Crossover advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossover advice

Seeing as though a pretty regular drive is needed for my moms health from Atlanta to Houston, we were thinking of getting a crossover so she can sleep in the back, be comfortable, and at the same time have a newer more reliable car.

We've narrowed it down to these:

1) Mazda CX-5
    http://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx-5

We are leaning more towards this one. It's the only one in the budget that offers a manual transmission. That, and it simply looks better than the others with the highest reviews. The transmission is a huge plus.

2) Toyota RAV4
    http://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/rav4

We actually rented this exact car, and is what got us thinking. We would spend roughly 8,500 a year on plane tickets for the treatments, and will be doing this for many years to come.

There is no manual offered with the Yota, and I personally think it's stupid ugly. We've looked into others, but these stood out more than others due to MPG & customer reviews.

What do you guys think? I know it's my money and choice in the end, but if any first hand experience is out there it's welcomed. I also don't have money for a Jeep/Benz nor do I want an LS2 Saab.

I have a CX-5 and love it. We have the AWD Touring with the Bose/Moonroof package. I'd be happy to answer any questions. The only cons so fast is that it is a bit louder than I expected when you first start it but always having loud cars it didn't bother me. The rear visibility isn't awesome but none of them are.

We cross-shopped the RAV4, CR-V and Forester and thought the Mazda was the best for us. My Mom has a 2015 Forester and while it's perfect for her it didn't work for us. The CR-V was very nice, but a bit minivan. The RAV did absolutely nothing for us, as we found it to be an appliance on wheels.

I couldn't deal with the styling of the RAV. It did everything well but just didn't inspire us. A good friend just bought one and loves it. It was cheaper than our Mazda and had all the same features. I summed it up as the girl you know who is smart funny and attractive and would make a great girlfriend but just doesn't appeal to you for some reason you can't quite describe.

You can't go wrong with either.

Comment

How's the suspension in the back and road noise for the Mazda?

I agree on the RAV4. It felt like a huge bundle of soft plastics.. Like a toy really, but in a bad way. It looks like a person who's mouth is too close to their eyes.. Or a fish that didn't quite get to be a fish.

We're going to go car shopping and test drive them soon. Does the back seat fold down to allow somebody to sleep in there if needed?

Comment

What do you mean by suspension in the back?

Road noise is a non-issue. It's quieter than the Forester. They did a bunch of work quieting it down I guess as the generation wore on. The engine growls a bit just off idle but it isn't bad.

The seats in back are 40/20/40. You have to pull the headrests and they don't fold fully flat like in the CR-V. From what I've read it will fit two car seats easily but don't do three because of the split.

Comment

Usually spring rates are much stiffer in the back to compensate for cargo and what not. If we hit a bump, will her head hit the roof kinda thing? I just want her to be able to sleep cause chemo takes it out of her.

That good about the road noise. We looked into Subarus and the HRV. The forester didn't quite cut it, the outback was too small, and the HRV was too smal as well. Are there any cars I'm missing in the 20-25k range?

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
            Usually spring rates are much stiffer in the back to compensate for cargo and what not. If we hit a bump, will her head hit the roof kinda thing? I just want her to be able to sleep cause chemo takes it out of her.

That good about the road noise. We looked into Subarus and the HRV. The forester didn't quite cut it, the outback was too small, and the HRV was too smal as well. Are there any cars I'm missing in the 20-25k range?
            Honestly I don't know. It's tauter than some for sure but I wouldn't think bouncy. It's more a driver's CUV than anything honestly.

Might check out a CR-V if you want something less sporty.

Comment

For the range your looking you could always look at the first gen Pilot's which are a bit smaller than the second gen. Also I can't comment much on the first gen's but we love our second gen Pilot. It is a bit bigger than all the options you are looking at but is AWD, get's decent milage for the J35Z4. On our long trips to Utah and California from Montana it gets around 24-26 mpg. The back suspension isn't too stiff even when empty. It has 3 rows but the back 2 fold down totally flat to have a huge flat area in the back, without the removal of the headrests, just pull a level and the seats fold down and lock. For the price range you are looking at you can also get a '09-'10 Touring which is the fully loaded Navi and rear entertainment, which can use wireless headsets so the rear doesn't interfere with the driver listening to their own music or whatever. Two and a half years ago we got our '09 Pilot Touring with 108k miles for 24k with a so so warranty. In the long run we should have skipped the damn warranty but hind sight is 20/20. If you want to know anything else let me know.

I know it has the provisions for 2 new child seats in the middle row. I'm sure it has at least one in the 3rd row. But honestly we folded the 3rd row down when we got it, and I haven't ever raised it up again, so I can't say for sure.
              MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I haven't driven the Mazda, but I will say that I was VERY impressed with Mazda's interiors at the auto show last winter. IMO, Mazda is the brand to buy at the moment. The CR-V is still a very nice vehicle, and I agree with AW's assessment that it's a step down in sportiness, and perhaps a step up in luxuriousness. The Mazda would be my choice if I was in the market for such a thing. Probably over anything else, including the fancy German brands (ok, I might take a Macan over a CX-5... but otherwise... Mazda all the way!)

Comment

I'm pretty much sold on the Mazda now. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                    I'm pretty much sold on the Mazda now. Thanks guys.
                    Make sure you drive one first before you jump. My wife and I were dead set on the CR-V and the Mazda wasn't even on our radar until we drove one.

You may feel the same after your test drives.

Comment

I ain't sure what generation rav4 your looking into,but we had a 2000 rav4 that was just a baby at 80k and the trans started slipping Toyota had a huge recall on the Ecu's going bad and causing trans issues anyhow it was a huge pile of dung! I've never honestly had luck with Toyota from power train issues to rust on frames and body.

02 Crv
                      02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                      92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                      Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

My biological mom has gotten RAV4s since they came out. I've hated each one just as much as the last. They just feel so fake it bothers me. As soon as she paid one off, she would get the newest generation.

And of course l! I'm going to test drive them all except the Toyota due to already driving it.

I don't want to get something used. If it were my personal vehicle, sure, but this is mainly for them for lower traveling expenses. I would be more open to the Honda if they didn't stop putting manuals in their SUV's 10 years ago.

Comment

I don't know why, but I dig the 1st gen 3 door Rav4. It's just so tiny and quirky. Dunno if I'd ever want one (still not sure I'm secure enough in my manliness for that... and I want a Miata!) But it's still kinda neat.

Comment

Working...
                          X