exhaust problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust problem...

hey there guys....umm ive got a problem with my exhuast screws and nuts... umm there old and and kinda rusted. i cant open them, got any ideas guy? anY the nuts have rounded.... i wanna replace my cat and the headers...

Tommy Gun.... Gunning It all dA waY...

cut the them or torch them.
    wat?

Comment

i said forget about it and took everything from the header all the way back to the muffler off. everything down there was really rusted and while trying to get them i rounded everything off.

but probably nothing short of torching them off is going to get that cat free.

Comment

1. PB blaster for ones still round it.
        2. Torching works if you have a torch.
        3. Next step is cutting as mentioned just get a dremel and slowly go at the bolts. Slowly cut until you get right outside of the thread and get a chisel of some sort to pry it open and knock it off.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Since the nuts are already destroyed, you might try visegrips (if you have space). What you can also try (in combo with the visegrips) is taking a small propane torch and heating around the nut. Try not to aim the flame at the bolt, because what you are trying to do when you do that is use the heat to expand the nut. Sometimes heating it up and then letting it cool will work the rust enough that it will break free.

As an aside, probably the only torch you'd be able to cut them off with is an acetylene torch. Just mentioning that cause not many people have them.

Probably your best bet is a grinder/dremel. Especially if you are on your back reaching up there.
          1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

how did you round off all these bolts? Were you not using a 6 point socket?

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB
              how did you round off all these bolts? Were you not using a 6 point socket?

prob not 12 points baby they are so much prettier plus more points are better huh?!?
              My other ride is your ex-wife

Comment

A 6 point socket will give you more contact area than a 12 point will, so a 12 point will round a bolt easier. As far as getting them broke free, try this stuff called freeze off, it like freezes the rust and temporarily breaks it. I don't really know how to describe how it works, other than wonderfully. And for the rounded off bolts part, Craftsman sells this kit that is made specifically for taking off rounded bolts and nuts.
                Originally posted by 92dm
                I was actually just being a smart ass, and not really contributing to this at all.
                VOUCHES
                Bought from: cb95spd

Comment

I dropped the downpipe and everything so I had more room to work on the stuck bolts. Then I cut everything with a cut off wheel, pounded out the studs on the cat and replaced them with stainless steel hardware.

Comment

Umm they just rusted and when i used my knig chrome sockets to open them, they just kept turning. thought that i got them off but it wasjust rounded....
                    yeah i may aswell grind them off, becuase i got new bolts that came with the testpipe..... (scratches HEad) didnt fink of that...

Tommy Gun.... Gunning It all dA waY...

Comment

Working...
                    X