Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about doing the NYC Bike Tour next year......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about doing the NYC Bike Tour next year......

http://www.bikenewyork.org/ride/five-boro-bike-tour/

Ok so here's the deal. I heard about this a few years ago and I thought the idea was awesome. I'd love to run the NYC Marathon, I can't think of any event as well know, but I wouldn't make it passed 4 miles lol and that is 26.

This is a 40 mile event(unless you take a provided short cut, which shortens it by 4 miles)

It is not a competition, but a fun event complete with a Party at the finish line, hence why it's called a Bike Tour.

So basically the reason for this thread is to see if anyone on here in the NE region(or at all) has done this event.

And to get some advice from the cyclists on here.

I don't own a bike and I am going to be looking for one. My budget is kind of tight but I know you don't need a $5k bike to pull of this event, as it's open to people as young as 6 I think, and they get all kinds of people participating.

So I wanted some advice on bikes and I guess also training tips. That site has training laid out, but I was just looking for some tips and such from guys who bike pretty reguarly.

As it stands now, Im pretty out of shape, but given a time frame of 730am to 4pm, Im pretty confident I could bike from my house to my job which is around 30 miles. Unfortunately that route is not bike friendly so I can't use it to practice but im about to research trails in my area so I can work up to 40 miles.

So I know GeoffM bikes long distance, and Yaw did a metric ton of NYC biking....

I know im going to need accessories too, like a helmet(mandatory) and water bottles, a good pair of shorts etc.

Im hoping that I can get a decent bike for around $2-300.

I know that's pretty low, and I guess I could go higher but at the end of the day the bike is pretty important, but as long as it doesn't fall apart, it only fulfills one job and if I can push it the 40 miles, then it doesn't need to be fancy.

Right off the bat, id like to avoid multi speed bikes.....I fucking hate geared bikes and I think Id be better off with a one speed made for road/distance but if im misinformed then please help me out.

So im opened to suggestions, blogs to check out, reading materials whatever.

Im going to continue to research this on my own, including trying to find someone in person, who's done the event, so I can pick their brain so you don't have to go crazy researching for links etc...

Just pointers!

Thanks!

And if anyone is interested in joining, my buddy said he'd do it, so that's two of us.

Check the website for my info, its in May and about $80 to register.

Update-

I remembered that my uncle has some street bikes that are pretty old but classics, one is a schwin.

Im going to reach out and see if I can borrow one.

Also I found two more people at my job who are willing to do it,so thats 4 people.

If we could get a group together that would be sweet!

I also did some research and found a lot of interesting stories, basically a lot of it is stop and go, so it's not so bad. I also researched geared bikes and I guess they have use's for hills.....so Ill probably try and get a light one.

No bags are allowed anymore since the Boston bombing, so bringing snacks and spare tire/tools and having room for excess clothing will be tricky but I have some ideas.

For water, im thinking about getting a camel back. No need for water bottles.
    Last edited by Ralphie; 05-20-2013, 03:33 PM.

Comment

I just bought a Giant Defy 3. All said and done it's usually in the $1k range.
      With my discount it was more like $860.

The bike I did most of my riding (and learning) on was a Trek (3700?).
      It was free, but I think they're under $500 new.

A geared mountain bike is my advice to you.
      Sidewalks are fine, it has a tough frame and strong tires.
      I think the new ones have lockout shocks and disc brakes. Not sure if they're hydraulic.

Do some research into the shifters. I put money down on mine and then did the research.
      Kinda backwards but I ended up with decent hardware. Shimano Sora.

My adventure into biking progressed like this. The infant stages are very difficult.
      1. Have some of the desires I list below
      2. Get a bike that fits well
      3. Find some fun easy routes to practice on. Start building mileage
      4. Get an app for your phone that tracks your rides and puts them on Facebook. Bragging to your friends helps keep you going
      5. Watch the mileage numbers add up. Brag about hitting 500
      6. I quickly came across a water shortage. Camelbak was the answer, and I'm still using 4 years later. 2L capacity
      7. Really start building the mileage and practicing. Step from 20-40-47-55-60-70 mile rides
      8. Buy slicks for your wheels. Notice improvement
      9. Buy bike clothes. My genitals were so SO happy
      10. Compete in races/events (You already found yours)
      11. Get a road bike to compete with the people who are destroying you on your mtn bike
      12. Get a speedo on the road bike to up your average speed.
      13. Present

FYI, when you achieve athletic perfection/that burn you always hear people talk about, it is pure bliss.
      I've discussed it and had people agree with me that it's a high feeling.

My driving goals in the beginning were to:
      Not be fat anymore
      Stop breathing heavily when I was done walking around
      Not end up with a bunch of fat people diseases(Diabetes, skin issues, fleas, etc)
      Get a girlfriend

Current goals:
      Competition biking
      Sponsorship
      Loose this pesky gut/Get under 200 lbs. I'm stuck around 210.

