Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange steering rack/power steering pump issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange steering rack/power steering pump issue.

The Accord had set for approximately a couple months when I started it up yesterday evening. Upon moving the vehicle forward the steering wheel does the strangest thing, it starting turning to the left all on it's own and with some force I might add. Of course I immediately stop the car once this happens but the wheel continues to turn to the left until it cannot go any further. When I tried to straighten the steering wheel out I noticed it wanted to go back to full left and took quite a bit of force to overcome. I shut the car off and checked the PSF level which was full and upon inspecting the system I could not find anything I thought to be the culprit.

I started the vehicle once more and it went back to normal. I let it sit for a few minutes before taking it for a quick drive. As soon as I pull out on the road it bumps twice gently to the left then goes full out and tries to go to full left again which I had no choice but to over power it to get it back home. It never stopped during the period in which I was taking it back home. But once I shut it off and started it again it quit.

I have never had this issue before nor have I ever heard of anything similar. The power steering system is really pretty simple but I would still like to know what went wrong. This could really be pretty dangerous to an unsuspecting driver or a driver who lacks the strength to over power whatever is going on. It's very surprising the strength it has when it does this.

That sounds like it could be really scary if you were driving down the road and it happened to you with out warning.
    Are you planning on replacing the pump or just deleting the power steering?
    After you take it off tear it apart and post picks of your findings.

All of a sudden deleting the power steering doesn't seem like such a bad idea.
    CB7TUNER.com
    Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

It sure is odd. I don't know the steering hydraulics system in great detail but I do have a general understanding of how it operates. I just don't understand what could be worn, damaged or whatever is wrong to cause this. I would imagine it's an issue with the rack but it's so bizarre that I'm questioning everything at this point. I've never seen anything like it. And I sure can't drive it like it is.

Comment

That is strange.

I remember you mentioning awhile back you'd put in a re-man rack, is this the one? Is it still warrantied?

It sounds like a stuck control valve to me.

Comment

Thats crazy man, glad nothing bad happened out of it. Maybe some valving just got gummed up from sitting so long. My guess is enough use to get the juices all flowing again and itll go away

Comment

I totally forgot about replacing the rack until you reminded me Flip-Eye. But yeah, it does have a remaned rack. And it has a lifetime warranty as well (most do).

That's kinda what I was thinking Erik. I ran it for 40 mins this morning and every so often it still does it. I figure I'm going to play with it a little more before getting my hands dirty. I have a couple power steering pumps I can swap and I'll see about getting another rack under warranty.

I'm glad the problem appeared as it did too. Because when it does it it's damn near stronger than I am. What's even more odd is I tried helping it turn to the left just to see what would happen and it want's to go it's own speed. I cannot even make it turn to the left faster when it does it without trying pretty hard.

Comment

I got it on the lift tonight and inspected a few things briefly. Just got done actually. Turning the wheels from one direction to the other by hand I noticed an internal bind and a clunk in the rack. Once I pushed it past the slight bind then it would produce the clunk. It's on the driver side and I can also put my hand on the rack near the steering column and feel where it's coming from. Inner tie rods are good, I cut the boots off or what what left of them anyways and inspected their condition.

I will update here in a day or two when I have time to get back to my shop. Should be interesting to find out what's fubar on the inside of that rack.

Comment

Sounds like one of the seals blew out so it always wants to put pressure to one side of the rack.
                wat?

Comment

Something out of the ordinary I'll tell you that.

Comment

I am no expert but this would definitely be the gear box components. Other steering racks have hoses which run to one side or the other and push the fluid into these areas. We have a steering box component which accepts the PS fluid and uses spools and valve controls to control movements of the rack.
                    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...BOX+COMPONENTS

Comment

[QUOTE=H311RA151N;3228307]I totally forgot about replacing the rack until you reminded me Flip-Eye. But yeah, it does have a remaned rack. And it has a lifetime warranty as well (most do).

You know you spend too much time of this forum when your reminding other owners of what they've changed on their car, lol.

Comment

I'm having some issues with the business not wanting to warranty the rack at the moment. Which has a warranty that I of course have done nothing to void. The rack was purchased in June 2014 IIRC and installed in November 2014.

I just talked to them on the phone and they won't even discuss replacing it. I got to the point where they said they would send me one after I paid for it and upon them receiving it they will inspect and and see if they will warranty it out or not and refund my money. That method isn't uncommon but after our discussion before that I don't trust them to keep their word. So I'm debating on what to do as for another rack ATM.

Comment

I've had enough time to think about what I want to do and since the issue at hand is pretty serious I'm going to go the most trusted route I can. (Not OEM as that would run me $880 ) As for the company that remanufactured the rack I won't name any names or say anything bad about them because there is really no one at fault and no crystal ball to say what would happen if I got another rack from them or even what went wrong with the rack that's in the car now.

Since I got a bit of a shady feeling today on the phone with one company it makes me want to do business with our trusty friends over at RockAuto.com.

So, those of you following this thread, the question is which rack? Personally I'm lazy and I don't particularly like replacing steering racks. I only recognize two of the four brands RockAuto carries and one of them I don't care for which is A1 Cardone. So that leaves AAE, ATSCO & AC Delco.

Comment

That wasn't AutoZone giving you issues, was it?

Their parts aren't the best quality, but I've never had any issues taking something back under warranty.
                            MRT
                            37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                            30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                            27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                            Originally posted by Tippey764
                            I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Naw it's a company out of Detroit. Autozone has been pretty good about taking parts back under warranty for me as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X