No announcement yet.

TGDRUMS1990 : Active 3 way Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I meant the VR3 amp probably has greater distortion than other amps. If you're going to run amps to all channels in your system, I'd try to find a headunit with NO internal amplifier. Find something that just gives you 8v pre-amp outputs, the lack of an internal amplifier means less potential interference and less heat generation inside your headunit.

And a pod in the door panel isn't hard at all...

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
      I meant the VR3 amp probably has greater distortion than other amps. If you're going to run amps to all channels in your system, I'd try to find a headunit with NO internal amplifier. Find something that just gives you 8v pre-amp outputs, the lack of an internal amplifier means less potential interference and less heat generation inside your headunit.

And a pod in the door panel isn't hard at all...
      This is true. Once i get workin again i will upgrade the deck for sure and maybe some amps later

Really? I gusse it depends on how you go about doing things... Im really not even sure how I would go about doing an enclosure in the door to be honest. Im still a rookie in the manor of fabbing things. Im more of a designer than anything. But building shit is just so much fun.
      My System
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165155

Comment

What I did was took the two factory speaker grilles out (just a few screws on the back of the panel, cut out some wooden rings to mount the speakers in, took a few little pieces of wood to hold the rings in place then wrapped it in a layer of fiberglass. Then paint or wrap however you want. When I was done, I just had to screw the pods onto the panels and pop them into the door.

Comment

What I'm going to do is.
          1. Wrap the lower corner of the door panel in glass to get a mold.
          2. Take the door panel off, roll the window down and glass into the hole and around it so I'll have enough material to connect to the door panel mold.
          3. Cut a hole in the door panel mold and glass the ring to the inside/bottom panel mold.
          4. Connect both panels and reinforce, then deaden with modeling clay and lead to reduce resonance.

It should be almost flush with the door panel when I'm done. The speaker is fairly deep at 4 ish inches.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            What I'm going to do is.
            1. Wrap the lower corner of the door panel in glass to get a mold.
            2. Take the door panel off, roll the window down and glass into the hole and around it so I'll have enough material to connect to the door panel mold.
            3. Cut a hole in the door panel mold and glass the ring to the inside/bottom panel mold.
            4. Connect both panels and reinforce, then deaden with modeling clay and lead to reduce resonance.

It should be almost flush with the door panel when I'm done. The speaker is fairly deep at 4 ish inches.
            Sounds sick. I have always wondering what a car would sound like with acaul enclosure for the drivers in the doors that are designed right ( Meaning given proper amount of VAS... Not choked to death).
            My System

Comment

Are you gonna have your pods pointing to the sides or pointing towards your ears? Mine are setup open in the back with dynamat and such on the doors, but then rather than pointing to the sides so they're flush they come out quite a bit and point up and back, towards the ears.

With that baffle, what kinda foam looking stuff did you use and how is the MDF being held in place? Just by the foam or by bolts too?
              Last edited by Sarthos; 10-11-2010, 02:08 PM.

Comment

They'll be pointing to the sides. They aren't playing high enough for me to aim them.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Mine do this

Sounds really good with that directionality.

Comment

Update:

Well after ripping the surround on that 8 i decided to go a difrent route. Anythought if they ran along the pillar / windsheild facing each other?

v Headliner v
                    >----------------<

^ top of dash ^

^ Drivers Veiw ^
                    Last edited by tgdrums1990; 12-02-2010, 01:26 PM.
                    My System

Comment

I'd be concerned about their off-axis response. You should do a test fit first and listen for the higher frequencies. If they sound muffled then you need to move them more on-axis.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

4 tweeters in each pillar? You'll never get them time aligned right it's gonna sound real weird...

Comment

No their mids...

Bassically what they look like, Crossed at about 200hz and at 4khz
                          Last edited by tgdrums1990; 12-03-2010, 05:04 PM.
                          My System

Comment

Oh, they must be some rather small mids to get 4 in the pillars then. That's why I assumed tweeters.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                              Oh, they must be some rather small mids to get 4 in the pillars then. That's why I assumed tweeters.
                              Ah i see. yea there 1 " x 4 " and .5" thick. Oh and see post above i fixed the pic.
                              My System

Comment

I don't really like the specs on those...
                                Pros:
                                Small, thin and compact
                                Low inductance
                                Cons:
                                Inefficient,
                                1"x4" oval size

Are you doing this to be different or for SQ?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                                X