Kind of all over the place. Getting started and keeping with it is the most difficult. Any questions let me know.

Last thoughts: If you can find trails around you, and achieve the high feeling, you'll be hooked.
      The pretty nature combined with the high is remarkable.

Here are the bike shorts I just bought. Decently cheap, amazon prime, and the pad is fucking amazing.
      http://www.amazon.com/Panel-Cycling-.../dp/B006GQSOVY
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Biking jerseys (at least the one I have) have 3 pockets sewn into the back.
        I keep my phone, wallet, and keys back there. Usually in plastic bags. In the winter to protect from kicked up moisture, in the summer to protect from sweat.
        The CamelBak has some small storage in it.

Hopefully that's enough storage for you.

In Google maps, there are bicycling layers. I forgot to include that in my numbered list below, but it too was important.
        Switching from sidewalks to Rail to trails was another defining moment for me.
        MRT
        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
        Originally posted by Tippey764
        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
        Originally posted by deevergote
        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Hit up craigslist. You can find some quality bikes for low dollars if you search around. People are always flipping bikes or getting rid of old equipment when they upgrade.

While a road bike would probably be easiest for this course I'd suggest getting a geared mountain bike. You can find one pretty cheap that will last forever if taken care of. Plus, the used road bike scene has been artificially inflated due to hipsters.

Also, buy some padded biking shorts. Your balls will thank you.

Originally posted by Maple50175
          Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Shop around at some high-end bike stores and find exactly what you want... then yes, hit Craigslist to find it used Keep in mind that it'd be wise to do a full tuneup on any used bike.

I just got back on my bike after about 14 years. I barely rode the thing since I started driving in 1999! It's a $200 Ross mountain bike. Worn tires, dirty as hell, shifters and brakes barely work. All I did was hose it down and spray some lube on the moving parts. (so, do as I say, not as I do!) It's a bit small for me, now that I've learned about proper frame sizing, and I don't come close to full extension when pedaling. Probably why my knees and hips are messed up...

ANYWAY, after nearly half my life off the bike, I took it out for a 31 mile ride the other week. Ended up really sore, with nasty blisters on both hands. You DEFINITELY have to work up to that if you expect to make it through without being miserable! I think you can work up to it by next May though.
            I might be interested in joining you, even. I'm hoping to drop $500 on a nice Specialized bike sometime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
              I just bought a Giant Defy 3. All said and done it's usually in the $1k range.
              With my discount it was more like $860.

The bike I did most of my riding (and learning) on was a Trek (3700?).
              It was free, but I think they're under $500 new.

A geared mountain bike is my advice to you.
              Sidewalks are fine, it has a tough frame and strong tires.
              I think the new ones have lockout shocks and disc brakes. Not sure if they're hydraulic.

Do some research into the shifters. I put money down on mine and then did the research.
              Kinda backwards but I ended up with decent hardware. Shimano Sora.

My adventure into biking progressed like this. The infant stages are very difficult.
              1. Have some of the desires I list below
              2. Get a bike that fits well
              3. Find some fun easy routes to practice on. Start building mileage
              4. Get an app for your phone that tracks your rides and puts them on Facebook. Bragging to your friends helps keep you going
              5. Watch the mileage numbers add up. Brag about hitting 500
              6. I quickly came across a water shortage. Camelbak was the answer, and I'm still using 4 years later. 2L capacity
              7. Really start building the mileage and practicing. Step from 20-40-47-55-60-70 mile rides
              8. Buy slicks for your wheels. Notice improvement
              9. Buy bike clothes. My genitals were so SO happy
              10. Compete in races/events (You already found yours)
              11. Get a road bike to compete with the people who are destroying you on your mtn bike
              12. Get a speedo on the road bike to up your average speed.
              13. Present

FYI, when you achieve athletic perfection/that burn you always hear people talk about, it is pure bliss.
              I've discussed it and had people agree with me that it's a high feeling.

My driving goals in the beginning were to:
              Not be fat anymore
              Stop breathing heavily when I was done walking around
              Not end up with a bunch of fat people diseases(Diabetes, skin issues, fleas, etc)
              Get a girlfriend

Current goals:
              Competition biking
              Sponsorship
              Loose this pesky gut/Get under 200 lbs. I'm stuck around 210.

Kind of all over the place. Getting started and keeping with it is the most difficult. Any questions let me know.

Last thoughts: If you can find trails around you, and achieve the high feeling, you'll be hooked.
              The pretty nature combined with the high is remarkable.

Here are the bike shorts I just bought. Decently cheap, amazon prime, and the pad is fucking amazing.
              http://www.amazon.com/Panel-Cycling-.../dp/B006GQSOVY
              Thanks a ton dude! I know we have had our differences, but I really appreciate you stepping up and offering advice.

