Next purchase - 35mm f1.8 or Flash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next purchase - 35mm f1.8 or Flash?

Alright, I know the next purchase I want to make is between these two lovely pieces

SB-600 Speedlight - New - $220

OR

Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G - New - $210

Pricewise they are pretty much the same so that doesn't make either one more interesting to me.

The flash is something I've wanted from day one as the pop up just can't provide enough in some situations. Also, I feel like learning how to properly use a flash is the first step to becoming a real photographer and not just another guy with some nice gear.

The 35mm f/1.8G is a pretty awesome lens from what I've seen. The price is amazing too, considering it was just released. I've been shooting a lot for the school newspaper here at UT and I've found that a lot of the time I can get close to my subjects but there isn't ever enough light. In most of those situations I feel like a flash would be very distracting or in some cases not even allowed (such as at basketball games and important conference meetings).

So it's a toss up On one hand, I would love the flash to allow me to get a little more creative and deeper in my knowledge of photography but I'm not sure if it would be usable in many of the situations I'm currently shooting. On the other hand, I would love the 35mm for it's super speed.

So, for you guys that have already gone through decisions like this before I would like some insight. Should I get the flash to push myself towards more technical photography or should I get the 35mm to simply meet my needs now?

Originally posted by Maple50175
    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

What do you already have gear wise?
    I would not be able to do 90% of my photojournalistic work that I do without a flash whether off camera or on.
    What do you shoot other than sports?

1999 Honda Prelude
    Photography Site

Comment

I currently have

D40
      18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
      55-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR

I shoot mainly sports and cars with a few other misc. events thrown in. I also like to take shots whenever friends get together, so party like environments.

My thinking was with basketball season coming up I feel like the f/1.8 would do a lot for me compared to the flash. I am getting paid for my work with the school newspaper, so I want my gear to help me the most it possibly can in that regard. The flash seems like it wouldn't help me much in my job-type shots. However, it is something I really would like to have for more hobby-type shots.

Comment

Lens.

1999 BMW M3
        2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
        2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
        2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

35mm 1.8 = 210 + shipping = 220?
          Sell 55-200mm = 175

Buy 80-200mm f/2.8 for only 200 more.

But seirously, 400 out of pocket for a lens that would be beneficial in so many ways.

Seems like flash isn't the smart move here. Flash lit sports is tricky, and in a HS environment I think it would be hard to learn/do.
          Click for my ride thread.

Comment

on camera flash for sports isnt so great. flash is an awesome investment and will motivate u tons to shoot indoors and other stuff.... i say buy a 50mm 1.8 and a flash honestly...

"Tucking tires and wires."
            The Chronicles.

Comment

Please explain how/where I would go about getting this amazing offer

Also, my D40 only autofocuses with AF-S lenses so at this point I'm not going to dump money into a lens that won't autofocus.

Comment

50mm f/1.4G AF-S $450

A little pricey for me right now

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
                  on camera flash for sports isnt so great. flash is an awesome investment and will motivate u tons to shoot indoors and other stuff.... i say buy a 50mm 1.8 and a flash honestly...
                  I agree. The 35mm isnt going to be long enough for any sports unless you are in the game, then it still will be short. The flash is going to help you alot with indoor party type shots. Also alot of your photojournalistic stuff for the paper will probably be profiles on people and athletes. I thought when I first started that Id shoot every sports game there was, not really the case. I have shot a lot of player images, ALL with flash.
                  Just my $.02!

And i think the suggestion was for the Nikon 50mm f/1.8
                  Last edited by zelseman; 11-06-2009, 12:33 AM.

1999 Honda Prelude
                  Photography Site

Comment

First, the shots I do for the paper I get to choose. We don't really do too many player profiles and when we do we always use an action shot.

Secondly, I feel like the 35mm would be fine for courtside shots for basketball and volleyball, the two sports I really need a lens like this for.

Finally , the 50mm f/1.8 not autofocus compatible with the D40.

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post
                      First, the shots I do for the paper I get to choose. We don't really do too many player profiles and when we do we always use an action shot.

Secondly, I feel like the 35mm would be fine for courtside shots for basketball and volleyball, the two sports I really need a lens like this for.

Finally , the 50mm f/1.8 not autofocus compatible with the D40.
                      Forgot you couldn't get the 80-200mm AF-D version. That's what I'm looking at in the future. AF-S version is overpriced because you may as well step up to a 70-200mm VR. Anyways...

35mm doesn't seem ideal for sports but I don't know.

And chris... I don't really see the use of one external flash really being utilized in high school sports. A) do player/students/teachers care if there is a flash on the court? B) You have to take it at the EXACT time and place it's set up for... to get the right shot then wait for it to recycle. So you have to be pretty good at what you're doing. C) I can imagine it would be hard to find a safe place to secure them up high... and then with just one it may be tricky.

Although, that said. If you got one up high by the basket you could freeze the motion of a dunk or block or something like that. Sports Illustrated is flash shot a lot... then again pros are okay with it. In the HS setting it's a bit different.

Hmm, sticky situation. I'm sure you could make good shots with a 35mm.

*Not speaking from experience. Speaking from what I've read and my own experiences in a high school gym...
                      Click for my ride thread.

Comment

From experience, 35mm on a crop sensor is not long enough for basketball or volleyball on any level, especially with the resolution of the 40d.

It seems as if neither of your options are going to help you with shooting sports. To shoot sports whether indoor or outdoor, you need long fast glass. Plain and simple.

Sounds like its time to start saving some more money.

1999 Honda Prelude
                        Photography Site

Comment

why do you need auto focus?

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

why wouldnt u need autofocus for shooting sports? sure people used to shoot manual focus, but people used to lots of things that we dont have to anymore.

"Tucking tires and wires."
                            The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
                              why wouldnt u need autofocus for shooting sports? sure people used to shoot manual focus, but people used to lots of things that we dont have to anymore.
                              oh yeah lol.

i forgot he was into jazzy shit like sports.

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Working...
                              X