INT: Shifter plate light converted over to LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Shifter plate light converted over to LED

My shifter plate light was burned out (P-R-D-3-2-1) so I decided to woop out one of my LEDs I had left over from another project and replace it. Here are the steps:

1) Remove the screws from the center console. there are 4 of them

2) It might help if you play around with the e-brake and shifter to remove the center console

3) Remove the shifter handle, ya know the handle with the chrome button in it. There are 2 screws in that.

4) Remove the 4 screws from the shifter plate and then disconnect the blue connector with the black and red wires going to it.

5) Now twist out the light bulb connector and remove the old bulb. Now find an LED with a resistor soldered on it. It might also be helpful if you put some solder on the ends of the LED to make a snug fit into the bulb holder. Also make sure that the wires on the LED are as short as possible because there is little room inside the housing of the shifter plate.

6) Now reasemble everything back in reverse order and you now have a cool lit up shifter plate. I recommend getting the RGB slow flash LEDs for a better effect.

pics of it done...at night

Rocesride Member Page

Comment

Not a good pic but will have to do. The LED I have in there flashes red and blue so when the red shines it lights up the P and N and the blue lights up the rest when it is lit.

Comment

by flashing colors, you mean it alternates between red and blue, only lighting up the red parts at one time, and the blue parts another time?

Comment

i would be doing this, but im planning on a five speed conversion :O

Comment

sounds pretty good....you should snap some pics of the process...
            remember:: A picture is worth a thousand words

Click ^^^ for MR Thread
            Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
            by the way, arguing on the net is like womens basketball, even if you win, no one cares.

Comment

Originally posted by tanNn2koo
              by flashing colors, you mean it alternates between red and blue, only lighting up the red parts at one time, and the blue parts another time?
              Exactly. The P and N dont light up as well as I want them too but it is because the blue side of the LED is facing up and the red is down. I tried to get pics of the P and N lit up but my camera phone was being an ass. So sry about the crappy pic but my budget does not allow for a digital camera until this summer.

Comment

I didn't know there was a light there. LOL
                !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

do you have the part number (radio shack)on that resistor and LED? i think i'm going to do this because the light for shifter plater is burned out and so are the ones in the ashtray and the lighter.

Comment

Working...
                  X