EXT: Swapping trunk lids - and retaining a working key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amadrid
    Does anyone know for sure that the trunk lids are interchangeable. I have to replace the lid on a 92 ex coupe and cant find one.
    all cb7 trunks are interchangeable, youll just need matching tail lights... like switching from 9091 to 9293, youll need the full set of 9293 tails... and if you find a 9293 sedan trunk lid, the outer tails are the same, but youll need the sedan stock inner tails, and youll have to follow this guide to swap key cylinders.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

OMFG I'm going to make love to all of you!

I just got back in from the outside after finishing my trunk swap, and this was one of the problems I ran into. I thought I would have to go to Honda or a locksmith until I chanced upon this

OMFGBBQWTF LOVE YOU ALL FOR MAKING THIS WEBSITE

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
      where you been, is something wrong?
      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

ya i know im going to do a trunk swap nice DIY!
        im lucky though my grandpa is a locksmith so he'll just re key the lock to match the rest

93 Accord SE no tranny:Parting out
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...52#post2070752

86 Ford Ranger fuel problem

Explorer Fund:$1595.23

Comment

Originally posted by xx93accordxx
          ya i know im going to do a trunk swap nice DIY!
          im lucky though my grandpa is a locksmith so he'll just re key the lock to match the rest
          did you see/read uncle_el's post? if you have a sedan of any year and are swapping to another sedan trunk of any year, your current cylinder will work without re-keying the new one. if you are swapping from a 92-93 coupe to a sedan or the other way around, all you have to do is swap the plastic bases on the lock cylinders and you can still use your current one.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

is it possible to get a wiring diagram for the trunk harness?
            ive got a 91 trunk lid that i want to swap onto my 92 coupe but turns out the 92's harness has only 7 wires while the 91 trunklid harness has 10 wires
            Hold On Not Done Accelerating
            Had One Never Did Again

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_el View Post
              oh mikey, i think i (with the help of h23accord) found/discovered something that makes this thing even easier!

NOTE that the above picture is of a 90-91 trunk lid lock (both coupe and sedans for 90-91 shared the same lock) and it shows that it does in fact have the long base, the same as the 92-93 sedan lock. the 92-93 coupe lock is the only one with the unique short plastic base!

AND this is a comparison pic between a 92-93 coupe lock and a 90-91 lock... both the same once disassembled!

just switch the plastic end.

i have not seen the cylinder for the 90/91, so i'm not sure if this holds true for that. but as far as the 92/93 coupe versus sedan, the metal trunk lock is the same, it's the end plastic piece that is different.
              So all I need to do is take the plastic end from a 92/93 coupe trunk and put it on my 92-93 sedan trunk plastic end?
              The past, is history:The future, is a mystery:The present, is a gift.
              James 4:7
              Submit yourself to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Comment

sorry for bringing up an extremely old thread but...when im doing my trunk swap i have a 91 coupe by the way..do i need to use a 92-93 coupse trunk and tails or will the sedan work too? i always thought there be a size difference

Comment

Originally posted by SinCityCB702 View Post
                  sorry for bringing up an extremely old thread but...when im doing my trunk swap i have a 91 coupe by the way..do i need to use a 92-93 coupse trunk and tails or will the sedan work too? i always thought there be a size difference
                  no, you can swap a sedan trunk onto a coupe, they are the same size.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                  Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                  'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                  Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

ight coo..just makin sure..id hate to come home from the yard and have it not fit lol

Comment

well now this thread explains why my 91 sedan lock doesnt fit in my 93 coupe trunk. Good write up!

I have my lock currently just sitting in place. It moves around behind the light, but it's still functional. Just looks like it's broken lol.

Comment

Would this apply to door lock cylinder's as well?!

My door on the lock cylinder I think the spring behind it or something broke off. So the door stays open and freezing rain gets in and freezes my lock cylinders!

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
                        1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
                        1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
                        2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Originally posted by vietkid_2006 View Post
                          Would this apply to door lock cylinder's as well?!

My door on the lock cylinder I think the spring behind it or something broke off. So the door stays open and freezing rain gets in and freezes my lock cylinders!
                          Yes

I've taken apart my driver door lock cylinder before and i can confirm this is identical. My driver door cylinder was all nasty and chroded inside. The key didn't move easily inside the lock nor did it turn well. I took it apart, cleaned and greased it and it works like a dream.

Those little pins im pretty sure need to go back in the EXACT order they came out in. When your key goes in the design of the key pushes those in the exact order to lower them all from the grove they sit in, then it can turn freely inside the lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                            Yes

I've taken apart my driver door lock cylinder before and i can confirm this is identical. My driver door cylinder was all nasty and chroded inside. The key didn't move easily inside the lock nor did it turn well. I took it apart, cleaned and greased it and it works like a dream.

Those little pins im pretty sure need to go back in the EXACT order they came out in. When your key goes in the design of the key pushes those in the exact order to lower them all from the grove they sit in, then it can turn freely inside the lock.
                            I looked at TASAUTO and seems like all I need is a new cap cover thing for the door.

So I just have to replace that part and don't have to re-pin.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
                            1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
                            1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
                            2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Im going to do a swap this weekend...Well there is nothing else to do with Snow around...

My Members Ride Thread ( Do It )

Comment

Originally posted by vietkid_2006 View Post
                                I looked at TASAUTO and seems like all I need is a new cap cover thing for the door.

So I just have to replace that part and don't have to re-pin.
                                I wish i took pictures. The little door flappy thing is part of the internal lock peice, not the cap cover. I didn't touch mine because i didn't want to break it. You can take the cap off and the doors still there.

Easiest thing to do:

Go to junkyard and pocket a door lock

Repin it for your lock

Reinstall

Good to go

Comment

Working...
                                X