Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Kurobei's CB7 to CD7 slushbox shifter conversion

This is a how to for changing out a CB7 automatic shifter to a CD6/7 unit
    I take no responsibilty for those who attempt this and damage their accord from doing this DIY incorrectly!

Enjoy!!!!

My accord shift knob is sun damaged and worn from daily driving. A long time ago I went to the junkyard and passed by a 95 Accord and I liked how that particular oem shift knob looked. The oem CD accords shift knob is a little more skinny and non-bulky looking compared to the CB7 shift knob.

I took off the shift knob and tried to fit it on a CB7 shifter.... however it didn't fit. #1 The oem shifter stalk mounting holes aren't in the right spot making it a non-bolt in affair. I threw out the idea since I didn't feel like drilling into my oem shifter stalk just to mount this knob.

Today I was bored and passed by another CD7 accord coupe. This time I examined the whole automatic shifter unit and then compared it to a CB7 unit. I noticed everything was basically the same except for the middle shift stalk. I then took this home and started my project! This is for those who want to opt for another automatic shifter...but don't want to go aftermarket. The 94-97 shifter is a little more sleek in design and in my opinion looks sweet. This is my first DIY i've posted and maybe after this i'll post a few more. Sorry for the pics.... the sun was starting to set and I didn't adjust my camera to the lighting.

Average swap time roughly 45 min. Cost of the shifter unit $17 from my local Pick n' Pull yard without the exchange policy and military discount! Regular price would've been $22 without the exchange policy.

Before

After

Tools:

First start by taking off the center console DUH! (no pics of this) Afterwards you will have access to four 12mm bolts holding the shifter plate down and two 12bolts holding the shift indicator control unit.

Next you want to take off the two 10mm bolts holding the automatic shift linkage.

Once that is out of the way, u can now freely move the automatic shift linkage and it will be easier to access the clip which needs to be removed so you can disconnect the linkage from the shifter unit. Using the vice grips, carefully tug and lift up the safetly clip holding the automatic linkage.

The Clip is removed...however you still can't seperate the linkage just yet. Keep the clip in a safe place until later and don't LOSE IT!

Without the clip, you can now loosen the little nut and with the vice grips loosen and then seperate the linkage from the shifter unit.

Auto shift linkage and shifter seperated
    Last edited by Kurobei; 07-18-2006, 01:14 AM.
    I need a custom turbo manifold built....
    707 NorCal NinjaZ

Honda Twincam Motorwerkz?
    "I am the Yakuza CB7!"
    '92 Accord Sedan SiR

You can now take out the old CB7 unit from the car

Here are some comparison pictures of the CB7 unit and the CD7 unit. CB7 unit is on the bottom CD7 on top. As you can see everything is exactly the same except for the middle stalk and the design of the shift-lock solenoid.

This is the stalk surround. You can't swap over the CD7 unit because it's simply just too skinny. You can be creative here and buy some flexible plastic (maybe cutup a old school binder or something) and make a custom one that will fit. The CD7 unit isn't wide enough and can't be swapped over on the CB7 shifter. I kept my CB7 stalk surround for the time being. The hole is bigger but at least it's not exposing too much.

This is the CD7 shift lock solenoid. Those of you that did a JDM H22a swap, you will need to bypass this either by taking this off or connecting a pin from your jdm computer and wire it to your shifter. (explained in detail in the h22 swap how-to on this site) If you do not do this, you CANNOT get out of Park unless you put ur key in the emergency lock hole located on the shifter.

Now installing the CD7 shifter! Basically installing the shifter is reverse of removal and everything is straight forward.

CD7 shifter unit bolted down

The automatic shift control indicator bolts in the exact same spot on the CD7 shifter unit.

Swap the CB7 face on the CD7 unit (NO the CD7 unit doesn't look right with our console surround )

Now take the 2 10mm bolts and tighten down the auto shift linkage and then meet the shifter and the linkage via linkage screw.

Now reuse the CB7 linkage clip. When joining the shifter and the auto-linkage, screw it until you can see a hole in between the linkage, then bolt the clip in and make sure it passes all the way through the linkage.
    Last edited by Kurobei; 07-20-2006, 03:04 PM.
    707 NorCal NinjaZ

"I am the Yakuza CB7!"
    '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

I lost dropped the pin in between the shifter and couldnt find it for a pic, however I disconnected the solenoid. If you dont have a jdm h22a auto swap, to retain the solenoid simply plug in the green and yellow wire into the bottom clip on the CD7 unit. The top one isn't used so don't worry about it.

And your done!

