hondamikk : 1993 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MortsAccord View Post
    how thick is your intercooler? whats its dimensions? You know you can relocate the AC's lines to a sidemount, or even use a sidemount intercooler /w ductwork.

Also getting a vented hood will DRASTICLY help, and adding vents in the fender areas will also help. Any air vent where it causes a negative pressure(vacuum) against the vetn will help cool your engine bay down considerably.

Consider sanding and painting your exhaust as well with some high temp paint. it does a pretty good job of making things a bit cooler and keeping rust away. Its also much easier than header wrap IMO. Even more so if you got a friend with a bead blaster.

Also I'd try to find a way where you can actually put an intake pipe and filter on the turbo. its not good to run one without a filter at all. You'll want to buy a filter made for some kinda 6.6L turbo diesel, such as an AEM dry flow, one of the best filters on the market aside from the amsoil one personally I like the dryflow better.

Does your wastegate dump to amosphere or back into your downpipe?
    Overall dimensions of the intercooler are 28" x 7.5" x 2.5" so it's not too big.

I was thinking about a vented hood tho, try to stuff as much ambient air in there as I can. Never thought about the painting the exhaust part tho. How does it keep things cooler underhood?

I'm not sure where the wastegate dumps. What would I look for to have an answer for that question? And what's the benefits/drawbacks or each?
    Originally posted by HardInThePaint
    Girls should most definitely rep the shocker. Embrace the shocker.

Be one with the shocker.

My ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187897

Comment

Originally posted by hondamikk View Post
      Overall dimensions of the intercooler are 28" x 7.5" x 2.5" so it's not too big.

I was thinking about a vented hood tho, try to stuff as much ambient air in there as I can. Never thought about the painting the exhaust part tho. How does it keep things cooler underhood?

I'm not sure where the wastegate dumps. What would I look for to have an answer for that question? And what's the benefits/drawbacks or each?

That intercooler is a little thick, id run a 1.25-2" and just go taller. using a intercooler thats too thick causes flow problems. air heats up through it, expands, chokes in the back a little. not only that but you can actually extract TOO much heat and create an unwanted ammount of pressure drop across the intercooler.

Taller before thicker is the way to go on them(if you got the room). Bell makes a LOT of intercooler sizes. you can use their intercooler size and CFM/hp chart as a refrence when purchasing one.

Ever stood by 300-500* hot metal that is uncoated? now imagine standing beside a BBQ grill, it gets hot as hell in there, but you wont feel as much heat because of the paint. Its like ceramic coatings to reduce temperature. You could even buy VHT "flameproof" version. I used BBQ grill paint on my N/A exhaust on a stock f22b1, I put 5 coatings on mine and it does a great job for the 8 dollars I spent on paint, lasts a long timeif you know how to paint.

You could get crazy and add header wrap ontop of painting the exhaust. heh

As for the wastegate, it best to dump under the car past the firewall if dumping to atmosphere, so theres no way it can get back into the engine bay.. but i think atmo dumps sound like shit. At best, the dump tube should run along side the downpipe and tie back into it. Its quieter, and usually performs better unless your talking about an all out drag build, which you can often see venting out the side of the cars plastic/fiberglass shell.

Comment

Wow. Nice sleeper! Very clean cb too.
        The beginning of a new era............................
        165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
        184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

now i see the 18k you put into the car,nice job
          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by MortsAccord View Post
            That intercooler is a little thick, i'd run a 1.25-2" and just go taller. using a intercooler that's too thick causes flow problems. air heats up through it, expands, chokes in the back a little. not only that but you can actually extract TOO much heat and create an unwanted amount of pressure drop across the intercooler.

Taller before thicker is the way to go on them(if you got the room). Bell makes a LOT of intercooler sizes. you can use their intercooler size and CFM/hp chart as a reference when purchasing one.

Ever stood by 300-500* hot metal that is uncoated? now imagine standing beside a BBQ grill, it gets hot as hell in there, but you wont feel as much heat because of the paint. It's like ceramic coatings to reduce temperature. You could even buy VHT "flameproof" version. I used BBQ grill paint on my N/A exhaust on a stock f22b1, I put 5 coatings on mine and it does a great job for the 8 dollars I spent on paint, lasts a long time if you know how to paint.

You could get crazy and add header wrap on top of painting the exhaust. heh

As for the wastegate, it best to dump under the car past the firewall if dumping to atmosphere, so there's no way it can get back into the engine bay. but i think atmo dumps sound like shit. At best, the dump tube should run along side the downpipe and tie back into it. Its quieter, and usually performs better unless your talking about an all out drag build, which you can often see venting out the side of the cars plastic/fiberglass shell.
            Definitely a couple projects to look into once I start working again. Maybe I could find a different way to secure the intercooler at the same time. I've gotta pull the bumper skin off to get to the mounting bolts so a different size could help with that too. I was thinking of another puller fan in front of the engine to help with the one in front of the trans. Painting the exhaust sounds like a good idea too. For sure a project for a not working day. Which I have plenty of right now, just no money to buy paint. Figures. lol

As for the wastegate, it runs back into the intake. Wouldn't that be dumping hot ass air into the motor? Which would be a possible symptom for my overheating issue also if that's the case. I could just run a vacuum hose out to the fender well or something like that to solve that, yeah?
            Thanks for the tips tho, I'll be making those happen once fundage becomes available.
            Last edited by hondamikk; 07-16-2012, 06:21 PM.

Be one with the shocker.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
              now i see the 18k you put into the car,nice job
              Thanks bro. And to think there's so much more to do. lol

Originally posted by jhondayaaj View Post
              Wow. Nice sleeper! Very clean cb too.
              Thanks dude. The almost stock sleeper was the whole goal.

Be one with the shocker.

Comment

Sweet numbers!!!! Great build here!
                I fly by like the coupe grew wings!!!
                Speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                My coupe!!!
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=152924

Originally posted by Racer_XXX
                Excuse me miss, YOUR FUPA IS IN THE WAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Daheavyking View Post
                  Sweet numbers!!!! Great build here!
                  Thanks bro. It's always nice to hear my vision thus far is appreciated.

Be one with the shocker.

Comment

Working...
                  X