Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT: universal trunk (fits 90-91 AND 92-93 tail lights)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: universal trunk (fits 90-91 AND 92-93 tail lights)

it took me a while to do this but as promised here it is:

before 90-91 tail lights

after 92-93 tail lights (same trunk)

I'll take you step by step as to what i did to make my trunk universal to all cb tail lights.

step one
    go to the junk yard and buy this

its the middle part of a 92 93 trunk and you will definitely need it

step two
    remove your trunk lights by taking of the 4 caps on each light as seen here

step 3 (you will need a drill)
    you will need to drill 3 holes on each side to make the trunk lights fit.

once you drill the holes the trunk lights should pop right in but you will have a bunch of extra space because the 90 91 trunk lights are longer

now remove the lights.

step 5 grab the inner part of the trunk that you got from the junk yard

and pop it in

its gonna easily fit but to keep it on you will have to drill 1 hole on each side for screws.

once everything is nice and tightly secure put the lights back on and this time it will look like this

the license plate will actually help that thing stay on.
    ALSO, notice that you will no longer be able to open your trunk with your key because it is now hidden.

screw your lights back on, make sure everything is tight and you should be ready to go
    Last edited by #1_M.I._CARLOS; 04-06-2011, 06:47 PM.
    My MRT

Did you make it to fit 92-93 coupe lights?

Comment

actually that is easier lol, all you really have to do is remove that thing where the key goes and it pops right in with no modification, ill be doing that soon to take pics
      My MRT

Comment

will this work if i have a 9293 coupe and want to put 9293 sedan tails on my coupe?

Comment

Originally posted by pedroalcala View Post
          will this work if i have a 9293 coupe and want to put 9293 sedan tails on my coupe?
          as i said you will have to remove that key thingy
          My MRT

Comment

Great write up for those of us that don't feel like swapping trunks.
            1990 Accord EX

Comment

I'll give you credit for actually doing this and following through with a DIY. It yields an inexpensive way to swap tail lights.

From the photos alone, it seems like the garnish could POSSIBLY be hacked up to fit snug within the 9091 license plate recess.

Originally posted by Clean_4th gen View Post
              Great write up for those of us that don't feel like swapping trunks.
              It's also a great write-up for those who enjoy modding on the cheap, cheaping out in general, and have little-to-no care for proper form and/or fine details.

Just saying it like it is.

To each their own.

Toodles.
              My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Joshy View Post

cheaping out in general, and have little-to-no care for proper form and/or fine details.
                Im going to have to agree with this, is a trunk that expensive to warrant a a hack job to a trunk?

I'd rather stay 9091 then incoporate all sorts of flaws into my trunk, as well as how water tight is this? I'd imagine not very. Do it right the first time and you never need to do it again is my thought

Comment

Nice write up. I personally don't care for the round swapped lights. I really like the stock tails lights on Hondas all the way from the coupe,sedan,wagon and the Oddessy. Call me crazy but I do. I also like the headlights. Makes it a Honda. I love the Honda and don't want mine to look anything else. Nothing worst than making a car "look" like another.....V.W. with Rolls grill? Accord into some European thing? No thanks
                  Last edited by SilverShadow; 04-08-2011, 03:28 AM.

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                  New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                  My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

I always thought it could be done. Except I thought you might be able to just bolt it in no problem.

My only recommendation is if you do this, figure out a way to relocate the keyhole.

Now, I'm more curious on if this method would work on wagon tail ights. Since I don't believe they make red/clears for the wagons, someone could perhaps do something like this and drop in the 92-93 sedan red/clears.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshy View Post
                      I'll give you credit for actually doing this and following through with a DIY. It yields an inexpensive way to swap tail lights.

From the photos alone, it seems like the garnish could POSSIBLY be hacked up to fit snug within the 9091 license plate recess.

It's also a great write-up for those who enjoy modding on the cheap, cheaping out in general, and have little-to-no care for proper form and/or fine details.

Just saying it like it is.

To each their own.

Toodles.
                      the whole point of this is to be able to use any lights you want on the same trunk by just popping them in.
                      this is not about being cheap, i have a 92 93 trunk in my garage but what i wanted to do was be able to fit 90-91 lights when i felt like it and 92-93 lights when i felt like it without going to the hassle of removing the whole trunk.

if i wanted ONLY 92-93 tail lights then i would have just swap my trunk out don't you think?

take a closer look, what flaws do you see in my trunk?, it sits perfectly when you look at the done picture, once you screw it in if you did it right no one will be able to tell
                      none of my cb7 buddies noticed even after i told them

as the title says "make your trunk universal" not swap it out
                      My MRT

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                        I always thought it could be done. Except I thought you might be able to just bolt it in no problem.

My only recommendation is if you do this, figure out a way to relocate the keyhole.

Now, I'm more curious on if this method would work on wagon tail ights. Since I don't believe they make red/clears for the wagons, someone could perhaps do something like this and drop in the 92-93 sedan red/clears.
                        good idea, i might try that next
                        My MRT

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
                          Nice write up. I personally don't care for the round swapped lights. I really like the stock tails lights on Hondas all the way from the coupe,sedan,wagon and the Oddessy. Call me crazy but I do. I also like the headlights. Makes it a Honda. I love the Honda and don't want mine to look anything else. Nothing worst than making a car "look" like another.....V.W. with Rolls grill? Accord into some European thing? No thanks
                          well those are the lights i used to show you guys what i did, but with this same steps you obiously can fit in the OEM lights as well
                          My MRT

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                            Im going to have to agree with this, is a trunk that expensive to warrant a a hack job to a trunk?

I'd rather stay 9091 then incoporate all sorts of flaws into my trunk, as well as how water tight is this? I'd imagine not very. Do it right the first time and you never need to do it again is my thought
                            water tights? there is already holes behind your tail lights, drilling other holes wont make water go in if water wasn't going in in the first place.

Ive had this for about 6 months and haven't had a problem with water.
                            there is really no flaws in what i did, other wise i would have just sealed the holes i drilled, and put my old lights back on.

i was having a hard time deciding what trunk i wanted because i like 90-91 tail lights but i also liked 92-93 tail lights, and now i can put any type i want in less that ten minutes
                            My MRT

Comment

Sweet write up! That is a VERY good and useful DIY.

I had no idea this could be done. You would have saved me about $100 buying 2 trunk lids doing 2 trunk swaps on my old car had I known about this.

Comment

Working...
                              X