Man accused of writing N* word to waitress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man accused of writing N* word to waitress

October 22, 2013 Nashville Tennessee (WKRN-TV) - The man accused of scribbling the N-word on a receipt that waitress Toni Christina Jenkins said a customer left for her last month at a Red Lobster in Tennessee has denied any wrongdoing, vowing to sue the franchise in the coming weeks.

Devin Barnes says he has been falsely accused.

His father called him, asking, 'What happened? Someone wrote the N-word on your receipt,'" Barnes said today, adding that his dad had gotten wind of the incident on the Internet. "I thought he was lying. But I pulled it up on her [Jenkins] Facebook page and just thought, 'I didn't write this, I don't know who wrote it."

His problems started after Jenkins, 19, posted a picture of the receipt on Facebook Sept. 10 with the words "none" on the "tip" line and the N-word on the "total" line at the Franklin, Tenn., restaurant.

"I was just stunned that it happened," Jenkins told ABC News earlier this month. "It's not something that you think in our generation would actually take place, so I was just blown away by it."

Barnes, 20, acknowledges writing "none" on the tip line but says he left the "total" line blank and signed his name.

Either way, the picture soon went viral, with people donating more than $10,000 to the waitress while condemning Barnes for his alleged actions.

The picture of the receipt contained confidential information about Barnes, including his name, the last digits of his card number and his illegible signature. Barnes said he had to change his banking information and order a new debit card.

He says he has also received death threats.

What do you guys think about this?
    FRIENDS
    DONT LET
    FRIENDS
    ROLL ON
    ROTA'S

also, people donated over $10K due to the situation

here's a pic of the receipt

and a pic of the waitress with the $10K + check

FRIENDS
    DONT LET
    FRIENDS
    ROLL ON
    ROTA'S

Comment

ummm leaving a tip at a restaurant is completely optional

and I thought we have freedom of speech in USA. you can say or write any word you wish. am I missing something?

I think this is a little ridiculous but I am happy for the girl that she made some money out of this.

Comment

The handwriting looks completely different to me...
        Originally posted by sweet91accord
        if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

if you look at the receipt, the hand writting is different.

also the guy is suing the girl for false racial accusations. i personally think she will crack and spill that this was not written by the customer.
          FRIENDS
          DONT LET
          FRIENDS
          ROLL ON
          ROTA'S

Comment

Why did people give her money?? It does look like its his writing though.

And yes were supposed to have freedom of speech. But there's a difference when political correctness gets into the mix. Now it's its beyond defamation, its considered a hate crime.
            Last edited by Quashish; 10-26-2013, 01:15 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
            It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Scammers!!! They are everywhere!!!

I see what looks like 3 different people's handwriting on that receipt, and two different pens used.

It's probably her writing in the 'total'... the crazy shit people do for publicity and money... just look at Break or YouTube...

I would bust up laughing so hard if that '10k' check the waitress was given was a fake, she cashes it, goes and spends 10k, and then the bank takes the money back, and she is left owing 10k.
              PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Actually i think you guys are right, the N and E look a little different.

Also, how do you walk out of a red lobster only paying $45

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
                It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

The mix of cursive and print letters looks to be present in both words. Not likely something a scamming waitress would think of emulating in a spur of the moment thing.

I've worked in restaurants, and I've seen some MAJORLY shady stuff go down... so I know that it's entirely possible that she did this just to screw a guy that stiffed her. Optional or not, being stiffed is infuriating (and "optional" is questionable... it's not required, but servers are still taxed on the assumption that they are tipped at least 10%, and they are required to share a portion of their tips as calculated by a percentage of their sales with the support staff...)

