Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUSP: Outer tie rod end replacement (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSP: Outer tie rod end replacement (pics)

Jack up and securely support the car, and get your trusty 19mm on the jam nut.

Spin off the outer nut...

Rats! Sucker is just spinning! Grinder with a cutting wheel to the rescue!

A light tap, and she's away!

Unscrew the rod from the inner...

..slather the inner with antiseize...

...and screw the new one in place. Don't forget the cotter pin.

If things don't go your way, get out your ball joint popper...

...and get it off.

Ebay parts from Arm-Can
    2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
    Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
    1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Nice same DIY as the one I posted. Nice.

Comment

dont forget to remind people to get an alignment

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Like immediately after. Did you just buy the outers and not the package that comes with all of them? How are the actual joints? Is it a nice product?
        Last edited by Jarrett; 08-22-2007, 06:14 PM.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I got a package with outers joints and upper control arms, my lower joints were done last year. Product seems fine.
          Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.

Comment

very nice DYI..good detail and great pix

MY 1n2 CB7

Comment

perfect timing, I was about to order the ends from ebay as well

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
              "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
              "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Comment

looks like the brake shield. Keeps brake dust from going everywhere.
                  Gary A.K.A. Carter
                  [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

would that also be called a "front lower tie rod" or is that a totally different part? i have a bent one and need to buy replacements. "front lower tie rod" was the part i was told to buy. did you buy the parts from ebay? and if so what seller?
                    And remember kids, if it's wet, it's not a fart.

'91 Wagon

So far it's ugly:
                    Injen short ram, DIY Grill, Arospeed F/R Strut bars, SS Brake Lines, AEM pads, drum to disc swap, Brembo drilled & slotted rotors

Comment

when u take it off count how many turns the rod takes to come off that way when u put the new one on it is within specs at least drivable.

also if urs spinned like his, then u can get a hammer and slam it out if u know ur not goign to use it or use a hammer to hit the area around the thing that holds the tie rod in place, that will knock it loose.
                      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

very nice man
                        welcome to the DOHC-side..muuuahahahahahah

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1906

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
                          looks like the brake shield. Keeps brake dust from going everywhere.
                          Thanks, there's a bit of a rubbing (coming from the right front side) when I step on the brakes, and someone at a shop once told me that the brake sheild may be causing the noise. I'll get the wheel off this weekend and have a look at it. I can just bend it out of the way as needed, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
                            when u take it off count how many turns the rod takes to come off that way when u put the new one on it is within specs at least drivable.

also if urs spinned like his, then u can get a hammer and slam it out if u know ur not goign to use it or use a hammer to hit the area around the thing that holds the tie rod in place, that will knock it loose.
                            Yep. Mine were about 16 turns. Just loosen the locknut a half a turn, and screw the new piece up to it.

My nut was spinning, hammering wasn't going to accomplish anything.

Comment

instead of griding the bolt that doesnt go on thread anymore, get a two claw puller. then push that sucker off, it worked for me...

Comment

Working...
                              X