EXT: Front Lip #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Front Lip #2

This DIY is for those of you who aren't happy with the Garage Door Trim Lip found here: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=ext+lip

There's nothing wrong with that DIY Lip but if your like me and you have aftermarket sideskirts you need something bigger to match the sideskirts length and your broke and cant afford a real lip at the moment and need something bigger than Garage Trim then this is the solution and it can also be found at Home Depot or where i got mine is at Lowes.

What i will be using for this lip is called Garden Edging and it can be found in the garden area by rolls. I bought a roll of 20 ft. for $10. Garden edge is a lot bigger and is actually stronger than the garage trim. Its not flimsy like the garage trim and its made of plastic like real lips and thats what i was looking for since i wanted something longer to match my sideskirts.

Tools needed:
    Garden Edging - Can be found in the garden section
    Stock Lip Hardware (Screws)
    Razor Blade (New preferably to cut through the plastic easily)
    Zip Ties (If you don't have stock hardware)
    Blow Dryer (Optional- Helps bend the edging and make it more workable)

Step 1: Uninstall your front bumper and place it somewhere comfortable where you can work on the underside of it

Step 2: Remove your stock lip but keep your stock hardware (Screws) you will be using these for your new lip

Step 3: Measure your front bumper length where the lip will be and make sure to over measure so you have extra length on the new lip so you can give the ends some curves to match the bumper (will post pics of ends later)

Step 4: Measure the Garden Edge to the size in step 3 and cut that size or a little bit bigger just to be safe (I did lol)

Step 5: Use the blow dryer and start making the lip straight because since its been rolled up in a roll for who knows how long, it will want to curl up on you. This step is optional but will help make it easier to work with.

Step 6: Now that you have the edging to a close size and shape its time to cut the bottom portion off the lip to make it look flat. You can just put the razor blade where the two parts meet and follow that line to get a clean cut. Make sure to take your time on this step and have a new sharp razor so that its easier to cut because this cut will make the bottom of your lip and you want to make sure its straight because it will be visible. (See pic below)

Step 6: Now you have to make the Edging mountable so turn to the back side of the edging and cut a line across the round part. You need to do this to make it mountable. See pics below so you know what i mean. Optional step: use the blow dryer to open the plastic up to make it easier to mount.

Step 7:Now work from the middle out. Start by setting the center of the lip on the center of the bumper and make sure to hold it how you want it to sit on the bumper (Flush), mark where the screw should go and make a hole. I used a screw gun to make the hole. Then install the screw to hold the lip. Now work from the middle out.

Step 8: Trim some of the back of the edging of so you can access the screw easier. see pic below

Step 9: Install all screws, I didnt have to use all of them, i did every other and the corners and the ends with zip ties because my bumper didnt come with a OEM lip or hardware, but i found some extra ones that i had. I gave my edge some curve to give it some style, see pic below, you can do a better job than me but this is a temporary lip for me because im waiting to get some money to buy an aftermarket lip and i was tired of seeing my CB without a lip, looks naked lol

Step 10: Optional step, use the blow dryer to give it shape where ever needed.

Step 11: Primer and paint what ever color you want. I didn't paint mine, but im sure it will look a lot better painted.

Enjoy your new plastic lip thats lower and stronger than the garage door trim!

Thanks for looking! Here some pics of it on my ride, please note that the head of my engine is taken apart and its in the trunk so the front of my car is lifted more than it should be, lol another thing this lip is cool because if you dont want it so big, you can trim it down to what ever thickness you need or want. Ok thanks
    vented Hood

Last edited by SNOOZE; 04-15-2012, 02:19 AM.

Could be mistaken for a Legend lip on a quick glance.

Looks great for what it is.

Ever think of cutting it in the centre to look more like a Legend lip, or cut vents below the lights like the Greddy lip?

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post

Ever think of cutting it in the centre to look more like a Legend lip, or cut vents below the lights like the Greddy lip?
      Yeah I was totally thinking that bro, you can get creative like that, I thought about cutting some grills like mugen lip too

Comment

Funny I omost like that more then the legend lip nice job
        My 90 coupe Mr thread....
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178452

Comment

Originally posted by SPLCB7 View Post
          Funny I omost like that more then the legend lip nice job
          thanks bro!

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post

more like a volvo lip lol

♦░I'm so JDM I sleep on the right side of the bed░♦

Comment

It actually looks pretty legit...SAFER to drive a slammed car with this lip!

KEEP IT NICE, NOT RICE

Comment

this is a damn good right up because it gives people hte oppurtunity to be creative with their front lips without completley screwing up a regular front lip

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189897 MRT
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...09#post3003309 EF hatch build

Comment

Originally posted by jin View Post
                  more like a volvo lip lol
                  Lol

Originally posted by keepinitclean View Post
                  It actually looks pretty legit...SAFER to drive a slammed car with this lip!
                  Yeah I have some pictures of my car getting towed with this lip and nothing happened, it's flexible enough to not fuck your bumper up but at the same time it's not to weak to where it will flutter in the freeway going 70 mph
                  I'll post pics later one tonight
                  Originally posted by redlined302 View Post
                  this is a damn good right up because it gives people hte oppurtunity to be creative with their front lips without completley screwing up a regular front lip
                  Yeah and you can even cut the middle part like a type r lip lol or make it A's thick as you need it, and don't have to worry about cracking your bumper when you hit a dip because it's flexible

Comment

pic of my car being towed with the lip without the chains ripping the front bumper off or damaging anything

Comment

mmm.. looks good..
                      Better than spending $100+

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

nice diy , noice right up. but question if you do the same for the rear bumper will it come out exquisit as the front and did you leave the oem front lip on.

Comment

Originally posted by kouzie View Post
                          mmm.. looks good..
                          Better than spending $100+
                          Haha true that, and if you hit a dip don't really have to worry about breaking or cracking those $100 lol

Originally posted by real_mckoy View Post
                          nice diy , noice right up. but question if you do the same for the rear bumper will it come out exquisit as the front and did you leave the oem front lip on.
                          You can do it for the rear too, and no I took OEM front lip off but used the same hardware.

Comment

So bro you leave the OEM lip on? What if I don't have my OEM lip to put it on. Can I measure it for my.bumper for the bump and use screws and.but.to hold it on?

Comment

Originally posted by ASTCB7 View Post
                              So bro you leave the OEM lip on? What if I don't have my OEM lip to put it on. Can I measure it for my.bumper for the bump and use screws and.but.to hold it on?
                              I didn't leave my oem lip on. I'm sure if you don't have hardware that you can just screw it on or zip-tie it on. I zip tied the corners and it came put fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X