FULL tuneup and oil change: Suggestions and price check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FULL tuneup and oil change: Suggestions and price check

Ok, I'm planning to do a full tuneup, oil change, and any other regular/preventative maintenance I can think of. I don't have a ton to spend, but I want to do it right. Here's the plan...

item - brand - price

Oil - ? - $? (how much do I need for a JDM H22? I haven't done it myself on this engine yet! )
    Oil filter- ? - $3?
    Fuel filter - ? - $10?
    Spark plugs - NGK - $?
    Wires - NGK - $?
    Cap - ? - $?
    Rotor - ? - $?
    O2 sensor - Bosch - $30 (eBay smart shopping )
    Battery - ? - $? (cheap... Yellow Top is my goal in the near future...)

I'm also considering changing my tranny oil. Perhaps adding some synchromesh to it.

Any suggestions on brands, price, or other things to change would be greatly appreciated!

And to answer the obvious question... I always took my car to Texaco to have they change my oil and check everything else in 10 minutes for $27. The savings in time was worth it to me, and still is. I'm just in the mood to do it myself now!

BAH! H22 MAN DOESNT EVEN DO HIS OWN OIL!

haha well i never used to either, first time i changed oil was after i finished getting the h22 dropped in, and still havent had to change it yet... so yeah ive only done a single oil change in my whole life.

i always brought my car to Jiffy Lube cuz they had overfilled our old toyota once and fucked it up, so they paid to fix the car and also gave us a stack of "free oil change" coupons, my dad let me use those

wow sorry this didnt even contribute to the thread at all... what a worthless post...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

WHORE!!!

I HAVE changed my own oil before, just not on this car. I figure, 10 minutes at Texaco, or an hour or more to buy the stuff, jack up the car, do the change, clean up, dispose of the oil... I wanna do EVERYTHING now, so I might as well save 10 bux and do the oil myself as well!

Comment

Re: FULL tuneup and oil change: Suggestions and price check

Prices are assumptions, should be close though.

Oil- Mobil 1..or any true synthetic. Will cost a bit more, but better oil. I think its about double or more what a regular quart is.

oil filter- Go to honda, get a filter for an s2000... they are still made in japan, and are better than any other ones. All other honda filters are rebadged Fram's - ~6 bucks

Fuel filter- autozone- 15

Cap and Rotor I would get from honda if not too much more expensive, the regular autozone ones keep breakin on me

Battery... just save up for a yellow/red top.

Comment

I heard that once you use synthetic oil, you can't go back to regular. Is that true?

As for the battery, that's why I want a cheapie. My battery is so weak and crappy that it's leaking acid on my car (very bad thing...) and I can't even get my new (and soon to be sold) HIDs to ignite... The power output is somewhere around that of a AAA battery by now, I'm sure! I need something to hold me over, but I have about $150 total that I can afford to drop into the car for EVERYTHING needed. A Yellow Top is about $165 :-(

Comment

why would you ever want to STOP using synthetic? ur motor is young, start now. i personally used mobil1 synthetic.

borrow the hatchies battery until u can afford ur optima

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

yeah, switching from synthetic to regular or visa versa once or twice wont hurt... but doing it a lot will.

I would just get a stupid autozone cheapie battery for now then if you just need one to hold you over. Battery acid leaking isnt a good thing.

Comment

Question.
                Mobil 1, Synthetic, 10W30-is that good for our car? I purchased it already, then read 5W30 on the Motor Oil cap and in the manual, but people are saying that since Oil runs thinner in the summer the 10W30 would be beneficial.

What do you think?

BTW, the NGKs are 1.25$ each, and the Sumitomo OE wires are about 60$.
                '93 Bordeaux Red Pearl LX 5MT

Prev CBs:
                -'93 BRP LX 4AT
                -'92 AGP LX 5MT
                -'93 AGP EX 4AT
                10yrs after my first cb, I'm still driving one!

Comment

Ok, I'm back from my insane shopping spree

In my hands now is:

4 quarts of Mobil 1 10w30 (the guy at the counter said 10w30 is fine, I wasn't sure either. I used to know about oil, but I can't remember a damn thing now!) - $17 (dude hooked me up with a preferred customer discount I never shopped there before. saved me $2)

Bosch Platinum 4 plugs (expensive, but hell... I'm treating my engine!) - $24

Autocraft Titanium battery... 700 amp cold cranking power... Advance Auto didn't have an Optima for my car, so that was the next best thing. - $70 (-$10 for my old battery, when I bring it back)

K&N oil filter - $10 (didn't have time to go to Honda, this will be good)

K&N air filter recharge kit for my AEM filter - $10

I'm not gonna look to order my cap, rotor, and wires online... MSD, perhaps?

Comment

ehh, ive always run 10w30, same for all the other hondas in my family... worked fine for quite a while so far.

Comment

Re: Re: FULL tuneup and oil change: Suggestions and price check

Originally posted by aero3685

oil filter- Go to honda, get a filter for an s2000... they are still made in japan, and are better than any other ones. All other honda filters are rebadged Fram's - ~6 bucks
                      AAAHHH!!! The S2K oil filter myth just won't die!!! All Honda filters are the same, and they are ALL made by Honda!
                      00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Originally posted by aero3685
                        ehh, ive always run 10w30, same for all the other hondas in my family... worked fine for quite a while so far.
                        Ehhhh. I'd use 5W-30. 10W doesn't work quite as well in the fricken freezin' cold. The users manual (for my 90 LX anyway) says 5W is preferred. It says that the 10W will work, but doesn't recommend it.
                        1 3 5
                        |-|-|
                        2 4 R

[ [ - ] ] ( ( ) ) [ [ \ ] ] [ [ ) ) / / - \ \

Comment

u looking at $120 to $150 for a good tune up for ur car.
                          are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote

Bosch Platinum 4 plugs (expensive, but hell... I'm treating my engine!) - $24

I'm not gonna look to order my cap, rotor, and wires online... MSD, perhaps?
                            i used that setup in a 5.0 that I owned before, and let me tell u it made a night and day difference.. 2

My Ride

Comment

Re: Re: Re: FULL tuneup and oil change: Suggestions and price check

Originally posted by mrhonda
                              AAAHHH!!! The S2K oil filter myth just won't die!!! All Honda filters are the same, and they are ALL made by Honda!
                              actually the smaller honda filters are made by honeywell which is I do believe a branch off of, you guessed it FRAM. The S2K filters are made by toyo roki.
                              http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml
                              ~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X