RyanD: 1986 BMW 325E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RyanD: 1986 BMW 325E

Just bought this today as a winter beater. My CB is getting to many miles on her and i want something else so i dont have to care as much. bought it for $300. She definitely needs TLC. all the trim is in the trunk and i will be getting that on shortly.
    Its got 200k on it and it runs pretty good.

Engine
    -stock
    m3 exhaust

Trans
    -auto

Interior
    -stock

Exterior
    -stock

Just brought it home. brother wasted no time making it a rally car

these rims destroy the car imo

Put all the trim back on. it looks pretty good now.

now i just have to get it smogged and registered
    Last edited by Jarrett; 11-10-2014, 04:05 PM.
    visit vgruk

fixed the pics and updated
    visit vgruk

Comment

Looks good man. That exhaust is pretty cool.

Comment

Nice. not sure what you mean by M3 exhaust as the E30 M3 was a 4-pot and the 325 is a 6. maybe the muffler? anyways, give it some love and it will give it right back. it's a little rough but take care of it and it'll be a ton'o'fun.

i love my E30. such awesome driver's cars. hopefully you don't beat it too badly. you got it for a steal so putting a little money into making it nicer would be wise.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Everyone has been telling me its worth keeping. So its no longer a beater
          visit vgruk

Comment

oh yeah...join R3V

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

thanks. now i get get some insight on how to fix some of the problems
              visit vgruk

Comment

so after doing some research on common problems the e30's have mine is showing none of them. i think it is a keeper. coming up im going to replace all the drive belts, spark plugs, and oil
                visit vgruk

Comment

DO THE TIMING BELT AND WATER PUMP RIGHT AWAY!

sorry for yelling but seriously, the timing belt should be the number one priority. BMW states they should be done every 60k and if you're not sure when it was done last you need to do it asap. They have a tendency to snap without warning and the baby-six M20 will munch up the valves and start breaking rockers when it happens. no bueno.

I'd recommend doing the head-gasket as well to ensure a long-life but that's up to you. at least get the belt done at a minimum. use a Continental Contitech timing belt and graf pump. They're OEM quality. If you're going to do the HG use a Goetze since it IS oem. don't use a victor reinz HG, they blow out and leak more often than not. And remember, if the head comes off you need new head bolts. i used Victor Reinz bolts cuz they're fine for regular duty but you can get all kinds of performance bolts or ARP head studs if you plan on boosting or stroking it.

When you do plugs don't get any of those bullshit plugs that have some sort of gimmick like diamond-fire or v-power platinum or some shit...it's just BS and they don't work well. Use the copper Bosch W8LCR or NGK BPR5ES. Some prefer NGK some Bosch, just depends on who you ask. I went with Bosch since it's the OEM plug and i haven't had any issues. I might try the NGK next time since i hear good things...

For oil use Castrol GTX conventional 20-50w in the summer and 10-40w in the winter. Use a zinc additive cuz castrol's zinc levels have gone down recently and the cam NEEDS zinc or it'll get chewed up pretty badly. There are tons of oils that work just as well, this is just my recommendation.

Anyways, hope that helps. Keep surfing R3V, it's awesome and full of great info.
                  Last edited by islandhopper; 11-12-2014, 02:18 AM.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

yea ill have a shop do that asap
                    visit vgruk

Comment

Nice pickup and at an excellent price.

But in addition to what islandhopper said, an auto transmission fluid change would be a great idea. I don't know if this applies to M20s but for the M50 there are not a lot of auto cars past 150K while the manuals you can see them at 250k+. Something to do with BMW's marketing scheme of life time fill for the trans fluid, so no one ever changed the fluid.
                      Last edited by XCRN; 11-12-2014, 12:07 PM.
                      Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
                        Nice pickup and at an excellent price.

But in addition to what islandhopper said, an auto transmission fluid change would be a great idea. I don't know if this applies to M20s but for the M50 there are not a lot of auto cars past 150K while the manuals you can see them at 250k+. Something to do with BMW's marketing scheme of life time fill for the trans fluid, so no one ever changed the fluid.
                        Already got that done. Saturday im going to do an oil change and hopefully drive it to work sunday.
                        visit vgruk

Comment

Put a new thermostat in her today along with all new belts. Hopefully my mpg improves since it wont be in open loop mode and it will be nice to have heat on the way to work
                          visit vgruk

Comment

also when i pulled the old thermo out it fell apart in my hand
                            visit vgruk

Comment

Yeah I would never abuse an E30, they're becoming too rare and desirable to abuse.

This is my current under taking.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=331431

Comment

Working...
                              X