Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Code 43: changed o2 sensor, light still on, Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starchland View Post
    im doubting its a vacuum line causing that o2 sensor code...however anything is possible. let us know...
    i dunno, was thinking the similar thing, after i finish exams i'm gonna test the fuel pump and see if that's at the right voltage like a previous person said... haven't got time at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by starchland View Post
      im doubting its a vacuum line causing that o2 sensor code...however anything is possible. let us know...
      The oxygen sensor flashes a different code if there is a direct problem with it so you can't always believe that's the problem. It wouldn't hurt to get a new one anyways. I think it's codes 1 or 41 possibly for the oxygen sersor. Code 43 is to general. There are a number of things that the ECU uses to control the operation of the fuel system; not just by the oxygen sensor alone. I noticed my car was running rich after checking the condition of my oxygen sensor and by how the car ran at times. When a car is getting more gas than it needs you can feel it just like if it wasn't getting any. You have to think outside the box for this problem because it could be number of things. I know I'm getting fuel but it's the ECU which determines how much gas to dump in by the readings from some of the sensors. The reason why your check light is off when you turn the car off and back on is because at start up the car is running in open loop mode from the ECU untill the car warms up. Once the car warms up it goes into closed loop mode and the ECU runs off the readings it gets from the sensors. I changed the oxygen sensor twice before and the problem still occured so I didn't think that was it. It's hard to believe that three oxygen sensors would be defective for the same problem so I decided to check other areas of the car. Since my car bogged in closed loop mode only, I thought it to be one of my sensors either being defective or not getting the correct readings causing more gas to be dumped in than it really needed. Then I saw the pinched vacuum line which supplies vacuum to my MAP sensor. I'm not saying your problem is a vacuum line but you need to check everything that controls how much fuel your engine is getting. In the Haynes manual chapter 6 (Emissions and engine control systems) it explains what sensors help determine how much fuel is supplied and how they work. Don't waste your money just yet. If your car starts that means it's getting gas so the pump may not be it. Since my car is OBD1 I can't hook it up to a computer. I had to check everything by hand. So far, so good. I'll report back later.
      Last edited by Accordolictx; 06-10-2008, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Accordolictx View Post
        I noticed something last night. I have this blue vacuum line I bought from autozone feeding to some of the other factory ones and it couldn't handle the heat. You can see it slightly in my picture running on the back of the intake manifold. It would pinch in after the hose warmed up from the engine preventing the vacuum from coming through. I think the control box wasn't getting the correct readings because of that. I believe this light has to deal with emissions and how the car burns the fuel. I hope that's why it ran rich but I will see. I'm changing the spark plugs out tonight. I just hope that's it because it's inspection time. I have to wait till it gets a little later to take her out lol. H22's are so much fun.

Comment

i was thinking 43 was o2 sensor my bad...

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
          "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
          "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by Accordolictx View Post
            No more check engine lights for me. I just took her for another run, without reseting the ECU, and still no check engine light for code 43. I guess we took care of that. I'm so happy now.
            good to see your problem is solved

i've had a mate who's got a cb7 and is an apprentice mechanic have a look over it, but we couldn't find much, i'll have a look at those vacuum lines anyway since it's not gonna be hard,

where is the O2 sensor located? is it hard to get to?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Trini View Post
              good to see your problem is solved

where is the O2 sensor located? is it hard to get to?

thanks
              it depends on what model you have. some are on exhaust manifold and some are on the downpipe right before the cat

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by slammed4thgen View Post
                it depends on what model you have. some are on exhaust manifold and some are on the downpipe right before the cat
                ahk well i've got a 92, i think i've got the basic one cos i dont have a sunroof or lip, can you tell where the o2 sensor will be? or do you need more info

Comment

well it will be in one of those locations.

probably in the exhaust manifold

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

ive got the same problem with my car
                    -rough idle
                    -CEL light come on usually after 20 min drives

ive replaced the 02 and it still comes on

not sure what the code is, gota find the post on how to check for the code

im thinking of getting another pt6 ecu because i think mine was tampered with
                    Hold On Not Done Accelerating
                    Had One Never Did Again

Comment

Originally posted by jas_r34 View Post
                      ive got the same problem with my car
                      -rough idle
                      -CEL light come on usually after 20 min drives

ive replaced the 02 and it still comes on

not sure what the code is, gota find the post on how to check for the code

im thinking of getting another pt6 ecu because i think mine was tampered with
                      I recently put a pt6 ecu to run my new intake manifold that has the IAB plate, and ever since been running into this code 43 and 1. Swapped 4 different o2 sensors including a new ngk one, didnt do anything. Swapped out the pt6 ecu and put in my regular DX ECU, problem SOLVED. I guess the ecu was faulty in some way as it was even opening the valves in the IAB.

I recommend people trying this as a last resort as just changing the o2 sensor is a common fix.

Comment

bringing this back from the dead....

hey trini did you find out what is wrong? i have the same problem with the same symptoms..... the code comes out while driving in the highway for 10 mn or more and the idle falls to 300 rpm or lower when i am stopped....
                        are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

did u try unplugging the o2 to see if the idle still drops?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                          "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                          "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord View Post
                            bringing this back from the dead....

hey trini did you find out what is wrong? i have the same problem with the same symptoms..... the code comes out while driving in the highway for 10 mn or more and the idle falls to 300 rpm or lower when i am stopped....
                            hi

nah still haven't figured it out . mine idle doesn't fluctuate anymore when i stop at lights and stuff, hasn't done it since i cleaned out all that stuff on the DIY, but in the mornings when it's cold out and i reverse and then attempt to go forward the idle drops and sometimes stalls, but after a few mins of driving it's fine.

i don't know how to get to the 02 senser to unplug it

Comment

Originally posted by Trini View Post
                              hi

nah still haven't figured it out . mine idle doesn't fluctuate anymore when i stop at lights and stuff, hasn't done it since i cleaned out all that stuff on the DIY, but in the mornings when it's cold out and i reverse and then attempt to go forward the idle drops and sometimes stalls, but after a few mins of driving it's fine.

i don't know how to get to the 02 senser to unplug it
                              which diy are you talking about ???

as of the O2 sensor it depends on what car you have..... lx dx models have it in front of the car, where the header conects to the down pipe...

if you have an ex/se then is under the car before the catalic converter... you can't miss it. it has 4 wires coming out of it...
                              are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord View Post
                                which diy are you talking about ???

as of the O2 sensor it depends on what car you have..... lx dx models have it in front of the car, where the header conects to the down pipe...

if you have an ex/se then is under the car before the catalic converter... you can't miss it. it has 4 wires coming out of it...

ummmm, i can't remember what the parts are called, but it's the one about cleaning out the parts around the throttle body and stuff,

i'll have to have a look when i get the chance
                                thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X