks!

Comment

This is my order of suggestions. tires, balance, alignement, and axles. i does this to me. at 60-65 it shakes, i speed p it goes away and then at like 70-75 it comes back i speed up and goes away. I heard its axle. I will be changing mine, but not soon enough, to tell you if it fixed my problem.
                Rack n Pinion sound possible, i mean it does control the movement of your tires so its associated.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

that happened to my dads civic...we just go a tire rotation and the shake went away

"You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive."

Comment

Originally posted by Otto
                    Sounds like the problem mine has. Mechanic narrowed it down to the rack (everything outside it was checked several times, including the tires/wheels and steering column). But he didn't examine the rear with the same detail.

Here's my observations, does any of it sound familiar aznpnoyracer :
                    An increase in tire pressure helps a little bit.
                    Its not an oscillation. It varies with the road surface and wheel position.
                    If I try to correct for it, the car with jump to pulling in the opposite direction. So I look like a drunk driver if I'm not very delicate with it.

The toe of the rear right tire has been out a couple times I had an alignment done, so I'm wondering if if its moving a bit, which would cause some steering and explain way the front end checks out OK.
                    i got that shake too, great observations. im thinkin mine is either axle, or rack related. or hubcenric rings

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Well its seems that a part my mechanic installed may be bad...so he's going to check them Monday unless I get to it over the weekend. I still need to go over the rear end though. Hoping its nice tomorrow to do it.
                      Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Working...
                      X