No announcement yet.

EXT: DRL insight wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey timmy, if i can remember right, I really dont think the switch did anything. the switch gets power to it and i know that because it has an led light but naw it didnt do anything. I have a tpye of switch that has three prongs or whatever you want to call it. The first is ground, the middle is load and the last one is 12V supply. And for the 12V supply i used the white wire that provides power for the cigarette lighter. I turned the car on with no headlights or parking lights and then I connected the positive 12V wire(red) from the module to the battery and the lowbeams instantly came on at half power. And I do believe when i turned the headlights on they were bright again. my highs still work and everything but like I said before. Im wondering if I have to hook up the other side as well...
    "The Fresh One"

Comment

Bump
      "The Fresh One"

Comment

after studying the wiring diagrams, i found that the positive wires on BOTH high and low beams are shared. only the low beam ground is constantly grounded hence the black colored wire. the high beams are using that ground-switching system i mentioned in post #15 (for the left side the ground wire is red-blue, right side is red-green). so when you hit the highbeam switch, these two wires get connected to ground completing the circuit and turning on the headlights. each side is independent from each other too.

i still believe my diagram is correct. make sure you have all connections correct. it sounds like you connected the yellow module wire to the positive wire of the high beams within the relay somewhere. this will make your low beams turn on at half wattage with the module on. the switch should work against my diagram as well. that white wire in the cig lighter is a good source for 12V.

double check and double check again your connections.
        1cor10:31
        - 92 LX coupe
        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

ur wires are wrong , ground ur high beam negative wires to a bolt on ur car and it should work perfectly because of our ground switching system.

Comment

Ok guys, Im gonna try and do everything tomorrow and let you all know whats up.
            "The Fresh One"

Comment

Originally posted by srsskyline
              ur wires are wrong , ground ur high beam negative wires to a bolt on ur car and it should work perfectly because of our ground switching system.
              that wont work, all ur lights will turn on, maybe just the lows as well..u need to isolate the high beam wires with diodes and then hook up a remote line after that diode then ground it. that will turn it on

all lights share common lines thats why u diode isolate.
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7...an00056xh1.jpg
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

hmm very interesting setup. i have yet to understand diodes (and i'm an electrical engineer :yikes: ). i know they are like one-way roads correct?

so all the connections are just tapped? the regular wiring is still intact with all corresponding connections? i don't understand the ground switch? so when the DRL is on, you should be grounded at the switch?

sorry so many questions. i just want to know how to make this work. thanks!
                  - 92 LX coupe
                  - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

everyone wants to know how me and cpmike did it =)...i annoyed cpmike for hours on how to do this lol!!

anyways diodes makes power only go one way, not piggy back.

the reason why i put a diode on the positive line, is that you know how i have a line that goes to negitive ground? well if that diode wasnt there then it would turn on all 4 headlights (hense when ur high beams are on all 4 headlights are on) so that diode blocks thats ground signal to the low beams and isolates the high beams, kinda in lame terms, making the high beams a seperate unit from the low beams.

this works great cause it keeps the factory wiring in tact and working, as well as the drl module working.

the reaosn why there is a negitive ground is htat, since our systems and most japanese systems are a negitive trigger for the highs. so thus when you apply the high beam lights it sends a ground through the system and turns on the high beams.

the reason i say that the drl module has to be on when the ground switch is applied is odd. im not sure why, but since there is NO power from the switch when the lights are off...there is no power to ground so no power to turn on the highs. now when the drl module is on, and then u ground it, it will send power to the lights and then turn it on.

i found all this out by cutting, splicing, blowing fuses and pulling my hair out for 3 months. at one time when i figured it out was when i accidently grounded a positive wire from the headlight...and the lights turned on, so i worked from there.

there is a way to not have a switch and just run the drls when the car is on, you would use relays. basically have a relay that is powered when the car is on, then use that relay to turn the positive current into negitive current and connect that output linei to the headlights. make sure u are using 14 guage wire for this.

-of course you have to get this setup running before u can really clean it up and mess with the relays.

use 14 guage or bigger wire for anything that you do here!!! i fried up a few 16 guage and 18 guage wires thinking it was safe. especially that ground switch!!! if u feel the wires getting hot or the switch getting hot you have to upgrade the wiring and possibly the switch.

reference to some relays and diode shit... www.the12volt.com

Retro!

Hater

Comment

hmm.. anyone get their highs to be 50% brightness and able to switch to 100%?

Comment

Originally posted by srsskyline
                        hmm.. anyone get their highs to be 50% brightness and able to switch to 100%?
                        this is what we are trying to accomplish in this thread. as of now follow accordztech's drawing since it worked for him.
                        - 92 LX coupe
                        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

dood i already got that way down 5 months ago... thats why i want to know how to do the USDM way with 50% not 98% or watever it is....

Comment

Doesnt the Insight DRL Module come with a wiring diagram to use
                            on our cars ?

Comment

only for the lows, not the highs.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

the who, and how can i wire the DRL's to a switch?..like if i used my defrost swicth sense my defrosters dont work..eh?

^sold

Comment

Working...
                                X