Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Are Mugen MS-Z semi-bucket seats really Mugen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Mugen MS-Z semi-bucket seats really Mugen?

I spent the day reading through the "What seats will fit?" thread and a couple of other seat threads and... wow, chaos mostly. So far with the exception of a few seats close to our generation it seems like non-CB OEM or Aftermarket seats are both sort of labor intensive when it comes to swaps. I have a few questions related to seats and the first one is:

Is anyone familiar with Mugen seats? Are Mugen MS-Z's really Mugen? I know Mugen didn't exactly support our platform but I was under the impression they had sort of faded away.

Second Question: If they are real why are the only MS-Z applications for the CR-Z and the Fit? No RSX, no S2K, no application for any of the sporty older models that someone who loves an old-school tuner could rep as a new product from an old company. Oh yeah, and it would be nice to have those applications because we already know people have done the CB swap with those stock seats.

Third: This one is a stretch I'm sure, but, are CR-Z or Fit seat rails anywhere close to the dimensions of a CB? I tried to find technical info for the seat rails on a couple of the sites that were selling them. I couldn't find anything on the ones that were in English and I don't speak Japanese so the others were a bust too.

Anyway thanks for y'alls time.

Mugen MS-Z seats have a Recaro logo in the middle. Recaro made the JDM ITR seats.

The MS-Z look quite similar to the Recaro Speed seats, but the seatbelt loops are different.

That being said, King Motorsports lists needing Recaro rails to work.

My guess is something like these rails from Planted would let you make the seats fit properly.

Having authentic Mugen seats would be cool and all, but at $2,000 a seat it's a lot of $$$ for the car. You could easily get a set of JDM ITR Recaros for significantly less.

Comment

So when talking about aftermarket seats, I try to stay away from the use of the word "rails". Because that word itself can be kind of misleading. The "rails" are generally made up of 2 parts, the base, and the slider. For OEM seats it works, because most often both pieces are integrated into the stock seat pan anyway, as the stock seats are one whole unit. But for aftermarket seats, its much less confusing if you call them by their actual names.

So most aftermarket reclineable seats are bottom mounted. Which is exactly what the MS-Z appear to be. They are made by Recaro, but specifically for Mugen. So while you may find a similar Recaro seat, you will never find one in the exact color/pattern as the Mugen ones.

So for bottom mount seats, you need the seat, and to the seat you attach a slider, then to the slider you attach a base, which then bolts to the floor. For the sliders, I would highly recommend using Recaro ones, as the bolt holes should line up without issue. Otherwise Sparco sliders are another good option. For base, I'd recommend either Planted Technology, or Sparco. There are other brands but these two have the best and strongest designed bases. I have the Planted ones myself and can vouch for them.

So, to clarify, you would need 2 of these:

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...ECARO-HARDWARE

And one each of these (one Driver, and one Passenger side):

http://www.plantedtechnology.com/pro...iver-left.html

http://www.plantedtechnology.com/pro...ger-right.html

Comment

Originally posted by Corweena View Post
        So when talking about aftermarket seats, I try to stay away from the use of the word "rails". Because that word itself can be kind of misleading. The "rails" are generally made up of 2 parts, the base, and the slider. For OEM seats it works, because most often both pieces are integrated into the stock seat pan anyway, as the stock seats are one whole unit. But for aftermarket seats, its much less confusing if you call them by their actual names.

So most aftermarket reclineable seats are bottom mounted. Which is exactly what the MS-Z appear to be. They are made by Recaro, but specifically for Mugen. So while you may find a similar Recaro seat, you will never find one in the exact color/pattern as the Mugen ones.

So for bottom mount seats, you need the seat, and to the seat you attach a slider, then to the slider you attach a base, which then bolts to the floor. For the sliders, I would highly recommend using Recaro ones, as the bolt holes should line up without issue. Otherwise Sparco sliders are another good option. For base, I'd recommend either Planted Technology, or Sparco. There are other brands but these two have the best and strongest designed bases. I have the Planted ones myself and can vouch for them.

So, to clarify, you would need 2 of these:

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...ECARO-HARDWARE

And one each of these (one Driver, and one Passenger side):

http://www.plantedtechnology.com/pro...iver-left.html

http://www.plantedtechnology.com/pro...ger-right.html
        Fair enough, I thought those planted pieces when I looked quickly were an all in one setup. My Corbeau setup was an all-in-one option (sliders and rails).

Those Recaro sliders are dual locking, correct?

My Corbeau sliders are double locking compared to the single locking option and came much more

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
          Fair enough, I thought those planted pieces when I looked quickly were an all in one setup. My Corbeau setup was an all-in-one option (sliders and rails).

Those Recaro sliders are dual locking, correct?

My Corbeau sliders are double locking compared to the single locking option and came much more
          Some times you can find an all in one setup, depending on the manufacturer and the car its for.

Yes, they are dual locking. I had single locking ones, they were terrible. Switched to dual locking and its so much better.

Comment

Awesome, I appreciate the input! The Slider/Base explanation cleared up some confusion I was having so thank you both on that as well. I must say that I like the idea that they are manufactured by Recaro. Definitely not excited about the price, but at the end of the day I feel like ITR Recaro's belong in a DC, only because were getting to the point that they may become scarce. I'm still fuzzy on why they only have those two applications though(Fit/Jazz and CRZ), just seems like a weird choice when there are plenty of folks who grew up wanting to do a '90s-'00s build and some are now at the age where they have the means to fork out Mugen money haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Harriers Wake View Post
              Awesome, I appreciate the input! The Slider/Base explanation cleared up some confusion I was having so thank you both on that as well. I must say that I like the idea that they are manufactured by Recaro. Definitely not excited about the price, but at the end of the day I feel like ITR Recaro's belong in a DC, only because were getting to the point that they may become scarce. I'm still fuzzy on why they only have those two applications though(Fit/Jazz and CRZ), just seems like a weird choice when there are plenty of folks who grew up wanting to do a '90s-'00s build and some are now at the age where they have the means to fork out Mugen money haha.
              Now that I think about it...air bags in the seats might be a reason. I don't know what models do / don't come with airbags, or powered seats, or heated seats, etc.

Maybe there's a wiring thing that can cause havoc.

Comment

You may be on to something, I didn't even think about electrical. I'm used to not having airbags and whatnot so it's easy to miss updated trends. 'Course I'd just as soon avoid anything to do with electrical but I'm starting to come to term with the inevitable: At some point I'm gonna have to tackle all of the electrical issues going on with my car.

Comment

Saw a lot of fake Mugen seats on eBay. Are Sparco seats much cheaper than Mugen seats?

Comment

Originally posted by Storm84 View Post
                    Saw a lot of fake Mugen seats on eBay. Are Sparco seats much cheaper than Mugen seats?
                    I would say depending on the seat you will probably find Sparco's cheaper than a legit Mugen seat. I'm interested in Mugen but absolutely not from Ebay, unless they can be proven to be real Mugen MS-Z's by Recaro.

Comment

Working...
                    X