Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Can cb7s get 40ish mpg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can cb7s get 40ish mpg?

I currently get 33 MPG w my stock engine. Had my timing belt and all other required time change items recently done.

If high 30 or low to high 40 MPG is possible, how does one do it, specifically for a stock engine? I understand the basic mx practice like changing or adjust at the appropriate time intervals to get good MPG
    Spark plugs and wires
    Air filter...i dont worry abt that bc i have a KN filter
    Tire pressure
    Coasting to a stop
    Etc

If there are SECRET SQUIRREL tricks from the experienced cb7 veterans, i would like to know. I love me some MPG.

Tire pressure and compound will play a role for sure. Harder tire compounds provide less rolling resistance. Tire width also plays a part. The skinnier the tire, the less resistance it will provide (just don't go nuts... stay within safe limits! Less tire also means less control.)
    Wheel/tire weight can also have an impact. The lighter the better. You'd also do best to have a wheel that is closed, rather than something with open spokes. A wheel with a broad face is more aerodynamic. Take a look at the wheels on the original Insight, or the early Civic Hybrid. Closed wheels. Small wheels. INSANELY lightweight wheels. Unfortunately, those wheels are not an option on CBs.

Make sure your brake components, front and rear, are in perfect working order. A dragging caliper will cost mpg.

I've read that extended side skirts will improve aerodynamics more than anything else. I haven't tested this, or seen it tested on a CB7, however. Trucks do it, though. I'm sure you've noticed modern trailers with panels under the trailer itself, between the rear wheels of the trailer and the rear wheels of the truck. That's for improved fuel economy.

Weight reduction helps. Eliminate anything you don't need. If you're really serious, yank your passenger seat, as that's pretty heavy. The less your car weighs, the less effort it takes to move it. Don't forget about the driver! If you're chunky... go on a diet.

Obviously a good tune up is absolutely necessary.

An ECU tune to trim the fuel mixture a bit (within safe limits) can also gain a few MPG (though the PT3 and PT6 ECUs are pretty good from the factory.)

40 might be pushing it, aside from pure highway mileage... but I'm sure it's possible with enough care. Driving habits, weather, and terrain also play a role. A light foot on a cool, dry day, on perfectly flat roads will yield the best mpg. Hills, hot or wet weather, and aggressive driving will cause it to go down.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply deevergote but now u got me thinking about my brake caliper. When i changed my brake pads, i didnt really adjust anything. Was i suppose to? I will researching about that this afternoon. All in all thanks deevergote

Comment

I used to get around 400 miles per tank with mine back in the day (93 SE sedan all stock) However, the majority of that was interstate driving about 100 miles a day. Speed limit was lower then so I wasn't driving as fast, and I was using premium gas since it was cheap.

I drive '91 SE stock sedan daily now, and the most I've gotten so far is about 390 before the light comes on. That's just going back and forth to work which is about 75&#37; interstate and driving between 65-75mph. If I do more in town driving, then I get between 350-375 miles per tank.
        Last edited by SEgirl; 10-29-2016, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SEgirl View Post
          I used to get around 400mg with mine back in the day (SE sedan all stock) However, the majority of that was interstate driving about 100 miles a day. Speed limit was lower then so I wasn't driving as fast, and I was using premium gas since it was cheap.

I drive '91 SE stock sedan daily now, and the most I've gotten so far is about 390 before the light comes on. That's just going back and forth to work which is about 75% interstate and driving between 65-75mph. If I do more in town driving, then I get between 350-375mpg.
          SEgirl
          Thanks. From what you said and deevergote said, i believe i am doing good

Comment

Driven fairly conservatively, I got 30mpg with my lightly modified H22A.

Comment

Originally posted by ca93accord View Post
              SEgirl
              Thanks. From what you said and deevergote said, i believe i am doing good
              I think the most I ever got was around 36mpg. I'd say you're not too bad.

Comment

My family had a 93 Accord DX bought new. It would easily get 35 mpg at 70 MPH with the automatic transmission.

The 92 EX and 93 EX I've owned recently wouldn't go above the low 30's, higher mileage and more aggressively geared manual transmission are the likely culprits. With the H23A1 and short ratio M2S4 transmission I'm averaging around 25 mpg city/highway mix.

40 mpg is probably not realistic at safe driving speeds.
                1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
                VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
                NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
                CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

My coupe f20z1 22mpg or 11 liters per 100km.I don't know how but it's too high fuel consuption.Maybe o2 sensor?

Comment

Most i ever got was 32MPG with a coupe i had. These cars are so old now that you'll never get 40MPG due to the friction of all the *old* moving parts.

Between aero dynamics (shape of the car, rubber seals for doors/windows, front end efficiency, wheels, etc.), the friction of moving parts (axles, engine parts, etc.), and the technology used in the engine (port flow, injector locations, other fuel saving technology), and the weight of the car, I just can't see you reaching 40MPG.

It would be interesting to have someone tape up the car, use skinny tires, new axles and fresh oil change, etc to see how many MPG they can get.

Comment

How much cost 1 gallon?here in croatia (europe) 1 liter of eurosuper 95 cost 1.3USD.

Comment

Depending on if you want to spend money on tuning an ECU you could get better mpg from that. I currently get right around 30mpg with my H22A and that's with some spirited driving mixed in every now and then.... I'm sure if I grannied it I would get 30+ mpg. but I give all the credit to my tuner, since he tuned my car for the best economy by speed not rpm.... aka 75mph I get the best possible fuel economy.

If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving is not for you.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolex View Post
                          How much cost 1 gallon?here in croatia (europe) 1 liter of eurosuper 95 cost 1.3USD.
                          Wow. That's expensive!

I live in New Jersey, which has some of the lowest prices (though we just got a $0.23/gallon tax increase last week... we're not happy about it.) I just paid $2.65/gallon for 92 octane (your eurosuper 95 is equivalent to 91 octane in the US.) I just filled my car with 17 gallons (my 2006 Cadillac CTS-V), which cost me about $45. At your prices, that would have cost me about $175!
                          I would never be able to drive my 15mpg Cadillac at those prices!

Comment

It's very expensive,yes!lot's of people installing gas in cars because the price of one liter is 0.50$.
                            First to do is to clean injectors and check o2 sensor and eventually replace with new one,timing and fuel pressure

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                              Most i ever got was 32MPG with a coupe i had. These cars are so old now that you'll never get 40MPG due to the friction of all the *old* moving parts.

Between aero dynamics (shape of the car, rubber seals for doors/windows, front end efficiency, wheels, etc.), the friction of moving parts (axles, engine parts, etc.), and the technology used in the engine (port flow, injector locations, other fuel saving technology), and the weight of the car, I just can't see you reaching 40MPG.

It would be interesting to have someone tape up the car, use skinny tires, new axles and fresh oil change, etc to see how many MPG they can get.
                              I've owned several CB7s and never once got close to 40mpg no matter what I tried. 35mpg was about the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X