Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

alloy rims sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alloy rims sanding

i got these alloy rims yesterday for my lx 90 accord all four of them with caps for 125 but they kinda have a few scratchs on them. how should i sand them down and paint them!! HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP ps. these are not the rims in the pic just found it on google cam broke!

Emery cloth. Lots.

If you just plan on painting them then you can just scuff them after you get out the imperfections. Then get an etching primer, your paint color, and clear coat. Then paint them how you would normally paint them.

Comment

If you want to keep the bare aluminum, I redid a set of curb rashed/corroded/peeling wheels by using an 80 grit Scotchbrite disc on my drill to smooth out the curb rash, then used the car as a lathe to sand them evenly and in a circular pattern similar to the original machining. I jacked the car up, put the bare wheel on the driver side, used a wood block to keep the passenger tire from spinning, started the car, put it gear (just let it idle), then with wet/dry sandpaper and a flexible sanding block and a garden hose trickling water on the sandpaper, held the block/sandpaper against the wheel and let the car do the work. Used a rougher grit until all the scratches and corrosion were gone, then worked up to about a 600 grit that left a finish that looked similar to the original from a few feet away. You can keep going with finer grits and even polishes if you want a glossier finish (and have the patience). Cleaned, dried, then painted with Eastwood Diamond Clear. They held up fairly well for a few years.

Before & after (before clear coating). I don't think this was the worst one. Not quite as shiny as factory, but certainly better than rash, corrosion, and scratches or $100+ per wheel it costs to have them professionally refinished.
      Last edited by Fleetw00d; 12-03-2010, 03:33 AM.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

thanks fleetw00d i sanded inside the rim just to make sure 80 grit was ok after i fine it down with 300 grit and so on now i take your word now my wheel project starts ill put pics up after im done

Comment

Make sure you post an update when finished.

Comment

Working...
          X