Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

condensor and radiator fan turning on after engine shutdown

hello,
    i am a medium skilled mechanic on my ride. joining the cb7tuner.com family has helped me tremendously.

now, just going through my daily cb7 thread reading to up my game on accord knowledge. i came across the below thread about fans not working.
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=171056

when i read one of the responses from benjerman112, it alarmed me because that is happening to me currently. someone please give this stupid cb7 owner some clif notes and/or dumb it down from what JAMES MATTEU responded on how the fan works. do i have a problem that needs to be tended to?

here is what is happening to mine. when i kill my engine, the fan turns on immediately. from what i can hear of the general location of the fan, it is the left fan, which is the condensor. right? if not, the left fan. lol. i have noticed it turn on immediately, but i didn't pay no mind or show concern because temperature gauge is normal position; no rise. i have a F22A engine. radiator fluid is new. thermostat about a year old. i have never changed out a switch because i have never ran into this problem if it is a problem.

am i being paranoid?

if the smoking gun is the switch, should i stick with the OEM or do i buy one from napa or autozone, or Oreillys?

Comment

How long does the fan run? Wile none of mine tend to come on immediately after shutdown, the switches are still active with the engine shut off so that if the temperature rises (soak back), they can and will still turn the fans on after shut down to help cool things off. If it comes on immediately, it may be switching on at a lower temperature than normal which shouldn't be a problem. Can you tell if it coming on a lot while driving?
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

just leave it alone its doing fine ... don't be carried away or you will have to chase vaccuum leaks, air pockets in cooling system ... down pipe seals ... and yeah the devil might carry your mind into Headgasket adventure. When the coolant is cool the fan won't come on ....

The only thing you want to delve in ... is the relay ... far than that it will be wasted effort.

Comment

Automatic accords are designed to do that, originally there was even a sticker in the engine bay that warned that the fans may run even after shutting the engine down. It shouldn't really do this on a manual car, or at least not noticably.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Hopefully What i am about to say...lol...doesnt get me kicked off this site for pure stupidity.

Early morning before work, i popped my hood and check fluids. Come to find out, it was quite low, thus the fan coming on immediately after shut down bc it was running hot. I dumped fluid in it and went to work. Shut my ride off, ...no fan. Yeah. Lol.

I dont get it. I had a full tank with new fluid after timing belt and water pump was replaced. I dont think it wouldve gotten that low. I will have to see if there is a small leak somewhere.

Does radiator fluid burn off or evaporate that easy? I didnt check my radiator fluid bc my recent mx. How often do u all check fluids when u know there arent any leaks anywhere? Maybe i will have to be more cautious with my ride since its older. Anything can happen, right. Weekly checks it is!!!!

Comment

When you say you checked the fluid - just in the coolant overflow tank? That is not supposed to be full (max line is about half way up). Just filling that prior to driving will not add one drop of fluid to the operating system until the air in the system heats up, expands, opens the poppet in the radiator cap, vents through the tank; then when you shut off the engine and the remaining air in the cooling system cools and contracts, it will pull fluid in from the overflow tank. You need to check that the radiator itself is full (when cool).
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Im sorry i wasnt clear. I popped the radiator cap and added fluid. Lol. Sorry. After i added the fluid, the fan has not turned on. Next time i hear my fan, it will remind me something is going on with my cooling sys. But i will be checking my fluids every week. Thx everyone for ur inputs

Comment

Did you bleed the cooling system after you replaced the timing belt and water pump? If not, you probably had air pockets in the cooling system after you refilled it - meaning you wouldn't have actually filled it all the way with coolant.

Comment

i didn't change the timing belt. i hope my honda guru mechanic (Honda Heaven in Holden, MO) would have bled it. everyone goes to this guy even a friend of mine, which he was impressed with his skills too

like i said above, i am a medium skilled mechanic. when it comes down to the timing belt and all the other parts that need to be changed, i leave that to the professionals. i don't have that much time to be messing with that yet. when i retire, i will dive into that. lol

Comment

Working...
                    X