Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ikayto
    replied
    tighten with wrench till it stops, and a half turn after is 130lbs. So somewhere between that and a quarter turn if yo dont have a torque wrench.

Leave a comment:

• GeoffM
    replied
    Originally posted by Noridetoolow View Post
    FEW people out in this great world of ours ever uses a torque wrench to tighten lug nuts. If this was the COMMON approach, a torque wrench would have been standard in the trunk of cars for the past 20+ years.....as it is, I doubt even a BMW or Benz comes with a factory torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts. Using what is found in your trunk from the factory or a store bought lug wrench....unless your crazy strong, your NOT going to break a lug nut....ever!

I do kinda question this DIY though......I mean, if your on a site like this....I would think its a given that you can change a tire! LOL

Not flamin ya for it though, if it helps even 1 person its worth it!
    Hold on there, one of my friends learned in a high school shop class to STAND on the lug wrench to tighten the nuts. Way too much.

As for the simplicity: A mixture of wanting to be original and constantly seeing the description for the beginner forum made me write it.
    I was going to write one for changing oil, but it's been done already.

Leave a comment:

• Noridetoolow
    replied
    FEW people out in this great world of ours ever uses a torque wrench to tighten lug nuts. If this was the COMMON approach, a torque wrench would have been standard in the trunk of cars for the past 20+ years.....as it is, I doubt even a BMW or Benz comes with a factory torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts. Using what is found in your trunk from the factory or a store bought lug wrench....unless your crazy strong, your NOT going to break a lug nut....ever!

I do kinda question this DIY though......I mean, if your on a site like this....I would think its a given that you can change a tire! LOL

Not flamin ya for it though, if it helps even 1 person its worth it!

Leave a comment:

• GeoffM
    replied
    Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
    It's your DIY, what do you think?

What do you do when your studs break off on the highway due to over tightening?
    You crash

Leave a comment:

• SilverShadow
    replied
    Tighten the lugs just good and tight by hand but not so tight you'll never get them off. Tire mechanic tells me most people can tighten them just fine...but watch out for the ones that use a air gun to tighten them! They can and do break the entire stud (the repair does get you a new shiny one) and get them so tight that if you are flat on the road and try to take them off yourself...call superman. Nothing in the world is more frustrating then changing a flat and the lugs are so tight or worse...the stud just turns with the stuck lug. Ok both and it rains.

Leave a comment:

• evil_demon_01
    replied
    Originally posted by GeoffMisiak View Post
    Good call. Assuming you have a torque wrench. What do you do without one?
    It's your DIY, what do you think?

What do you do when your studs break off on the highway due to over tightening?

Leave a comment:

• GeoffM
    replied
    Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
    Also - tighten the nuts to the correct spec - 80ft/lb
    Good call. Assuming you have a torque wrench. What do you do without one?

Leave a comment:

• evil_demon_01
    replied
    Originally posted by GeoffMisiak View Post
    Tools needed:
    Jack
    Extra tire
    19mm socket
    Socket wrench
    (Maybe) Breaker Bar

Remove any hub caps. Break loose the 4 (5?) lugnuts. Use the breaker bar is needed. If you haven't removed the tire in a while drive the car back and forth about 5 feet.
    Jack the car up and remove the lugnuts the rest of the way.
    Remove the tire and place new tire of the bolts.
    Hand tighten all lugs. Then tighten them all the way using the socket. Tighten opposite lugs until they are all tight.
    Lower the car and re-tighten the lugs using the same pattern.
    Clean up
    Also - tighten the nuts to the correct spec - 80ft/lb

Leave a comment:

• GeoffM
    started a topic SUSP: Change a tire

SUSP: Change a tire

Tools needed:
    Jack
    Extra tire
    19mm socket
    Socket wrench
    (Maybe) Breaker Bar

Remove any hub caps. Break loose the 4 (5?) lugnuts. Use the breaker bar is needed. If you haven't removed the tire in a while drive the car back and forth about 5 feet.
    Jack the car up and remove the lugnuts the rest of the way.
    Remove the tire and place new tire of the bolts.
    Hand tighten all lugs. Then tighten them all the way using the socket. Tighten opposite lugs until they are all tight.
    Lower the car and re-tighten the lugs using the same pattern. Tighten them to 80 ft lbs. Lacking that, tighten them well, but not over tight.
    Clean up
    Last edited by GeoffM; 02-18-2011, 10:40 PM.
Working...
X