XCRN : 1995 BMW 525i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XCRN : 1995 BMW 525i

Well I got a replacement for the CB, probably will get another after some time but for now this will serve as my daily.

Below will be a timeline of the progress.

March, 2015

September, 2014

May, 2014 (When purchased)

Its a 1995 E34 with a slush box for now but it was cheap and great body, phenomenal paint, no rust, and the best part 160K miles.

The main issue as to why it is so cheap is the transmission goes into limp mode sporadically (something electrical is wrong), which I do plan to do a manual swap after awhile, but if I can fix the problem cheaply it will at least buy me some time to find a great bargain on the manual parts needed. Another little thing that will be annoying is no real cup holder. The HELL?!

Here are some of the pictures from the craigslist ad.

Here is some more current pictures of the work so far.

Engine and Drivetrain
    • M50B25TU Single VANOS
    • M52 Tubular Steel Exhaust Manifolds
    • ZF Manual Swap
    • 3.23 LSD
    • Single Mass Flywheel Conversion

Suspension and Brakes
    • Brembo Front Rotors
    • Centric C-TEK Rear Rotors
    • Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    • Caliper Rebuild All Corners
    • Polyurethane Rear Sway Bushings

Exterior
    • E60 Style 138 Wheels
    • Repainted Trim
    • Red Clear Taillights
    • Clear Corners
    • Clear Fender Lights
    • Painted Bumper Trim Lights
    • DIY Stealth Bulbs

Interior
    • Factory Parchment (Tan)
    • Carpet Dyed Black
    • Black Dashboard
    • Black Top Door Panels
    • Black Suede Rear Deck
    • Cheap Generic Floor Mats (Black)
    • Black Leather/Vinyl Shift Plate
    • Black Suede Pillar Trim
    • Black Suede Headliner
    • LED Lights
    • E32 Rear Headrests
    • E32 Rear Reading Lights
    • E32 Rear Cigarette Lighter
    • E32 Black Leather Shift Handle
    • Custom Leather Wrapped Granny Handles

Things That Need Fix'n (Items Fixed)
    • All the Power Windows
    • Loose Fitting Wood Trim
    • Brakes All Around
    • Hood Props
    • Driver Door Panel Falling Off
    • Glove Box
    • A/C System
    • Center Vent Not Sitting Flush
    • Fast Battery Drainage
    • Sunroof
    • Seat Twist
    • Blower Motor
    • Fog Lights
    • Interior Lights
    • Power Mirrors
    • Gas Lid Hinge
    • Shrunken Weather Trim
    • Torn Rear Deck
    • Steering Wheel
    • Driver High Beam
    • Paint Issues
    • Rust Forming On Trunk Lid
    • Front Passenger Door Handle Sticks Open
    • Exterior Trim Fits Loose
    • It's An Auto

Manual Swap Progress (Items Completed)
    • Acquire Transmission
    • Acquire Manual Drivetrain
    • Acquire Manual Pedal Cluster
    • Acquire Clutch/Flywheel
    • Acquire Transmission/Differential Seals
    • Transmission Seals
    • Differential Seals
    • Remove Auto Drivetrain
    • Remove Auto Transmission
    • Hook-up Clutch Hydraulic System
    • Reverse Light Wiring
    • Switch To Manual Relays and Misc Wiring
    • Install Manual Pedal Cluster
    • Shifter Rebuild
    • Install Differential
    • Install Clutch/Flywheel
    • Install Drive Shaft
    • Install Transmission
    • Install Shifter Linkage

Future Plans
    • S50 Camshafts
    • 3.1L High Comp "Stroker"
    • Volvo Electric Fan
    • Whiter Headlights, Foglights, Highbeams
    • M5 or M-Sport Front Bumper
    • Cup Holder Retrofit
    • AUX Input Retrofit
    • Dr. Vanos Stage 2 VANOS Unit
    • 3.46 LSD Differential
    • M-Sport 3 Spoke Steering Wheel
    • Euro Bumper Trim
    Last edited by XCRN; 11-01-2015, 10:58 PM.
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

looks pretty nice, especially at that price.
    MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
    1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Comment

Thanks! That is why I dealt with the headache of doing the transaction from 2000 miles away, worth it and all I have of it are photos right now. This is going to suck for the next month having to wait.

