Exhaust question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust question...

I know these questions dont really have answers but id like to know what some of you guys would think....

Right now I have a dc sports header with my stock exhaust but the rear section is cut off right after the back wheels so there is no muffler...I love the sound, its not really loud and sounds great in my oppinion...

I want to get a bigger pipe though and I know a shop that would do my car for about $80 dollars.Although I will be taking off the cat, I know this will make it a lot louder, so I thought maybe if I just put a resonator were the cat originaly was and have it go all the way to the back and put just a polished tip on the end, not a muffler but those 12 dollar tips at auto zone.

Doing it like that sohould sound similiar to how it does now right maybe just a little louder?Thanks for any and all responses

Derek Brown

Why do people want take off the cat?
    wat?

Comment

they think it builds power i think i guess they figure better flow. well loss of back pressure kills it and unless they have a boosted setup then why bother. even if you are boosted a high flow cat is recommended
      My other ride is your ex-wife

Comment

Well back pressure is still a myth, and cat's are realy expensive and I dont need one....

So can someone just answer my question..

Comment

$60 is really expecive to you?? and thats Stainless Steal price.. who cares you dont need one.. The planet cares and you should too.

Comment

yea bro, put a cat on, or else you wont have alot of power. i had a test pipe, dc sports header and downpipe and magnaflow muffler, was loud as fuck. you could hear me comming from a mile away. now with my new setup is going to sound sweet! magnaflow high flow cat, magnaflow resonator, magnaflow dual tip muffler. dont go cheap bro, cus with a loud exhaust you could get a fine, especially when they find out your running catless, you'll get in trouble. because its a street car, not race car.
            miss my turbo cb7
            moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

If your dead set on taking the cat off. Atleast put on a high flow cat. They're like $15 on eBay.

1999 BMW M3
              2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
              2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
              2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

hes not asking if he should take the cat off or not, hes asking for how it'll sound if he does and puts a resonator in place of it.

my old toyota truck i had cut off all the exhaust and put in a glass pack resonator (cherry bomb) it was loud, but sounded good... i think you shouldn't have too big of a problem, but to try and reduce noise a little bit make sure you make it exit out of the rear of the vehicle, if that bothers you.

Comment

I wont get in trouble for not having a cat nore will I get fined for it being to loud...I live in New Mexico were you dont need a CAT...I love the sound of my current setup...I wnt mre power but I dont want to loose the sound I have now...

Comment

yuo dont get it.. who cares if you dont need one.. they make you loose no power at all .. save the planet..

your sound will be the same so put it on.

the thing that will affect your sound the most is your resinator.. put a short oone on for a raspy sounds long for a drone sound.

Comment

My current setup right now which is stock cat and piping but cut before the rear muffler...and its not raspy...I have a video in the section were they are posted...

Wouldnt putting a high flow cat and using bigger pipes but still having no muffler make it more raspy?

Comment

lemme bend over, squeze my cheeks together and demonstrate aproximatly what your exhaust would sound like with just a straight threw pipe and resonator

i say go with a 4in. exhaust, since there is no such thing as back pressure you should be great. hell get some high compression pistons while your at it.... detonations just a myth anyways

Comment

^^^Wow that was just stupid and completely pointless....do you have proof back pressure is real, I haven't seen any...

Comment

get a decent size resonator...12", 14", 20"...

and then another straight through muffler at the back of the exhaust, it will sound okay.

I would suggest using a thicker schedule piping...it will reduce any resonant noise inside the car.
                            DEVOTE

Comment

i want you to take a sippy straw and a usued toilet paper roll with just the cardboard....

ok now blow through both of them as hard as you can! which of the 2 where you able to get all the air threw?
                              NOW! obviously you still want to know how the insanely big exhaust would suffer from "LACK" of backpressure.... other than ruining the point of the CAT which i can see you could care less about you still run the risk of running intake gases into the exhaust taking into consideration Valve overlap which is the period of time after letting out exhaust and and before starting TDC for combustion.(if all exhaust has cleared out you will leave room for intake to come in prematurely) if intake air gets threw to the exhaust during this time then your running the risk of running lean in the amount of air you have for combustion...... all based on a stock setup with soley exhaust alterations.

i should have left my opinion of your exhaust setup alone in the first place, i promise not to do it again....and im sure your not going to agree with my opinion on backpressure as well. Basic automotive performance (ASE training book) im sure others state it blaintently as well

Comment

Working...
                              X