From what I can tell, they suggest going with either a hybrid or road bike for this and not a mountain bike, or only as a last resort. I guess since they are usually the heavier of the 3, it's just more weight to pull especially the good ones with shocks etc.

I really want to do this just to do it, and to experience it, but I think if I could get into cycling and do it reguarly, then it would be a great way to stay in shape and get everyone off my back as far as excercise goes lol.

Ya I have nothing but nature where I live, so Im eager to get out and ride. Good time to think and just relax. I use to LOVE riding as a youth. I rode all over my neighrborhood, to the beach and back, and we use to rock a 3 wheeler with a basket to get around to skateboard spots. Used to carry chips and soda with us LOL. Getto fab.

Im definitely going to get a camel back and bike clothing. I already have a cardio tracking app for my phone, but Ill look to see if there is a cycling app.

Right now im looking into getting a bike from my uncle. Iirc, he has a Schwinn road bike from the 70's. It was a smooth bike when I rode it as a kid, so after a good tuneup, it'll probably be a nice bike to rock.

also iirc, his gear switching was via triggers....pretty cool imo and a lot easier.

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post
              Hit up craigslist. You can find some quality bikes for low dollars if you search around. People are always flipping bikes or getting rid of old equipment when they upgrade.

While a road bike would probably be easiest for this course I'd suggest getting a geared mountain bike. You can find one pretty cheap that will last forever if taken care of. Plus, the used road bike scene has been artificially inflated due to hipsters.

Also, buy some padded biking shorts. Your balls will thank you.

Ya I always forget about craigslist. I haven't even checked on their yet. I was browsing Amazon and some brick and mortar sites.

The NYC Bike group recommends hybrid or road bikes over mountain bikes. I've always found them to be clunky, so my first choice will be a light road bike if I can find one. My uncle has an older schwinn, so im waiting to see if I can borrow it.

And you don't have to tell me about hipsters, Im from NYC, the capital of hipsters LOL.

They rock road bikes all day errr day. Some of them have some pretty nice customized ones. And you can see how well they hold up as some of them dudes ride around Manhattan 365 days a year.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Shop around at some high-end bike stores and find exactly what you want... then yes, hit Craigslist to find it used Keep in mind that it'd be wise to do a full tuneup on any used bike.

I just got back on my bike after about 14 years. I barely rode the thing since I started driving in 1999! It's a $200 Ross mountain bike. Worn tires, dirty as hell, shifters and brakes barely work. All I did was hose it down and spray some lube on the moving parts. (so, do as I say, not as I do!) It's a bit small for me, now that I've learned about proper frame sizing, and I don't come close to full extension when pedaling. Probably why my knees and hips are messed up...

ANYWAY, after nearly half my life off the bike, I took it out for a 31 mile ride the other week. Ended up really sore, with nasty blisters on both hands. You DEFINITELY have to work up to that if you expect to make it through without being miserable! I think you can work up to it by next May though.
              I might be interested in joining you, even. I'm hoping to drop $500 on a nice Specialized bike sometime soon.
              Where did you do 31 miles?!?!!?

I need to find somewhere around here, and im thinking of just riding up 537 to Ft Dix and back(around 60 miles)

It's just nerve wracking since 537 isn't bike friendly for a lot of sections, but it's the longest straight run with inclines I can think of since I drive it everyday.

Yea man, that'd be cool if you came along.

As far as full extension, from my research yesterday, if you're fully extending your legs on the downstroke, then your seat or bike is configured incorrectly. You're supposed to have a slight bend in your knee when on the downstroke.

So maybe you just need practice like me lol.

Ill keep this thread for updating as I progress along.

IM still waiting to see a response from Yaw, as he knows NYC very well and has put a few Bike miles in. He may have even done this before, can't recall.
              Last edited by Ralphie; 05-21-2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I posted the map of my ride to Facebook and tagged you, Ralph. It was just around Gloucester and Camden counties. Not the best route for a fun ride (one stretch was downright scary!)

I don't mean a full extension, but I'm quite sure I don't extend enough. My knees also come up too high, and I always ride in the hardest gear (my shifters never work properly, even though they're decent Shimano units.)

City riding scares me. Drivers simply do not pay attention to cyclists. Hell, I smacked a Lexus with my front wheel the other day as it sped through the crosswalk I was in! It would be good in a group, though. It's hard to ignore a whole bunch of people on bikes! Of course, if I come along, it'll probably end up being me and you wheezing to catch up to everyone else!

For your purposes, especially given where you live, a hybrid would be best. I don't imagine you're interested in doing any hardcore offroad riding, but there are some nice wooded areas and trails near you. Especially if you find a nice route down to work, since Dix is right there in the pine barrens!
                A full mountain bike would be heavy, and cumbersome on the road. A full street bike would be dangerous on anything that's not paved. I'm pretty sure the Specialized bike I'm looking at is a hybrid. For $500, it's a damn good bike.

