ENG: How to get rid of the oil in the spark plug tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: How to get rid of the oil in the spark plug tube

Have you ever taken out your spark plug wire and there is oil on them? yeah, that's because your spark plug tube seals are leaking, i had to replace the ones on my f22 like 4 times in one year cause i was doing it wrong and when i took it to mechanics they also were doing it wrong, until i took it to a friend of mine that has been building imports for a while and showed me how to do it
    here is how to fix it the right way:

go to any parts store and buy the valve cover gasket set, and make sure that they include the spark plug tube seals, they're ~$25, also get a small tube of hi-temp rtv silicone gasket sealant

take off the valve cover, remove the old gasket and tube seals, scape and clean out any dirt or gasket remains on the edge of the cover and where the cover sits on the engine

once all that has been cleaned off, put a little of the sealant around the front part of the tube seals (just so they will stick to the cover even more) and then put them on the cover, the gasket also needs to go on the cover, and like the tube seals use a bit of sealant on the corners, where the gasket curves up and where it curves down, it should be a total of 4 corners

since you have cleaned where the cover will sit, put a little of that sealant on those 4 corners so the cover gasket will stick to the head

after that put the cover back on and make sure that it seats even once it's sitting even use the new grommets provided

here is the tricky part: when tightening the bolts you have to distribute the force evenly across, like putting on a tire, you dont do it clockwise nor tighten one all the way first, when tighten one nut, do the nut directly across it next and turn it the same number of times so the cover sits down evenly because what I was doing was tightening them clockwise or tightening one all the way first and them going to the next one, so that's why i at first cylinder one tube leaking after changing them cylinder one would stop leaking and cylinder 4 is now leaking, or cylinder 3, all that was because the valve cover did not come down evenly, so just make sure that it is coming down evenly and you should be good

Now you have changed the VC but you still have so oil down the tube here is how to burn it off: i asked different car knowledgeable people and i got mixed reviews on how to and what to use when doing this, so i seen my friend Jay do it with brake cleaner so since i know that works, that what i used. I waited until the car was cool, very cool, i did it before i drove the car in the morning i advice you do the same since brake cleaner is very flammable.

take out the spark plugs itself, it should have some oil on it, spray two spays of brake cleaner into the tube (one to the left side of the spark plug tube wall and one to the right side) you dont want to use too much.

the mixture will drip into the combustion chamber, and thats what you want. wait about 3 minutes, to let the fumes from the brake cleaner out, after that put the spark plugs back on, put the wires back on the plug, turn on the car and make sure you rev it up, cause its going to want to turn off, and you should see some smoke come out the exhaust, that's the oil, when you see no more smoke turn the car off, and remove the wires and it should be dry, i even had to replace my distributor twice because of this

hope that works for you and enjoy your CB

nice DIY i'll have to get on this mine are leakin now Thanks A Millie.
    Originally posted by Makaveli2k
    Be a man. Grab on the crank pulley with one hand, hold some chloroform over the air filter and "Shush it to death".
    Originally posted by Accrdkid
    Hey did you earn your Red Wings? Red Wings being you muffed dived that coochie and tasted copper and got the red mustache.

No matter how far you go, the same path lies in front of you. "ユメクイ"

Comment

Actually, the main reason why there's oil on your spark plugs is due to the LOWER tube seals. There are 2 sets of spark plug tube seals on F22's. The first ones are at the top, when you take the valve cover off. THe 2nd set you need to take the rocker assembly off to be able to replace them.

THose are the ones that leak about 80% of the time since hardly any mechanic really knows about them. They become VERY hard and brittle over time, which pretty much stops sealing anything at that point. They're a pain in the ass to remove when they get like that but it's worth it if you're tired of having oily spark plugs.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

or u can just go to a gas station and use the compress air to just blow the oil out just make sure u put a towel or something around it so the oil doesnt spill all over ur engine.

MEMBERS RIDE.

Bought from: DannyD , Night Wolf , CB7=91, lummieCB7
        Sold to: LITuner, rezist09, Pacman91EX, 93AccordLXwhite, PhatAccord, TheNextEpisode

Comment

Originally posted by CB7_213 View Post
          or u can just go to a gas station and use the compress air to just blow the oil out just make sure u put a towel or something around it so the oil doesnt spill all over ur engine.
          just to have them fill up with oil again because you're too lazy to change the lower tube seals

Originally posted by kc8enb07
          does it come w/ jdm trash? they better throw away gold in it

Comment

Originally posted by Cb7GHOST View Post
            just to have them fill up with oil again because you're too lazy to change the lower tube seals
            but aren't those like extra hard to change? i wouldn't mind changing them, but i dont want to mess anything up in the process

or can you tell us a simple of changing them?

Comment

Originally posted by Cb7GHOST View Post
              well my valve cover gasket blew so there were oil at the bottom of the plugs after i replaced the gaskets i did this and there was no more oil in there then i found out i still have the warranty for the plugs so i just replaced it

MEMBERS RIDE.

Bought from: DannyD , Night Wolf , CB7=91, lummieCB7
              Sold to: LITuner, rezist09, Pacman91EX, 93AccordLXwhite, PhatAccord, TheNextEpisode

Comment

Originally posted by semitas View Post
                but aren't those like extra hard to change? i wouldn't mind changing them, but i dont want to mess anything up in the process

or can you tell us a simple of changing them?
                Theres one way and one way only to change those. And that's to remove the rocker assembly.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

where can i get the tube seals for the lower
                  MY FOR SALE THREAD

My Recent CB

My Old CBs

1991 Honda Accord EX - MY NEW ONE
                  1991 Honda Accord LX - Impounded and GONE
                  1993 Honda Accord EX H22 - SOLD

BTW IM NOT TURBO.. I WAS GOING TO GO TURBO WITH MY FIRST CB.. BUT IT GOT IMPOUNDED

Comment

honda dealership, don't get that autozone BS

Originally posted by kc8enb07
                    does it come w/ jdm trash? they better throw away gold in it

Comment

Working...
                    X