reklipz : 1991 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
    Alright, compression test done. Thanks oyajicool. The test was performed with the engine warmed up. Here are the results, as disconcerting as they may be...

The factory service manual, page 3-2, gives the following figures for the 2.2 liters:
    • 178 psi nominal
    • 135 psi minimum
    • 28 psi maximum variation
    I performed another compression test this evening:

Dry
    1. 171 psi
    2. 168 psi
    3. 165 psi
    4. 170 psi

Wet
    1. 181 psi
    2. 184 psi
    3. 172 psi
    4. 177 psi

So, that's promising.

Comment

Well, I just started a new job this week. That means I should have some money to put into some work on the car sometime soon. I'm considering buying a home sometime down the line, and I've also been wanting to buy a Lexus IS 300. I imagine I'll be doing some suspension work on the Accord first, saving for a home, and keeping an eye out for the Lexus. The exterior is in pretty bad shape on the Accord, but the engine seems sound, as well as the interior. The transmission needs new synchros as well. I may be keeping an eye out for an Accord with exterior that's in good shape. Otherwise, if I find the Lexus first, I may just DD that and make the Accord my project car. Sounds expensive...

Anyway, hopefully I'll be making some more posts about the ride here in the near future!

Comment

2013/07/07 - Changed oil and oil filter
        Heh, this is the first oil change that I've posted up. Anyway, this one is special. I put in a synthetic blend, as well as put on an oversized filter. This should allow for an extended OCI, say 2x normal? I'm not quite sure how far to push it; I suppose keeping an eye on the oil in addition to the milage is the best I can do. Some quick (and incorrect, but "close") math on the relative filter media area gives:

L14459
        4.74 in * 2.98 in * π = 44.38 inē
        L20073
        2.95 in * 3.15 in * π = 29.19 inē

44.38 inē / 29.19 inē = 1.52

Approximately 1.5 times as much surface area (with some gross assumptions, of course).

As well, I picked up some more bits for the intake swap, namely, some JY TPS sensors, the roll of gasket material, as well as some more sanding drums and bits for the Dremel. I still need to finish the porting job on the plenum and blending spacer, as well as plug up the holes in the plenum. I'm going to have a shop (or someone) weld up the holes first, and then finish up the job with the rotary tool. I probably won't touch the runners or TB for a port-match job until I have another cylinder head to play with, though.

Finally:
        Front:

Rear:

Those tires are just about a year old. Negative camber is a b*tch. So, I spent Sunday morning at the JY, looking for these:

They appear to be in good shape with minor amounts of corrosion/rust at the top where the coils touch and at the very bottom where the coil sits on the perch. I was hoping to get away without swapping the front suspension back to stock, but my tires are shot and I wasn't about to do that to another pair. An hour or so and $26 later, I would say the coils are worth it. I'm going to clean up the rust (not sure how yet... thoughts?) and repaint the coils with Rust-Oleum before I toss them on. It's too hot and too late in the day today, but perhaps tomorrow, or this weekend at the latest.
        Last edited by reklipz; 07-15-2013, 07:54 PM.

Comment

quick question..

why was there such a large jump in the compression test results?

did you do anything different?
          <-- MRT

Comment

Originally posted by accord4me View Post
            quick question..

why was there such a large jump in the compression test results?

did you do anything different?
            All I did was re-perform the compression test with a different gauge. I borrowed a gauge from a father of a friend, rather than renting a different gauge than the one I first received. I assume the rental one was abused or un-cared for, unlike the one I borrowed, which caused it to give an inaccurate reading.

Comment

I started by removing any flaking paint and surface rust from the springs. I also cleaned up some cuts in the existing paint.

You can still see some of the pitting that was going on.

I've had these front dampers installed, Koni STR.Ts, for about 18 months; they've gone through two Nebraska winters. There were numerous paint chips as well as exposed rust on the body. I did my best to clean these up with 320 grit sand paper; they would have been bare metal w/o rust, like the springs, but I don't have a wire wheel, and sanding by hand isn't worth the time.

After painting.

I apparently never captured a photo of the painted springs. I had a can of flat black Rust-Oleum and decided to finish it off painting the springs and the struts.

The springs had plenty of time to dry, but unfortunately the struts did not. Installing the springs on the struts and installing the assembly into the vehicle (into the strut fork) caused a fair amount of the paint to come off. I may take another can and touch it up inside of the wheel well. I don't quite yet know what my plans are as far as improving this car goes. I want to build a N/A F22, but I don't know if I want to upgrade the suspension, braking, exterior and A/C as well... Decisions!

Comment

She's dead:

I sold this early summer to a guy who needed a cheap reliable car for a few months, with the possibility of getting it back to continue bringing back to life. Less than two weeks afterward I received the above photo via text.

Comment

What the fuck happened...

That's where mine got hit. Not nearly that bad but hit in the same spot. About the same color too. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=share

Comment

Honestly, I'm not quite sure. I believe he was T-boned pulling onto on a divided highway. Screwed up his leg and back, but he wasn't in the hospital long at all. I still have a bunch of parts I stocked up for swap.; I think I'm going to try and find another coupe...

Comment

Working...
                    X