707 NorCal NinjaZ

"I am the Yakuza CB7!"
      '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

The CB shift knob really is big and clumbsy looking. NICE change over! I like it, it's fresh and differant.
        It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Comment

Originally posted by 93CB7
          The CB shift knob really is big and clumbsy looking. NICE change over! I like it, it's fresh and differant.
          Thanks man, I like the new look too and the shifter feels much more comfortable to hold. I'm kinda wonder if a 97up prelude shifter might fit? I don't know how it looks under the console but I do know it has that Tiptronic control thing and the shifter moves in more directions than just up and down like to get to the +/- side. I wounldn't use it for the tiptronic control obviously but it would be sweet to have the shifter look more luxury like where u have to move the shifter to the side also than just up and down. I guess i'm going to research this. Honda loves to re-use and not change their systems too much so maybe the shifter mechanism might be similar in design....who knows. I also found out that the pre 93 under acuras and hondas have the same e-brake design. I'm trying to find a grey replacement for my tan colored one.
          707 NorCal NinjaZ

"I am the Yakuza CB7!"
          '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

nice man .. you get my A+++
            "LAND OF THE GREAT"!! OSAKA,JAPAN

Comment

Use this DIY in conjunction with this DIY (http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=49313), and you have yourself a pretty sweet looking OEM auto shifter. Thumbs up, nice job!
              1991 Accord LX - R.I.P. you are missed..

1999 Accord EX-V6
              [AMR coilovers/Progress rear sway/NRG strut tower bar/AEM V2 CAI/Morimoto H1 retro/Racing Sparco wheels]

Comment

i like new discoveries. nice diy. later.
                Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

nifty swap, looks newer and cooler. good job.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

great DYI but I dont like how either shifters look, I've been looking for some type of Acura shifters than can be swapped.
                    1993 Accord LX - Sold
                    93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                    92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                    2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                    2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                    2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                    2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

props to the slushbox y0!

Comment

Originally posted by accordtunerZZ
                        great DYI but I dont like how either shifters look, I've been looking for some type of Acura shifters than can be swapped.
                        You might wanna give the 1st gen Acura CL a try. That is the only chassis that is relatively close to a CD chassis accord. If I remember right I think these came with a fancy stiched shifter like the newer 98-02 accords.

I don't think any of the old Acura shifters will work like the older legends for example. I took one off a 2nd gen Acura Legend (the shifter that looks like a F1 fighter jet or DSM auto shifter) and that thing wouldn't directly bolt-on.....however I never looked at the whole shift mechanism to see if it's the same size. Who knows it might be? and just like the CD chassis it might just be the middle stalk thats shaped or drilled differently.

There was a 97 Acura Integra auto at the yard too.... I'm going to take a look on my next day off and give a update!
                        707 NorCal NinjaZ

"I am the Yakuza CB7!"
                        '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

I have a '94 auto --- and yes it has a better shifter than the CB7. Smaller, more ergonomic.

I thought I once saw on HT that someone in fact put a first-gen CL into one, so the CB7 should be OK for that as well. Looked cool but you don't get the gear-to-gear "manumatic" selector, just the regular straight P-R-N-D-L pattern.
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

NICE MANG!!!

Yea, I ran out of steam to research this further. Thanks for the PM though! I'm a little curious though, I was looking at the shifter from a 97 CL or TL or something like that. From what I can see, the only thing you would really need to do is cut off the spinning plastic wheel thing. Hmmm, but I'm still debating whether or not the change over is worth it.

In case you guys are wondering, the shifter I'm looking at looks something like this

Yes, ebay links aren't allowed, but you're gonna have to forgive me this time. Whatcha think? I like the e-brake kinda feel to it.
                            Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
                            D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
                            ┴─┴
                            ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Originally posted by Masamune
                              NICE MANG!!!

Yea, I ran out of steam to research this further. Thanks for the PM though! I'm a little curious though, I was looking at the shifter from a 97 CL or TL or something like that. From what I can see, the only thing you would really need to do is cut off the spinning plastic wheel thing. Hmmm, but I'm still debating whether or not the change over is worth it.

In case you guys are wondering, the shifter I'm looking at looks something like this

Yes, ebay links aren't allowed, but you're gonna have to forgive me this time. Whatcha think? I like the e-brake kinda feel to it.
                              Plastic wheel thing? You lost me there. I saw a legend like that at the yard a long time ago and took the shift knob out. It reminds me of that oldschool sega arcade game Tiger Heli?? like it's joystick. That isn't a direct bolt on however I never looked at the whole shift mechanism.

While doing my swap, I found out it is possible just to swap the middle stalk portion...but that would involve messing with a pain in the ass pre-loaded spring that may be easy to take out, but in the limited space be hard to put back in. The middle section kinda looks like the normal manual shifter if u were to take it out, but instead it has some studs that go over the gear teeth and a stud to works with the shift indicator unit on the side.

I really like how the Acura TL/CL Type-S shifter looks. I want to see if it's possible to really swap the shifter out of these or a 97prelude tiptronic shifter. Of course the +/- options won't be used, but it would be cool to have the shifter look a little more cooler without going just straight up and down to get it in gear or park.

This sunday or monday, on my day off i'm hitting up the yard again and i'll check to see if that legend is still there. If honda was lazy and the shift unit design is the same, I guess we'll be able to swap that as well.
                              Last edited by Kurobei; 07-19-2006, 04:03 PM.
                              707 NorCal NinjaZ

"I am the Yakuza CB7!"
                              '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

Working...
                              X