CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Old 10-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Question Changing Axles, Will I lose Fluid?

Hey Guys, I need to put in my new CV axles this week. I'm changing both sides, am I gonna lose any fluid out of my 5 Speed tranny?

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #2
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

sonikaccord seems to have made some friends!
You may lose a little. Work fast to make it as minimal as possible.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #3
yh61r
CB7tuner Member

yh61r is cool... so far.
Maybe a drop. That's it.
yh61r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:43 PM   #4
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d seems to have made some friends! fleetw00d seems to have made some friends!
I don't recall any coming out when I've changed either auto or manual axles, but how long has it been since the fluid in the transmission has been changed? Might be a good opportunity. I'd also recommend new axle seals as well while you've got everything apart.

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583

Working to relink my pictures. Please be patient. If there is one you particularly want to see, let me know.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:15 PM   #5
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
I don't recall any coming out when I've changed either auto or manual axles, but how long has it been since the fluid in the transmission has been changed? Might be a good opportunity. I'd also recommend new axle seals as well while you've got everything apart.
I just did my 5 speed swap about 3 months ago, so it's fresh. My transmission that I got from the yard had nice looking seals on it, so I left them.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:18 PM   #6
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
For the record, I did make a good little puddle underneath when I switched axles. It drips out pretty fast. I don't think it was enough to be a big deal or anything, but It definitely leaked, even when switching out the axles as fast as I could.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #7
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
A lot of that will have something to do with how the car is raised, too. If you have the car lifted in the front, or favoring a particular side, you are more prone to leaking fluid than otherwise.
If you see any threads or posts of mine whose picture links are broken (there are a lot), please send me a link to the thread. I will gladly fix them. I don't see it as a fruitless burden. This site has helped give me quite a bit of my drive and passion for cars, and fixing my picture links is the least I can do to give back.
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:39 PM   #8
F22Chris
CB7tuner Member

F22Chris is cool... so far.
just change the seals while you're doing to axles. Takes no time at all, and gives you the piece of mind. Both seals are like $10. And the OEM fluid is 10w30, so you're out like $10 as well on a fluid change. That's my .02

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: