Is The Heat Shield Necessary???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is The Heat Shield Necessary???

I have a factory 93 EX CB7 with the F22A6. Yesterday I was cleaning the engiune area and decided to remove the heat shield. It looks alot better...except for the bright rust color . Does the engine bay require the heat shiled or is it just extra? Thanks!
    + '93 Accord EX - CB7 - Frost White w/ Dark Blue = teh s0ld (ilikebigbutts)

2006 Cobalt SS - 2004 Monte Carlo SS - 1990 CRX Si

. Snail Squad .

no, it's not necessary... although I have seen some people get it dipped in chrome or get it painted to accent the engine bay. Looks nice.

Comment

Supposedly if it does it's purpose it'll catch most of the header heat to keep your engine bay temps down. If I were doing the job myself, I'd suggest taking off your header and cleaning it off...maybe with sandblaster...just enough to get rust off. Then, clean it off & apply a ceramic-coating paint that's heat resistant...maybe even specific for exhaust systems....I'm sure places like AutoZone would have that. It'd make it look even better since you're going for looks anyways....may as well keep it functional too. Ceramic-coating keeps the heat within the header.
      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

oh yea, header wrap is an option too...but it won't look as good

Comment

It's not that is't rusty...just a rust color. I'm getting a performance header shortly anyway. Thanks y'all!

. Snail Squad .

Comment

ah, you mean you don't dig that color?!?!

What header u gettin? DC sports?

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
              oh yea, header wrap is an option too...
              I wouldn't. It sometimes causes ceramic headers to crack. I have a DC header with no wrap. No problems. My friend added heat wrap to his ceramic DC on his gsr. After a year, one of his pipes cracked/split open. 300 bucks down the drain.

Comment

damn all that insulated heat and under pressure poof. Its like flyin paper with wings flyin out the wallet what a waste.

Comment

I meant header wrap on a stock (non ceramic coated) header or SS aftermarket header....the ceramic coating was an alternative in itself w/no wrap.

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                    I meant header wrap on a stock (non ceramic coated) header or SS aftermarket header....the ceramic coating was an alternative in itself w/no wrap.
                    I've seen it done to the stock EX mainfold but the wrap itself doesn't go on nicely due to the heat shield screw mounts on the manifold. It comes out all bumpy looking.

Comment

rofl that analogy made no sense.

Comment

It was comical! lol Anyway, I recently removed it and painted it flat black...looks really nice.

. Snail Squad .

Comment

The reason you have a heat shield is because the CB7 has no hood liner. So with the heat shield removed the heat under the hood gets so hot the paint on the hood will begine to turn white as it burns. Esspecially when it's raining. You can actually see the steam coming off the hood.

I'm running a Ceramic header. Even though it is ceramicly coated my under hood temps are still quite high. I plan to fashion a hood liner to preserve my hoods piant after my car gets painted.

Header wrap is the worst thing you can do to your header. The header gets so hot and the heat can not disapate so the header can actually reach it's melting point. Even then after metal is heated it becomes more maluable so it is easier to bend and tends to split.
                          My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

My car is already white! lol How much is a lining?

. Snail Squad .

Comment

I don't know yet. Haven't priced it out. There is a company called Dynamat. Most people are familiar with the sound deadning material they make for trunks. Well they make an under hood lining that looks real good. I was planing on using that.
                              My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

Working...
                              X