Honda Blue Coolant worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda Blue Coolant worth it?

Well i just recently put a new radiator in my car since the stupid plastic neck cracked from becoming really corroded over the 7 years it was on there.

I was thinking about installing Honda Blue Coolant vs. the Prestone green coolant I have in there right now.

Would there be any benefit to running the Honda stuff over the Prestone stuff? I live in AZ where temps get hotter than anywhere else, so would there be any added cooling efficiency benefit from using the Blue stuff?

i know its expensive, but its not like you have to change coolant out like oil so I'll pay the 5 dollar difference or whatever it costs per jug. I get a nice discount since I go to the dealer so much anyways so it may even cost the same as the Prestone stuff I find at Autozone.

Idk if its too late now, or what since I've already been using the Prestone stuff for about 50k miles since I swapped. But since the new rad. was just put in last week, I figured there may be some benefit.

What did our engines orignally come with from the factory? Blue or green?
    Last edited by Losiracer2; 06-11-2012, 12:30 PM.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

all of the new hondas run the blue stuuf i run it in my car but im a honda tech so i got it for free it seems to run alittle cooler

Comment

Some people will tell you this and other will tell you that.

I typically run it in new cars for a while and then when it needs to be flushed, I would just run Prestone.

Not going to notice a huge difference, and the Prestone is made to mix with any color and is safe for the majority of systems.

Comment

i asked at the honda dealer which coolant i should use. They told me that my car probably came with the "green" stuff originally and that it wouldn't be worth it to run the "blue" stuff.

-2 cents.
        Originally posted by deevergote
        These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

ok, because I know that Prestone is silicate free and Ethylene Glycol based just like Honda so I'm still wondering what other advantages the honda stuff has

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
            ok, because I know that Prestone is silicate free and Ethylene Glycol based just like Honda so I'm still wondering what other advantages the honda stuff has
            It is designed to run in our specific systems to the specs they were designed to....

but really your just paying for the brand at that point because if your system is new or maintained well, then really its just a closed system with one or the other cooling components.

You know what I mean?

Its not going to really do that much.

It might run slightly cooler like the other dude said, but beyond that I can't see two systems, one running prestone, one the blue, both maintained perfectly, being much different.

Comment

In my cb I ran the blue because at the time, my father worked for Honda.

He has since retired and I live 1200 miles away from him.

I now use Prestone in my 2002 and I haven't needed to add any to my 09 C-RV.

In the C-RV it is blue, so Ill spend the $ since it is under warranty.

After that it's Prestone.

Comment

No actual study performed, but it appears to me that on the Honda blue coolant vehicles I've serviced/owned they coolant hose life is longer.

Example: My wifes 2003 Element had original coolant hoses for 180-190K miles before we swapped them all out. I have original hoses on another Honda blue coolant vehicle with 126K miles.

OEM hoses did not last as long on the 90-93 Accords I've serviced. I'm assuming the key difference is the Honda blue vs Prestone green coolant.

Anyone else have data they could provide on this?
                HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

slightly

would it look cool if there were clear hoses made so we could see the coolant flowing around in the system

i would go for the blue then as its my favorite color

but back on topic, all my cars have run green coolant and i have had no problem so far
                  http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Pool hoses are clear....they make the proper diameter but I dont believe the pool hose's would hold up under the temps.

Would be cool though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                      Pool hoses are clear....they make the proper diameter but I dont believe the pool hose's would hold up under the temps.

Would be cool though.
                      I know for the 8th gen Civics there was a company that used the same glass as pyrex bake ware that made an a section of the upper radiator hose so that you could see the coolant flowing.

*found it.
                      Last edited by Leung; 06-11-2012, 03:47 PM.

Comment

OT: but they do have clear hose, and glass/hose hyrbids

http://killerglass.com/

They also make charge pipes

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                          OT: but they do have clear hose, and glass/hose hyrbids

http://killerglass.com/

They also make charge pipes
                          ok, now you got my heart palpitating
                          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

The Honda blue coolant is Long life fluid.
                            With a life of 10 years or 200,000kms.

Where as Honda green is 5 years, 100,000kms.

I use Blue in everything because I know I'll never have to change it again.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                              ok, now you got my heart palpitating
                              haha thats why i used the blue one first..I like blue too and that looks dope

Comment

Working...
                              X