Buying a car in the last year of the generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a car in the last year of the generation

I've heard that on here before. I'm not 100% who (toycar, Ralphie?), said it, but it's advice I've been giving out.

It's solid advice, but I've never been able to actually support it till now.
    Behold! The problems seem to follow exactly along generational lines.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/

I don't know if those are user based though. It is quite nifty how they organize it.
    Most problems for both fall off after 2000, but it's possible they just don't go back that far.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Damn that stinks, I would have imagined that the last year of the generation had the most refinement.
    1993 Accord LX Coupe 5spd

Comment

Originally posted by ssondubs View Post
      Damn that stinks, I would have imagined that the last year of the generation had the most refinement.
      Did you read otherwise? Thats exactly what geoff and that page concluded.

Comment

your best bet is mid-generation vehicles.

First year vehicles have problems to work out, and every year after, the manufacturer starts looking for ways to save money and build them cheaper. By the end of the life cycle, the model has lost refinement and gotten cheaper/poorer build quality.

Usually by mid-gen, they'll start to add a few bells and whistles here and there, or some special models, and then by the end they get phased out and the last year of the gen is typically rental car grade.

Comment

Who cares? That is what recalls are for.
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
            Who cares? That is what recalls are for.
            They are not talking about recalls, they dont issues recalls for things like this. Just imagine all the first gen honda cr-v head problems with valves going tight and burning valves, or all the 2nd gen acura tl transmission problems. Even the first year or two of the c6 corvette z06 the motors are ticking time bombs etc. If anything they might issue a service bulletin.

Comment

You also have to put in mind that some of the cause of these problems are from the users.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
              1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
              2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
              2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
              2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
              2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

I knew most of that stuff with the transmissions. Especially the 6th gen accord transmissions, as well as the 7th gens.

For brakes, id just go aftermarket. I hate OEM pads, they squeal on all the new cars...I do notice that lots of new hondas and acuras rear brakes go out first. But doesnt bother me.
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                  your best bet is mid-generation vehicles.

First year vehicles have problems to work out, and every year after, the manufacturer starts looking for ways to save money and build them cheaper. By the end of the life cycle, the model has lost refinement and gotten cheaper/poorer build quality.

Usually by mid-gen, they'll start to add a few bells and whistles here and there, or some special models, and then by the end they get phased out and the last year of the gen is typically rental car grade.
                  How would you suggest they build them cheaper? They aren't going to spends hundreds of thousands to retool something that works fine. And in fact engineering even works to improve discontinued models that still have problems.
                  '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

138k, had it since 94k. Not a lick of issues. Tranny shifts hard sometimes but not any harder than my CB. Haven't experienced any SRS or body rust issues.

I want a newer accord and was gonna go for 2008 but maybe not. Was thinking about 06/07 so I might go that route.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                    Originally posted by Jarrett
                    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post

138k, had it since 94k. Not a lick of issues. Tranny shifts hard sometimes but not any harder than my CB. Haven't experienced any SRS or body rust issues.

I want a newer accord and was gonna go for 2008 but maybe not. Was thinking about 06/07 so I might go that route.
                      06/07 definitely.

My 01 has 190k on it and it throwing trans codes.
                      No subframe rust that I can see
                      SRS has been on since I bought the car.
                      MRT
                      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                      Originally posted by Tippey764
                      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                      Originally posted by deevergote
                      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I don't remember specifically suggesting to buy end of gen vehicles, but I do support and push buying CPO.

Odly, both car's I have owned were both end of gens..

My 93 SE and my 2002 SE LOL.

From my personal experience, I could support buying end of gens.

I don't believe they slack off on the end of the generation.

Buying mid gen is fine, as most problems have worked themselves out, but that is not always true.

With the 6th, the transmission problems were widespread....whether you bought early, mid, or late, the problems were there, especially for the v6....

The 4th gen was the last generation to have a flagship end model...

The 93 SE had a few goodies that seperated it from the rest of the gen. Starting with the 5th gens, the removed the SE moniker and made it Special Edition...but it wasn't as fancy as the previous SE's...

As for my 2002, I have had 0 problems. The trans does act weird sometimes(like not upshifting) but I change the fluid here and there, and so far so good. I actually just noticed a tad of rust where the fenders attach to the upper wheel well...not sure what I can do about it, but since its sparse, I may be able to fix it.

And they have cases all the way back to 1990 it seems.

Comment

but the first like are cars that are first in a generation. not buying first cas in a generation makes more sense than last in a generation
                          FRIENDS
                          DONT LET
                          FRIENDS
                          ROLL ON
                          ROTA'S

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                            I actually just noticed a tad of rust where the fenders attach to the upper wheel well...not sure what I can do about it, but since its sparse, I may be able to fix it.
                            Keep oil on it, like wd40 or something just like it. I obviously won't fix it but it will stop it from getting any worse if you keep up w/ it. Works well

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post

The 4th gen was the last generation to have a flagship end model...
                              The 9th gen has a high end exclusive trim level again

Go look at the touring trim level sedan.

Comment

Working...
                              X