CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Old 09-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
zedjr10
Gold Member

zedjr10 may have said something they shouldn't have...
AC question

I was trying to add a few ounces of r134a to my system without having to evacuate adn recharge as i am only a few ounces low from when i didn't add enough a year ago. When equalizing the pressure from low side port a bunch of green liquid came out. I am assuming that is my oil but wanted to ask first. So now i am probably going to just evacuate it all, pull a vacuum adn recharge. Do i need to add oil? and is that green stuff that came out oil or just colored r134a?
zedjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
The green dye is a dye added to a system to detect leaks. You pick up the leak via infrared light & goggles. If one pressurizes the system and there's a chance of a leak they'll add an oz. to the mix when filling the system.
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #3
zedjr10
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf99 View Post
The green dye is a dye added to a system to detect leaks. You pick up the leak via infrared light & goggles. If one pressurizes the system and there's a chance of a leak they'll add an oz. to the mix when filling the system.
no dye has been added. I replaced entire ac system a year ago. No dye was added when recharged.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
If you used cans of R134 from an auto parts store, many of them typically contain dye.

INVENTORY REDUCTION! LOTS of CB7 parts for sale or FREE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:27 PM   #5
zedjr10
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
If you used cans of R134 from an auto parts store, many of them typically contain dye.
There was no dye additive in cans. AM sure. I am thinking it was left over dye from a previous user of the manifold gauge. AS i was equalizing the low pressure line first and open both valves so i could make sure no air would be left in lines. No way would the compressor oil would come out. Right? That was my main concern. I added a few ounces and my pressure readings are 210 high side and up to 40 on low then a few seconds before clutch engages the low side goes down to 15. Then it starts to equalizes with high side as compressor cuts off. The high side goes from 170 to 210 with ambient temp of 80. IS this the normal cycle. As i was adding the freon i forget not to turn can upside down and am worried i damaged something. I thought the low side should get up to 40psi with compressor on and sort of stay there until the compressor cuts off. I was definitely low on freon before all of this as compressor ran all the time and bubbles were in sight glass. Just didn't care as it cooled fine. Only days hotter than 92 did i see a slight problem with cooling. I am sort of thinking this is the normal cycle but not sure and need my ac tomorrow not to goink out. So i guess my real question is this. Is it normal for low side pressure to drop right before the compressor disengages. Or do i have a problem and it is the low pressure switch telling the compressor to disengage.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: