Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

compression low in numbers 1 and 3 cylinders!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compression low in numbers 1 and 3 cylinders!

So I checked the compression and 2 of them were good except for cylinders 1 and 3 they were at about 85 to 90. So I put a cap of oil in it too see if it will bump the compression up and the 3rd cylinder went up to 120 and 1st cylider only went up to 92. ?? What could be wrong. Piston rings going bad or head gasket? It does not smoke unless I floor it a little white smoke will come out. Car does not over heat at al. And also its building up to muh pressure near my pcv valve causing oil to leak thru my breather filter.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176523

You can check other things for headgasket failure. Change your oil and see what color your current oil is. Then look in your coolant and see if you see brown fluid. If none of those are immediately visible there's a good chance you don't have a blown headgasket, but it's not ruled out. The white smoke is typically telling of an engine burning coolant.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Minimum serviceable compression is 135 psi.
      You have two cylinders much lower than that. It's time for engine rebuild regardless of how good your head gasket might be.
      A&P-IA

Comment

I have looked at rebuild kits I wanted to but the performance rebuild kit but do not if they are good quality parts .

Comment

Do a cylinder leakdown test, That will tell you where the problem is.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I think I'm just going to take it out and do a full build .. sick of all these problems

Comment

Originally posted by flashbycb7 View Post
              I think I'm just going to take it out and do a full build .. sick of all these problems
              What happens when you put it back together and you still have no compression on one cylinder?

You can't fix a problem without first finding the problem.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Engine tear down and inspection reveal problems with engine, 99.9% of the times.

For rebuild, replace all hard parts that do not meet spec. Replace all gaskets and seals with new.

There's no worries about one cylinder being low on compression if you do the work properly.
                A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                  Engine tear down and inspection reveal problems with engine, 99.9% of the times.

Yea not 100% of the time.
                  For the VERY minimal effort of doing a leak down test, it would be stupid not to do it.

I can't understand why it's even being considered not to do it.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

I hbave never did a leak down test before so not to sure how to but whe I said rebuild I mean on another motor becaue I have a.spare f22a6

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                      For the VERY minimal effort of doing a leak down test, it would be stupid not to do it.

anyone with a pair of eyes can inspect a full tear down and see what has happened to it. sometimes you end up finding a lot more than you wanted to.

kinda why im doing a full rebuild on this 68 mustang that is in my shop. it actually came in running...
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                        anyone with a pair of eyes can inspect a full tear down and see what has happened to it.
                        You mean, Anyone with a pair of eyes (that knows what they are looking for) can inspect a full tear down and (Potentially) see what has happened to it.

Eh Whatever, It's not my money or time.
                        I've given my advice.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post

I could have said 100% of times that you'll find problems and parts being out of spec based on my personal experiences. I said 99.9% of times to be conservative taking consideration of other people who may have no or little knowledge or experience on performing proper engine rebuild.

The OP's #3 cylinder compression test had better result after putting oil in the cylinder, but #1 came up by 2 psi. This means #1's issue may be head gasket or, likely, valves and #3 cylinder's issue may be rings and bore. This test alone is telling me the engine rebuild is called for.

Performing any more test or inspection on such engine will be a waste of time, 100% if you ask me.
                          Last edited by oyajicool; 06-18-2012, 11:54 PM.
                          A&P-IA

Comment

Thank you. I was planning on taking it to a machine shop so they can inspect it .

Comment

Working...
                            X