cd5 side skirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cd5 side skirts

dont tell me to search, been there done that, i just need some pictures of cd5 side skirts on a cb7 and im just assuming, but 4 door to 4 door correct? and do they bolt up or is it needing work to go on

You need work going into it.
    Like if you have the OEM CB mudguards, you would have to trim the front of the side skirt a bit so it clears having the OEM CB mudguards in place and not having it flex all crazy to fit the sideskirt.

You would have to cut off all the tabs on the cd5 side skirt for a more flush install.
    You have to cut chunks off the OEM sideskirt to allow custom mounting of the CD5 side skirt to your car.

Here are the search results:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ht=DIY+5th+gen
    Last edited by daovangphotos; 10-03-2011, 11:59 AM.

MRT

Comment

so is it more of an equivilant to mounting a cd5 rear lip, i have that done, or a legend lip, also done, the rear lip was a bitch, front lip, not a problem

Comment

For the sideskirt, it is just going to take time to measure and drill in the right areas.
        I was never fond of the rear lip so i cannot say.
        I have done 2 CD5 front lip and they were fairly easy.
        if i were to rate it, the front is easier than the sideskirt, because the sideskirt has a left and a right side, so more measuring and more tapping, lol.

MRT

Comment

all the inner tabs on the cd skirt, remove. this will allow it to sit flush against the oem cb7 skirt.
          you will need to trim the upper lip of the CD side skirt as well, so it can sit flush against the car. the cd skirt is wider on top than the cb one, so you need to cut it to narrow it down. use 4DR with 4DR and 2DR with 2DR, because theres a slight difference on the top lip portion and its shape. not a big issue, but for cleanliness and just in case gaps might show up on a 2DR CB if you use the 4DR CD skirts.

the easiest way to do it, that me and slick_nine did, is install it almost as you would aftermarket side skirts, with one exception: the front.

first things first: aline the backends of both skirts together.

the front of the oem cb7 skirt you will need to make slots. on the front of the cd skirt, cut it so that you make tabs, these tabs will slip into the slots you made on the cb skirts. use a long screw to kinda connect them and provide some support.

the back is simply a screw holding the two together, like an aftermarket side skirt.

after that, use CD front mudflaps for best fitment, as the cd ones are already formed and curved to the cd skirts and are also shorter. the mudflap, when properly installed, will provide extra support for the front, as well as hide the shortness of the cd skirt. you don't need to cut the CD skirt any shorter than it already is.

The benefit of this method is that it simplifies the installation much more, and also is much more sturdy than the previous linked DIY. By installing over the CB skirt, you retain the original mounting points: the clips on the side, and the body fasteners on the underside of your car. the CD skirt is then supported on the CB skirt by the screw through the backends, resting on top of the CB skirt, the screw at the front, as well as the mudflap, which should be held up by at least two screws.

Last edited by P5ylance; 10-05-2011, 04:30 AM.
          blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

Thats probably why the CD5 skirts I have fit like ass. I probably am using the 4dr ones on my coupe. When I initially test fitted it, it looked WAY off and stuck out a good 2 inches from the door. So bad I could see inside the skirt when the door was shut.

So I'd need the 2dr CD5 ones for sure for my coupe?

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
              Thats probably why the CD5 skirts I have fit like ass. I probably am using the 4dr ones on my coupe. When I initially test fitted it, it looked WAY off and stuck out a good 2 inches from the door. So bad I could see inside the skirt when the door was shut.

So I'd need the 2dr CD5 ones for sure for my coupe?
              mmmm, the difference between the skirts is that on the two-door one IIRC it flares out toward the back (iono if you can vision what i'm saying ) so by the door its narrower than at the back portion where theres no door.

however, thinking back on my side skirts, i may have gotten 4DR ones too, cuz when i trimmed it i just took a knife and went straight down. I'll check, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference. your issue is probably because it's either:

1) the top lip isn't trimmed back enough to allow it to sit flush flush against the body

2) when you installed it over the oem CB7 skirt (if that's the route you took) the clips don't all reach their respective holes. i have that issue on my passenger side skirt, the backend doesn't clip all the way in. I think this is because it's getting pushed out by my tow spot (you need to trim the tow spots on the CD skirt because they don't exactly line up with the CB) so i need to cut some more stuff.

I'll check my sideskirt before school, and i'll sign back on tonight to let you know if i got 4DR or 2DR ones.

I haven't been to a JY in a while, but i'm almost certain the 2DR ones are as i describe and slightly different from 4DR ones. o.o if not, i am completely sorry for the misinformation, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by P5ylance View Post
                mmmm, the difference between the skirts is that on the two-door one IIRC it flares out toward the back (iono if you can vision what i'm saying ) so by the door its narrower than at the back portion where theres no door.

however, thinking back on my side skirts, i may have gotten 4DR ones too, cuz when i trimmed it i just took a knife and went straight down. I'll check, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference. your issue is probably because it's either:

1) the top lip isn't trimmed back enough to allow it to sit flush flush against the body

2) when you installed it over the oem CB7 skirt (if that's the route you took) the clips don't all reach their respective holes. i have that issue on my passenger side skirt, the backend doesn't clip all the way in. I think this is because it's getting pushed out by my tow spot (you need to trim the tow spots on the CD skirt because they don't exactly line up with the CB) so i need to cut some more stuff.

I'll check my sideskirt before school, and i'll sign back on tonight to let you know if i got 4DR or 2DR ones.

I haven't been to a JY in a while, but i'm almost certain the 2DR ones are as i describe and slightly different from 4DR ones. o.o if not, i am completely sorry for the misinformation, lol.
                idk, I've had those skirts sitting in my garage for over 2 yrs now, seems like too much hassle. I took my CB7 skirt off and all the clips broke lol, so I had to go back to the JY and get more just to try and test fit the CD5 one with some clips. I remember I could stick my hand inside the skirt as I laid it against where the stock one was, just seemed impossible to fit right back then.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I've got 4DR ones

mmm, just think of it as installing an aftermarket skirt over your oem CB ones, and it should make sense. screw it on at the ends, remember what i said about what to do at the front, and you're good to go.

the top of the skirt has this little ledge (when you look at the skirt you'll see what i'm trying to refer to). that's about as much as I cut off at the top, that should give you enough clearance. adjust as you need to.

Comment

Working...
                  X