If you ever want to come down here and check out the bike shop that I'll be going to, let me know. The dudes there are knowledgeable, and they don't try to sell you anything. You tell them what you want, and they'll tell you what your best options are.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  I posted the map of my ride to Facebook and tagged you, Ralph. It was just around Gloucester and Camden counties. Not the best route for a fun ride (one stretch was downright scary!)

I don't mean a full extension, but I'm quite sure I don't extend enough. My knees also come up too high, and I always ride in the hardest gear (my shifters never work properly, even though they're decent Shimano units.)

City riding scares me. Drivers simply do not pay attention to cyclists. Hell, I smacked a Lexus with my front wheel the other day as it sped through the crosswalk I was in! It would be good in a group, though. It's hard to ignore a whole bunch of people on bikes! Of course, if I come along, it'll probably end up being me and you wheezing to catch up to everyone else!

For your purposes, especially given where you live, a hybrid would be best. I don't imagine you're interested in doing any hardcore offroad riding, but there are some nice wooded areas and trails near you. Especially if you find a nice route down to work, since Dix is right there in the pine barrens!
                  A full mountain bike would be heavy, and cumbersome on the road. A full street bike would be dangerous on anything that's not paved. I'm pretty sure the Specialized bike I'm looking at is a hybrid. For $500, it's a damn good bike.

If you ever want to come down here and check out the bike shop that I'll be going to, let me know. The dudes there are knowledgeable, and they don't try to sell you anything. You tell them what you want, and they'll tell you what your best options are.
                  Ya man that's what im saying. Riding in traffic etc takes getting used too, and there are rules and hand signals and a lot going on. Im up for it, but im not an idiot. I know im a newb and need to work up too that.

Im not even really interested in riding with traffic...

The NYC bike tour is all on closed courses, so it's not even like I need exp for that. I just need to get back into the swing of things and ill be good. I have no doubt about biking 40 miles, esp since its mostly stop and go and a lot of rest spots. It's just a fun bike ride basically. As long as you don't quit, you're good!

Ya as of now, if my uncle gives me a bike, since it's free, im not arguing with him lol. So I wont stress. If he isn't interested, then ill have to look into buying one and ill let you know if I come down to check that out(among your newly minted cb and CTSv LOL)

Comment

Stop and go can potentially be worse! After a while, your ass gets sore... and if you hop off the bike long enough, you really don't want to get back on it to finish the ride!

Closed course would be really cool. Now I'm even more interested!

I never use hand signals when I ride. I've seen riders do it, and NOBODY knows what they mean. I once saw a rider throw the signal for a right turn (riding in the road, like a car... a lot of those serious guys do that...) and then swing left so he could take the turn without running wide into the oncoming lane. The car behind him nearly hit him as they made the turn sharply, thinking the rider was going left!

Drivers are clueless. I've always been cautious of people on bikes, since I rode until I was 19, and swore I would always be conscious of cyclists. Far too many people ignore crosswalks (a cyclist should always walk their bike across a crosswalk... I do when I'm in a high-traffic area, not on empty back roads), run stop signs (a rolling stop may not be a big deal, but you're looking for cars, not the bicycle rushing at you!), and drive far too close to the shoulder (the only place for cyclists to safely ride!) Add in the occasional asshole that likes to scare the bejeezus out of a cyclist by honking or yelling at them... and it's a hazardous thing!

I'm still working out the best routes around my area to ride. I just recently discovered a slightly longer (but much more enjoyable) route to my local Wawa.

Comment

Ya that's true!

Oh yea dude, this 40 mile course is closed to ALL traffic. Vehicular and pedestrian. You basically ride your bike through the 5 boro's, over 3 bridges, and get amazing views that you would rarely get driving. That's why I want to do it, so fucking awesome. Especially since they allow you to bring a camera....and even though you can't stop to take pictures unless you pull off to the side.....when I HAVE to stop for traffic rerouting, thats a great time to snap photos.

Of course absolutely NO pictures from bridges, as Port Authority police will confiscate cameras for that.

If I don't have to buy a bike, im buying a go pro!

Comment

I was going to say GoPro! I wonder if the Port Authority would have a problem with one. If they're confiscating cameras, they might not like that.

Comment

Nah they only confiscate them if you take pictures of the bridge or its structures.

I would be more interested in the view from the bridge but I wouldn't risk it anyway.

I would just want to take photos and pos some video of the course at different points.

Comment

I'd be the one dumbass taking pictures of the bridge itself, since bridges and their architecture fascinate me!

Comment

Bike tour or bike-fest if your soon bike-fest stay alert lots of cops yo.

Comment

Working...
                              X