Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XCRN : 1990 Accord EX

Sold as of June 2014.

My ride, a 1990 Accord EX coupe with M/T from Washington State, and this is my journal recording my progress and thoughts on the project.

Below is a brief time line starting from recent to the beginning and will hopefully continue to expand.

April, 2014

October, 2013

July, 2013

January, 2013

ENGINE
    • AEM SRI
    • Re-manufactured Head
    • New Valve-train (OEM Spec)
    • Radiator & Hoses
    • M2S4 Swap
    • New Exedy Clutch
    • Maintenance & Cleaning (Best bang for the buck)
    • A/C Delete
    • More Grounding Points
    • Minor Wire Tuck

SUSPENSION
    • 17" Motegi MR12 Wheels
    • Champiro UHP1 Tires 205/45R17 (Tire Wheel Combo ~39lbs)
    • Koni S.trt Struts
    • Vogtland Springs 1.6"
    • Acura CL ROH Knuckles
    • Acura 2.3 CL Rotors
    • Acura 3.0 CL Rear Suspension (Awaiting Install)

EXTERIOR
    • Repainted Trim
    • Black Painted Factory Grill
    • Black Housed Head Lights
    • Antenna Delete
    • White Headlights (4500K?)
    • Clear Corners (LED Lights)
    • 92-93 Front Bumper (90-91 Headlight & Grill)
    • Clear Bumper Lights (LED Lights)
    • Removed Pinstripe
    • Painted Wheel Well and Suspension Components (Fronts only for now)

INTERIOR (Going to redo eventually.)
    • Rattle Can Black/Grey Interior (Was tan.)
    • Custom Window Antenna (Needs refinement.)
    • Cheap Generic Floor Mats
    • Car Seat Covers
    • Ebay Shift Knob
    • Blindingly Bright LEDs
    • 90-91 Prelude Si Steering Wheel

PLANS
    • Legend Dual Piston Calipers
    • H22A or H23A VTEC
    • Entire Exhaust System (Still deciding on brands)
    • Suspension Replacement and Reinforcement
    • Rear Disc Conversion (Got the parts)
    • High Compression Pistons
    • Stronger Connecting Rods
    • AEM Fuel Rail
    • Strut Tower Braces (Front and Rear)
    • Limited Slip Differential (M2S4 Drop-in)
    • Light Weight Pulleys
    • Thick Sway Bars
    • Polyurethane Mounts
    • Smaller Radiator Fans
    • Manual Steering Rack
    • Touch-up Paint Job (Maybe)
    • Many Small Things

I recently purchased this car in January and have been slowly building onto it, though not much has gone into it so far, I have been doing a lot of basic maintenance, such as random gaskets, belts, and fluid changes (Have not done brake fluid yet but have not needed to). Bought it at 201,000 miles and I am at about 205 now. I have had problems with the previous head and I ended up paying more than expected both money and time due to unforeseen circumstances, but it is healthy now and pulling strong.

After I pulled the head. Not too clean but at 200K miles, I was not expecting much.

Not too pretty in the cylinders either. Pistons were in decent condition so I left them in, just cleaned out all of the gunk.

This is a picture after one day of cleaning, I have done more since then, but not too much, de-greasing of some parts. Still is too dirty for me and I want to eventual do a wire tuck

Update: Engine bay as of April, 2014.

From this:

To this:

Snapped some photos since Seattle has been lucky enough to have sun this past month and 80 degree weather. Not a common occurrence.

The wheels are Motegie MR12. I got them out of a junk yard for $200 and had scratches and curb rash all around and on all 4 wheels so I did my best to fix and repaint them and they all turned out nice. There is still evidence of the damage that used to be but they are good enough for me.

This was when my baby was limping and the camshaft snapped shortly after, also I had 3 different tires on there at the time I took this photo. The two in the front were matching but the two in the rear were old tires that worked for what I needed since the someone I think slashed them beyond repair, but they were smaller than the front and one of the tires were wider. surprisingly stable and I have been riding like that until I replaced all four tires. Oddly enough what caused me to replace those was that one of the good tires went bad, not the junkyard tires.

This is my project and I want something at the end that is decently competitive in autocross, comfortable enough to be a daily commuter, and reliable enough to not have a car payment for awhile.

Update: I am now planning to do an H23 swap with most components rebuilt.
    Update: Screw it! I'm going balls to the wall H22!
    Last edited by XCRN; 06-21-2014, 06:07 PM.
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

clean start, love the rims. keep it up

KEEP IT NICE, NOT RICE

Comment

Thanks I was a bit surprised by the paint. Held up well for 23 years, though has a "bitchen" looking spider cracking on the bumper.

Comment

Sweet another Washingtonian member Looks like you have a pretty clean car to start out with. I also see that your future plans list has grown significantly since the last time I looked lol

Comment

Well first time around had to go pick up someone from the airport, so I just posted the list as is and came back to redo it. Nice to see other Seatlites here.

Comment

This is the pic of the "bitchen" spider cracking on the bumper. Looks like it would make a great tramp stamp.
            Last edited by XCRN; 08-16-2013, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Very clean CB7. Nice work on the engine rebuild. BTW, that bumper spider crack is what gives your car character and attitude. Is like a birth mark. Keep up the good work.

Comment

It does add personality. I do want to repaint the bumper because it has faded but it will be hard to tape up the crack. I will keep it at all costs.

Comment

Got some engine pictures.

Still too many hoses and wires. It brings out the inner OCD in me.

It has been playing with me recently. Every time I come back to the car after school, I see a small bit of oil on the asphalt. When I get home, I put paper towels underneath to track the source, but every morning nothing on the paper. It is trying to get into my head, but it does not know how crazy I am.

Comment

Very clean engine compartment. I'm a clean freak when it comes to keeping an engine very clean. Just like my CB7's engine, I could eat right from it.

Comment

Don't worry too much about the tuck yet, that will be easier after your swap is done. If you run into any issues they will be easier to troubleshoot now. After your swap is running smooth, take your time on the tuck, its pretty straightforward. You will see what wires need to be extended, then tape and put wireloom over everything. I took a day on each side, 8-10 hours each. You might be able to do it in much less, but if you mess up something it would take much longer to fix later.

I will be keeping up with your progress, good luck on the swap, although I personally would go f22b dohc or h23a vtec.
                      My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

So if you have not seen my H23 swap thread yet I will have the engine on Friday and the prep work begins.

Comment

Got the engine and it is in pretty decent shape though needs a hell of a lot of cleaning on the outside. In sides are not too awful, better than my F22 when it comes to the cylinders. Currently split into transmission, block, and head. Some how did all this with no air or power tools. I might postpone install day to build the head a bit.

Comment

Update with the H23. Slowly I am disassembling everything where I will need to replace something like bolts or gaskets and all I have left to do is oil pump and water pump to get the seals.

Comment

Started doing interior work. Going from tan to black and grey.

Comment

Working...
                              X