Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

High Flow Cat Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Flow Cat Question

Hi all.

I'm thinking about upgrading my exhaust system using the money I've gotten from selling some crap, so I'm just looking for advice here.

First off, I'm not going to build the F, so I'm just going to throw a Megan header on it. I've installed one and they seemed to be really decent, and I've definitely heard they're good for the money, and under 100 for one will definitely suit me well. I'm sure I"ll notice a difference vs. my standard A1 manifold.

My question lies in the cat. converter.

I saw this on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

It claims to be a high flow cat, but I don't think it's an actual test pipe. My cat's dead anyways, so I think I'm going to replace it, and since I've already had the bolts off when I was doing my exhaust before it should be easier.

I currently have a WS2 system on it, with 60 mm piping. That cat is supposed 60 mm piping as well.

I have a few questions tho.

1) Is that a real cat. converter or just a test pipe?
    2) Will I pass emissions with it in?
    3) Will it make my exhaust sound like piss?
    4) Does it contain the meaning of life?

I did search, and couldn't find info on any OBX products cat wise. Number 2 really hinges on the answer to number 1. Number 3 is more subjective because I know on a custom system a high flow cat can mess with the sound, but I'm thinking that with a full resonated cat back that's already quiet, I might fare better.

I'm well aware that its not going to give me anything HP wise, but I figure I might as well replace my cat while I'm doing the header to give myself a complete system. Plus if/when I H, I can sell the header anyways.

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Thats just pretty much a resonator and no you wont pass emmisions with it. I have a Catco high flow 2.25" I/O. My whole system is a OBX S.S. header, Catco HF cat, 2.25" resonator, 2.25" piping cat back, OBX universial. It sounds good when warm but it does this weird phhzzinngg sound for a while in the morning. Oh yeah i did pass emisions with that cat

My Ride
    myspace

Comment

those so-called "high flow" cats from OBX are just test pipes. sure its a free-flow cat, but i doubt it will pass emissions. also, they're known to make your exhausts sound raspy and loud..and i doubt you'd want that on your WS2. as mentioned, catco has emission legal high-flow cats; on my setup, i'm using a high-flow cat(2.25 in/2.25out) from Random Technology which i recommend.
      5.6L V8 32V DOHC
      JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Hmmm, thanks for all the info.

I guess I'll go deal with my crap cat converter as is until I can save up for a real one. I guess the allure to hoping that was real was the flanges.

I don't want a welded on cat, and those nicer ones get very pricey very fast.

Comment

you can get a universal carsound cat and have it flanged... no need to weld on. i heard somewhere that theyre actually not legal... theyre real cats, but maybe they flow a little too well, i dont know. either way, i passed smog with one, and im in CA, so i know theyre good.

Comment

how much was your carsound cat...and were do u get it?
            [deevergote]" It's not the car that makes the ricer... it's the ricer that ruins the car!"

Comment

i ebay'd it for $50 shipped.

Comment

I got my carsound for free with my Magnaflow cat-back. So many places sell the universal ones without flanges. But I have yet to find a shop that will do that for me at a decent price.
                Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
                -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
                MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

I am running the WS2 with a Random High Flow Cat. Sounds great. I say spend the money on a better one. The cheap ones you will just be replacing again sooner.
                  Anything is possible when you don't know what your talking about............

Comment

Whoa, I forgot about this thread. Thank you for all the information guys. I received an email reply from the vendor and he informed me it was just a test pipe.

I guess I'll have to save up to invest in a flanged cat. It's just frustrating to pay 150+ for a flanged high flow. The place near me does high flows for 175 installed, and they use Carsound ones, but I highly doubt that its a flanged unit.

Comment

You can get the flanged carsound for like ~$100. How did that Megan header fit? I'll be getting one soon.
                      Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
                      -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
                      MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

Working...
                      X