Comment

Nice.

My next bimmer is either going to be an E34 or an E21...leaning towards E34 540i though. They look gorgeous and they handle nicely for a large car.

That's a helluva deal. Hope it works out for you.

edit: my E30 doesn't have a cup holder either. BMW's reason was that the driver should focus on driving not drinking. Makes sense i guess but it is annoying...
        Last edited by islandhopper; 06-16-2014, 12:38 AM.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Got some pictures my Aunt sent me. Does look like more work than I thought but still worth the price I spent on it.

Not sure what this is a picture of but she said near the tail pipe.

Though it has its issues the interior is amazing! Just a bit dirty.

Comment

Nice! The gas door hinge breaking is pretty common. Just the plastic hinge that becomes brittle and breaks over time. You can get the passenger side airbag cover back into place with a little heat from a heat gun.

Look out for rust under the sideskirts where the sunroof drains are.

Looks really clean. Like the color!

Comment

Did not know that, trying to find all of the common rust points and I am going to do like I did with the CB and use a lot of the VHT Epoxy paint. I am actually considering getting a pint or 2 of rust prevention paint and will just brush it on.

Also throwing around ideas of retrofitting a cup holder into the phone pocket area and make it look as if it was built into the car.

Comment

I found this in one of the messages my aunt sent me.

FREE DR. PEPPER!!!!!!

This is turning out to be a great investment so far, I still have my concerns over the rust that is not seen.

Comment

Hey I have the cover for the front license plate it says BMW let me know if you want it.

Beautiful car btw

Comment

I will send you a PM around the time I get there. I need to assess top priorities first.

Comment

Cool and GL! I have a neighbor kid around here with like a 89 525i stick shift has me wanting the dang thing BAD, but I cannot believe how well the wood and leather have held up BMW must not have cheaped out there. Cars seem nice and I always loved the M5 models soooo much
                      " Insert funny quote here "

Comment

Look what showed up at my door step in WA. Shit I forgot to change address to OH. More luggage for me to carry, great.

At least they look to be good quality.

I also found a good donor car for the manual swap in Hebron Kentucky about an hour and a half long drive from Dayton so hopefully in a month from now it is still there.
                        Last edited by XCRN; 06-26-2014, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Been doing more reading and I might just be keeping the auto longer than I wish. Not saying the 5 speed swap will be difficult but fixing the auto might be easier than I thought. It is likely the transmission output speed sensor, and I always thought that this item was inside the transmission but instead it is just on top near the rear in a cramped but accessible area. Oh well, if it is just this I can wait a bit for the right deal.

11 more days until I finally get to see her in person! The last month I have been dreaming BMW.

Comment

I used to own a 520i E34 when i was younger, it is a decent car, sucky mpg and slow as hell but the drive is nice and comfy. It was a manual 5 speed and i always wanted an Auto. but finding an auto here in Denmark is just as hard as finding a manual in the states.

In my world, they are supposed to be driven with an automatic, the E34 is a real cruiser. Maybe if it was a 540, i'd consider the manual. But by no means could i afford the V8 with the gasprices here in Denmark, they are insane!!!
                            Last edited by CB7Denmark; 07-16-2014, 05:11 AM.
                            Check out my MRT, i'd love some constructive criticism ---> http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=204165 PICTURES FROM 2014! DOES NOT REPRESENT CURRENT STATE

Comment

Finally got moved in and most of my stuff in organized. Even more than I thought is needed, driver window does not work at all and the rest only go down but not up, the hydraulic hood props barely work and will not keep the hood up on a slight incline, driver side door panel is falling off, the front tires look like the are track slicks but they are not, passenger door handle likes to stay open and prevent closing of the door, oil don't look to pretty at a quick glance, lots of fluids low (not sure if they are leaking though), the actual mileage is 190,000 on the odometer and not the 160,000 I was told, enough paint blemishes to annoy me (black paint job in the future), and I found 5 big ass fucking wolf spiders inside the car and I am sure there is more.

Despite all that I am still happy for the price I got it at.

Comment

Working...
                              X