Still, as much as I'd like to defend the guy... I think he wrote it.
                  Should it be such a big deal? No. Should the girl have gotten $10,000 because she whined about it on the internet? No. Should the guy have the right to sue her for putting his personal information on the internet? Yes. Especially since she profited by doing so.
                  Regardless of whether or not the guy left a racist asshole comment, he has still suffered far more by her actions than she has by his.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    The mix of cursive and print letters looks to be present in both words. Not likely something a scamming waitress would think of emulating in a spur of the moment thing.

I've worked in restaurants, and I've seen some MAJORLY shady stuff go down... so I know that it's entirely possible that she did this just to screw a guy that stiffed her. Optional or not, being stiffed is infuriating (and "optional" is questionable... it's not required, but servers are still taxed on the assumption that they are tipped at least 10%, and they are required to share a portion of their tips as calculated by a percentage of their sales with the support staff...)

Still, as much as I'd like to defend the guy... I think he wrote it.
                    Should it be such a big deal? No. Should the girl have gotten $10,000 because she whined about it on the internet? No. Should the guy have the right to sue her for putting his personal information on the internet? Yes. Especially since she profited by doing so.
                    Regardless of whether or not the guy left a racist asshole comment, he has still suffered far more by her actions than she has by his
                    i totally agree with you on this, except for the part that you think he did it lol. the receipt does different hand writing.

she looks like someone that will scam/screw/make a big deal of things, and no her race has nothing to do with it
                    FRIENDS
                    DONT LET
                    FRIENDS
                    ROLL ON
                    ROTA'S

Comment

Judging someone by how they look is pointless... even more so when doing it by a single picture. Don't waste brain cells on that.

Don't look at the pressure applied, or the size or hastiness of the writing. Look at the formation of the letters. The usage of mixed cursive and print (not very common, and VERY uncommon among younger people who rarely use cursive.)
                      There are very unique features present in both words.
                      If he didn't write it, then someone put some serious thought into making it look like he did. I'd be curious to see a professional handwriting analyst's take on it.

Comment

its totally different handwriting made to look sloppy like the accused's..its pretty obvious..it almost looks like a different pen too.

lesson here: guess i wont write anything witty on receipts again.. like for tip.

"Heres a tip, better service" not that ive had to do anything like that in forever lol, i try to leave 20% and a penny, im cheap. if youre a douche you get nothing.

Comment

Scam!

She should be forced to pay the guy the $10k+ for the defamation of character.

And if she was a complete douche of a waitress I wouldn't have tipped her ether.

I think it's retarded that waiters/waitresses expect a tip. I wish there were two tip options on the check. One for the cook staff and the other for the wait staff. There are times when my food is cooked perfectly and the wait staff are sub-par... I would feel bad not to leave a tip because the waiter/waitress was a slacker when the food was excellent. Or vise versa.
                          MR Thread
                          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Waiters/waitresses make a living off of tips. I tip 95% of the time. The other 5%, I may not have enough to tip (very rare), or the service was beyond horrible.

Still, the writing is misleading. It's possible that he got careless and lazy when he wrote it, and it's possible he did not write it at all. Both parties are at the maturing into adult age. As a young man, I could see it being immaturely funny to him writing that. To the young lady, I doubt she knew she would benefit from the ordeal. Takes creativity and thought to cook up a story such as that. I honestly don't know. Anything is possible. The Es in both words (looks to follow the same curvature and flow), to me, suggest it's possible he quickly wrote it as a cruel and mean inside joke that I think is highly immature and inappropriate.
                            The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Just a second thought, also isn't that receipt property of Red Lobster? Also I believe she broke some confidentiality requirements by making an unauthorized duplication of the receipt, and also posting it to public domain; the only people who should be able to do that, is Red Lobster, and the guy who's receipt it is; Red Lobster is bound by PCI compliance, duplicating/storing information is ok, but they would never do such a thing as upload it to public domain.

I could easily come up with 100, even 1000 organizations that should have received that donation instead of her...

She should not be rewarded for her actions period.
                              Last edited by cloudasc; 10-26-2013, 05:34 PM.
                              PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Working...
                              X