WTF Main relay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF Main relay?

OK, Long story short, I had to change out my main realy last week. I got the thing torn apart (Cruise box out) in the parking lot at work. I drove the car home with the main relay and cruise box hanging by my feet.

My problem is that I can not for the life of me get that old main relay out to bolt the new one in. The damn thing is held on by 2 bolts, one of which also holds some bracket, that looks like it's for the clutch pedal. that bracket won't come loose, and it's trapping the dead main relay in.

Can anybody who's familiar with this project give me any advice? BTW the car is a '90 LX with a 5-speed tranny.

Thanks!!
    1 3 5
    |-|-|
    2 4 R

[ [ - ] ] ( ( ) ) [ [ \ ] ] [ [ ) ) / / - \ \

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doity...l/bl_hmr_1.htm

Have you followed this?
    No more cb7, 7 years of ownership and 196K on the ticker before she was sold

Current beast: 98 ej8 on 7psi with a 15g turbo and other goodies!

NREMT-B | 300D and some glass

Comment

Re: WTF Main relay?

Originally posted by mojo
      My problem is that I can not for the life of me get that old main relay out to bolt the new one in. The damn thing is held on by 2 bolts, one of which also holds some bracket, that looks like it's for the clutch pedal. that bracket won't come loose, and it's trapping the dead main relay in.
      I simply used a 10mm socket with an extension and universal joint. When you lay on your back looking up and with your socket, they should come right out. That "plastic piece" does not come out. Simply loosen the other side of the "plastic piece" (don't remove nut), and you should be able to remove the relay. When I put mine back, I simple left it bolted, but loose. My main relay is bad in my 91, but I only inspected it. I did replace the one in my 92. This is an easy job. Awkward position, but easy job. If this is giving you too much trouble, why not just put the new relay out of harms way. It does not have to be bolted back from which it came! Just keep away from any heat source.
      TBILL
      92 Accord EX Coupe
      CB7, 5 spd, Seattle Silver

91 Accord LX - no mods
      CB9, Auto, Cobolt Blue Cooking with Clinton

Comment

Yea...easy job. awkward position. It failed on a hot day, so i was under the dash in the parking lot at work and it was like 95 degrees out. what a pain. Thanks for the DIY!!!! Helpful...
        1 3 5
        |-|-|
        2 4 R

Comment

I diagnosed my girlfriend's car (91 Accord EX Coupe) with a main relay intermittent failure (it only fails when the interior of the car is very warm and the car won't start. Once you cool off the interior, the car will start.) Anyways, we replaced what we are somewhat sure is the main relay which is located above the cruise control brain and below the little change holder. I will be finding out if the problem persists this afternoon when it gets above 90 degrees.

To check to see if this was really the correct relay, we unplugged it and tried to start the car. And to my surprise...it started! Question is...can the car start without the main relay?

Brian

Comment

No.
            1 3 5
            |-|-|
            2 4 R

Comment

Re: Re: WTF Main relay?

Originally posted by TBILL
              Awkward position, but easy job. If this is giving you too much trouble, why not just put the new relay out of harms way. It does not have to be bolted back from which it came! Just keep away from any heat source.
              i feel you on that.. it gave me a good head ache..

i just resoldered mine with a lead that 's rated at 460deg(i think) everything works fine now..

Comment

Working...
              X